The NBA Thread (39 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Gotta remember Ingram is showing how good he is without Lebron starting. He should be able to keep it up once the King starts playing regular games but I feel like he has that Kyrie mentality where he needs to be the main player so it’s tough to know until we see it happen.

Lakers definitely need two players on ADs level to compete for a ring which is why they’re going so hard for him. If they leave it up to the summer, it’s uncertain who will be willing to sign for them, especially with the whole shitshow going on now. Kawhi seems to like Toronto, KD will probably want to run his own team, Kyrie is a mindfuck.

I think maybe Magic isn’t the best option for a GM. Seems inexperienced and may get better in the long term but for taking advantage of Lebron’s prime, maybe that was the wrong project to start with.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Gotta remember Ingram is showing how good he is without Lebron starting. He should be able to keep it up once the King starts playing regular games but I feel like he has that Kyrie mentality where he needs to be the main player so it’s tough to know until we see it happen.

Lakers definitely need two players on ADs level to compete for a ring which is why they’re going so hard for him. If they leave it up to the summer, it’s uncertain who will be willing to sign for them, especially with the whole shitshow going on now. Kawhi seems to like Toronto, KD will probably want to run his own team, Kyrie is a mindfuck.

I think maybe Magic isn’t the best option for a GM. Seems inexperienced and may get better in the long term but for taking advantage of Lebron’s prime, maybe that was the wrong project to start with.

He isn't the GM. Pelinka is. But at least Pelinka has experience in dealing with contracts and other GM's.

- - - Updated - - -

This team was 4th in the Western Conference and trending upwards when Lebron went down. Then Rondo went down again. Then Lonzo went down. Who knows where they would be if at least Lebron and Lonzo were healthy during this recent 20 game stretch.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

I think Ingram will figure things out through the rest of this season and the beginning of the next. I believe we’ll see massive improvement from him.

Y’all are forgetting, the guy is 21, and had played less than 3 months with Lebron before the injury. I’m really not sure why everyone expected Lebron to just seamlessly slide into a brand new team of very young players with no adaptation period required.

This team is a star shooter away from contending if Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac keep improving next year. Obviously won’t be favourites, but will definitely give any team a battle with James leading. Of course there is the “if” of the young guys improving. So it’s wait and see.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The 5 guys who are the young core of the Lakers are 21,21,21,23,23.

We still don't know what their ceiling is.

- - - Updated - - -

lebron teams have had tough adjustments even when they were with veteran laden squads. In the East.

It shouldn't have surprised anyone that the adjustment period was going to be big. Even then though, things were starting to look really good before the injuries happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Lakers are looking at Trevor Ariza.

Last edited:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
He isn't the GM. Pelinka is. But at least Pelinka has experience in dealing with contracts and other GM's.

- - - Updated - - -

This team was 4th in the Western Conference and trending upwards when Lebron went down. Then Rondo went down again. Then Lonzo went down. Who knows where they would be if at least Lebron and Lonzo were healthy during this recent 20 game stretch.
So what does Magic do?

- - - Updated - - -

I think Ingram will figure things out through the rest of this season and the beginning of the next. I believe we’ll see massive improvement from him.

Y’all are forgetting, the guy is 21, and had played less than 3 months with Lebron before the injury. I’m really not sure why everyone expected Lebron to just seamlessly slide into a brand new team of very young players with no adaptation period required.

This team is a star shooter away from contending if Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac keep improving next year. Obviously won’t be favourites, but will definitely give any team a battle with James leading. Of course there is the “if” of the young guys improving. So it’s wait and see.
Yeah, if they keep improving.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I say you sign Cousins on cheaper 20-25m deal (if no one offers more), sign another max, doubt its gonna be a superstar, but another all star. And keep all the kids. Maybe trade Ingram if the 3rd star is a wing (and because Ingram is a mess most times I see him).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We have about 38M in cap space. We can sign one max player, either Durant at about 38M or one of Kawhi/Kyrie/Klay/Butler at about 33M. There is no way we can get Cousins and another one, no one is taking so much paycut. Cousins at 25M and a 2nd tier player like Randle/Russell at 12-13M could be possible, but i think even they get much closer to 20M

Either way, i dont want Boogie. Go after KD/Kawhi and see whats the status with AD at the next trade deadline

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
So what does Magic do?

- - - Updated - - -

President. He works in tandem with Palinka, but Jeanie Buss has the final say.

- - - Updated - - -

As the President of Basketball Operations, he works on the bigger picture of the entire organization, whereas Palinka deals with the trades, contracts, signings, etc....

It is just a lot sexier in the media to say that Magic is working on the deals rather than Pelinka.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
So what does Magic do?

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

Agree. But that’s the case with every young team. I mean, Golden State is what it is today because they had patience with their young core of Curry, Klay, Draymond developing over 4 years, and then because of keeping a young core to grow together had space to still sign a max player in KD.

Best option for the Lakers is to leave everything until summer and add a max to what they have. It may not work out, but it’s just as likely as trading everything for AD and signing Kyrie/Klay and having a big three with filler around it.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
So what does Magic do?

- - - Updated - - -

Who is to say they can't? Look at how Randle improved in his 4th season, and what he is doing now in New Orleans? Look at Russell. All Star in his 4th year. Sometimes these players take a little time. 3 years in the league and Ingram is still just 21. Shit, back in the 80's he wouldn't have even been eligible to be drafted yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Curry didn't become an all-star until his 5th season. Klay Thompson 4th season.

- - - Updated - - -

So, apparently the Celtics are trying to convince the Pelicans that the Lakers' offer will still be there in the summer, and they will outbid it, but they won't promise Tatum.

2 reasons why the Lakers offer, the last one they made, may not be there in the summer.

If the Lakers make the playoffs, and the young kids do well during that time, then the need to include all of them won't be there, as their stocks would have risen.

If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, and the kids tank the rest of the way, then the Lakers would have to add more assets. Assets they wouldn't have.

Last edited:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Who is to say they can't? Look at how Randle improved in his 4th season, and what he is doing now in New Orleans? Look at Russell. All Star in his 4th year. Sometimes these players take a little time. 3 years in the league and Ingram is still just 21. Shit, back in the 80's he wouldn't have even been eligible to be drafted yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Curry didn't become an all-star until his 5th season. Klay Thompson 4th season.

- - - Updated - - -

So, apparently the Celtics are trying to convince the Pelicans that the Lakers' offer will still be there in the summer, and they will outbid it, but they won't promise Tatum.

2 reasons why the Lakers offer, the last one they made, may not be there in the summer.

If the Lakers make the playoffs, and the young kids do well during that time, then the need to include all of them won't be there, as their stocks would have risen.

If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, and the kids tank the rest of the way, then the Lakers would have to add more assets. Assets they wouldn't have.
Agreed, they can improve. The question is whether Lebron has patