The NBA Thread (70 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
No offense but that's incredibly stupid idea Serge. This the perfect time to flesh out the team with 3rd premier top talent, Lebron is old and this is the only time you have the cap space and free agency talent to get someone that will play with AD for foreseeable future after Lebron declined or retired after upcoming short window to get rings (see his ceiling as alpha for 3 more years at most).

You can always flesh out with depth role players another time with trades later on, especially when you will have ring chasing quality vets on minimum wanting to join that may be close to level to the types you would spend 7-8m on. You dont save cap space for depth. Not when this is THE window to get another top shelf player that may define the staying power for Lakers in long term.

Kawhi is unlikely dream, but pursue it, if not him, Kyrie, Butler, Beal (in trade, super unlikely) and finally Kemba in that order.

You gave up 4th pick and 3 other 1st for AD, don't squander the opportunity of maximizing his potential use by using money for depth that's gonna be temporary. You gave up 3 young players that could been depth in the team with cost effective contract control (except Ingram with expiring rookie deal), it's the cost of getting someone like AD. Dont leave him hanging with Kuz and some depth players after Lebron isnt effective anymore down the line.

P.S having said that love your Terrence Ross idea, he is super underrated, seems to improved a ton since leaving Raptors.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
If we kept Brook for the vet min, we would have his bird rights now. Thanks FO, real smooth

- - - Updated - - -

People Comparing this trade to the Nets-Celtics trade :lol:

:rofl:

On what planet are they similar :lol:
Garnett was 37, Pierce and Terry were 36.

Anthony Davis is a top 5 player in this league at 26 years old

And the Lakers still have 1st round draft picks in 2020, 2022, 2023, and 2025.

FYI. Danny Ainge is the most overrated GM in all of sports. If his good buddy Kevin Mchale didn't gift wrap Kevin Garnett to him, he has zero tituli on his GM resume. And that was 11 years ago.

Before the trade "Lonzo and Ingram are trash. The Pelicans wouldn't want those two bums"

After the trade "OMG SMH the Lakers gave up their young assets for Anthony Davis"

Agenda much, twitterverse?

- - - Updated - - -

How is this for a hot take.

You know who would really intrigue me for a free agent guard?

..................................................................................................................................................

#Dloading

- - - Updated - - -

@ALC @zizinho @Post Ironic @Osman

I need to be here in this thread because I simply cannot deal with anything Juve related right now :sigh:
DLO? I wouldnt mind him for the right price but i think he gets paid by PHX. We have to go all in for Kawhi if its true he wants to come

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No offense but that's incredibly stupid idea Serge. This the perfect time to flesh out the team with 3rd premier top talent, Lebron is old and this is the only time you have the cap space and free agency talent to get someone that will play with AD for foreseeable future after Lebron declined or retired after upcoming short window to get rings (see his ceiling as alpha for 3 more years at most).

You can always flesh out with depth role players another time with trades later on, especially when you will have ring chasing quality vets on minimum wanting to join that may be close to level to the types you would spend 7-8m on. You dont save cap space for depth. Not when this is THE window to get another top shelf player that may define the staying power for Lakers in long term.

Kawhi is unlikely dream, but pursue it, if not him, Kyrie, Butler, Beal (in trade, super unlikely) and finally Kemba in that order.

You gave up 4th pick and 3 other 1st for AD, don't squander the opportunity of maximizing his potential use by using money for depth that's gonna be temporary. You gave up 3 young players that could been depth in the team with cost effective contract control (except Ingram with expiring rookie deal), it's the cost of getting someone like AD. Dont leave him hanging with Kuz and some depth players after Lebron isnt effective anymore down the line.

P.S having said that love your Terrence Ross idea, he is super underrated, seems to improved a ton since leaving Raptors.

Getting a Kyrie/Kemba type of talent in the back court is all well and good, but they are woefully short in the back court right now. 1 guy won't be enough unfortunately. There is no other team next year that can say that they have 2 of the Top 5-7 players in the world except for the Lakers. Under normal circumstances where there is a fairly complete roster around them, then yes, I would say go all in on a 3rd star. That isn't the case though. You have Kuzma, AD, Lebron. Now, personally and objectively, I would go to battle with those as my top 3 all day, every day.

But after that? Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga, ....................................................................

Uhm.........................................................................

...............................................................................................

Can you see my point?

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

I agree, we need that 3rd max. Kawhi is the perfect fit next to these two, and perfect age to take over with AD once James leaves, we have to be all over him. As for filling out the roster, wait for some good players to be bought out mid season, no need to rush things.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Getting a Kyrie/Kemba type of talent in the back court is all well and good, but they are woefully short in the back court right now. 1 guy won't be enough unfortunately. There is no other team next year that can say that they have 2 of the Top 5-7 players in the world except for the Lakers. Under normal circumstances where there is a fairly complete roster around them, then yes, I would say go all in on a 3rd star. That isn't the case though. You have Kuzma, AD, Lebron. Now, personally and objectively, I would go to battle with those as my top 3 all day, every day.

But after that? Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga, ....................................................................

Uhm.........................................................................

...............................................................................................

Can you see my point?
I see your point but spending your cap space on quantity will hurt more then you think down the line. Get that 3rd star and you will have for sure 4 starters, 3 top level and one good. Then you need to get clever with finding the 5th starter and an alright cheap minimum bench of players dying to play with the hottest players.

It's really do or die moment for the longevity of potential championships runs, so that 3rd star needs to come for sure.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I just get concerned with what the rest of the team will look like if there are 3 superstars and Kuzma, who could end up being all-star level playing with AD and Lebron.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not against a 3rd superstar joining the team. I would just prefer that it be in the back court.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I just get concerned with what the rest of the team will look like if there are 3 superstars and Kuzma, who could end up being all-star level playing with AD and Lebron.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not against a 3rd superstar joining the team. I would just prefer that it be in the back court.
We still have the mid-level exception to go for someone like Reddick, Matthews, Ariza, etc.

Not that any of those will be who we get perhaps... but we can get a back court shooter or two for sure.

I keep reading we aren’t going to have max cap space because the deal will close July 6th instead of 30th...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
If we sign a max player on a discount, how long before we have bird rights and can bump their salary up to the max, going into luxury tax?
It would be two years, under the "Early Bird Exemption Rights". They would be eligible for the greater of 175% of their current salary or the NBA Average.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It would be two years, under the "Early Bird Exemption Rights". They would be eligible for the greater of 175% of their current salary or the NBA Average.
Thanks. I just don’t see what the incentive is for someone like Kawhi, who has multiple championships, to leave money on the table to come here. Who knows though.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Thanks. I just don’t see what the incentive is for someone like Kawhi, who has multiple championships, to leave money on the table to come here. Who knows though.

He is the total opposite to Kevin Durant.

He can win with other stars on his team, and he can win without them. I don't see then getting Kawhi. let's be honest here. He doesn't need the Lakers and he doesn't need Lebron.

It's all well and good that the Lakers now have a seat at the table for him, but that is the extent of it.

My main guy in Free Agency is Kyrie. He fills a need, he's still young, and more importantly, and this CANNOT be overstated at all, is that he knows how to play with Lebron. Getting Kyrie Irving on this team gives them a much better chance to win the title this coming season.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Kawhi would come here to grow his brand, so basically if his uncle is in his ear and telling him to join us. LA is a huge market and the Lakers are a worldwide brand. No better place to go to if thats what he (his uncle) is after. And we give him probably the best chance to win the title again next year, assuming we stay healthy. Us or NY is the only places hed go if he leaves imo

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Kawhi would come here to grow his brand, so basically if his uncle is in his ear and telling him to join us. LA is a huge market and the Lakers are a worldwide brand. No better place to go to if thats what he (his uncle) is after. And we give him probably the best chance to win the title again next year, assuming we stay healthy. Us or NY is the only places hed go if he leaves imo
Here is the issue with this. The NBA, by and Large is a guard driven league right now. Who is in the Lakers back court as of today?

They will need quality at the PG position especially. Kyrie is ready made for this team. He is familiar with Lebron. When Lebron went to Miami, they didn't win in his first year, and that was with year 8 Lebron. They didn't win in his first year back in Cleveland either. The common denominator is that there was no one on either team that knew how to play alongside him.

This is year 17 Lebron now. I would certainly not complain if they got Kawhi :lol: Hell fucking no I would not complain. However, expectations would need to be tempered a little here.

If they do get Kawhi, I'll sign up as their shooting guard for 50.00 per day per diem money. Because I still have NBA 3 point range at age 49. I just need to stay on the offensive side of the court. Don't ask my old ass to run.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Here is the issue with this. The NBA, by and Large is a guard driven league right now. Who is in the Lakers back court as of today?

They will need quality at the PG position especially. Kyrie is ready made for this team. He is familiar with Lebron. When Lebron went to Miami, they didn't win in his first year, and that was with year 8 Lebron. They didn't win in his first year back in Cleveland either. The common denominator is that there was no one on either team that knew how to play alongside him.

This is year 17 Lebron now. I would certainly not complain if they got Kawhi :lol: Hell fucking no I would not complain. However, expectations would need to be tempered a little here.

If they do get Kawhi, I'll sign up as their shooting guard for 50.00 per day per diem money. Because I still have NBA 3 point range at age 49. I just need to stay on the offensive side of the court. Don't ask my old ass to run.
They probably win in Miami first year Lebron if he doesn't go awol so bad in the finals against Dallas after dominating the playoffs up to then. One of the more inexplicable occurrences in his career.

And they probably win first year in Cleveland if Kyrie and K Love don't miss the entire finals.

But I agree with your general point. Kyrie would be a fantastic addition, because our backcourt is ass right now, and we don't have much in the way of shooters.

By the way, you think we bring Bullock back? He had a rough finish to the season here, but so did everyone, and he can flat out shoot as a 3 and D guy. Could be a valuable piece of depth next year.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
They probably win in Miami first year Lebron if he doesn't go awol so bad in the finals against Dallas after dominating the playoffs up to then. One of the more inexplicable occurrences in his career.

And they probably win first year in Cleveland if Kyrie and K Love don't miss the entire finals.

But I agree with your general point. Kyrie would be a fantastic addition, because our backcourt is ass right now, and we don't have much in the way of shooters.

By the way, you think we bring Bullock back? He had a rough finish to the season here, but so did everyone, and he can flat out shoot as a 3 and D guy. Could be a valuable piece of depth next year.
The money has to be right to consider bringing Bullock back.

- - - Updated - - -

The money has to be right to consider bringing Bullock back.

And while what you said may be true, he was also not 34 years old in either instance. I don't think they can wait another year for a superstar team to gel together, which is what concerns me a little. Getting Kyrie instead of Kawhi still results in getting a superstar.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

The way i see it, a great PG is redundant in a Lebron driven team. Hes gonna handle the bball a lot and run the pnr with AD, so what we need around that is spot up shooting, so 2 guards that fit that and can play defense is what id like to add. Kyrie likes to have the ball a lot himself, Kawhi fits because he knows how to play in a system, and has pretty much the full package of offensive arsenal. He can be a spot up shooter when James is running the offense and he can run the offense himself when James is rested. I wont complain if its Kyrie ofcourse, just think that Kawhi is both the better player and the better fit here.

Obviously we would still need quality guards, but id wait for the buyout market for that. A shame we couldnt keep Zo, that guy is a perfect fit whatever team you throw him into

- - - Updated - - -

Off to see what FA guards are out there

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Patrick Beverley for the exception @Post Ironic @CR 7 ? How much is it anyway, i read we can offer around 5M
If you go back to the previous page, I mentioned him

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the amount of the MLE, I have no idea how much we will have available to use. It will only be figured out once we fill up the cap space, I suppose.

I'm probably going senile because I swore I knew how this worked.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 65)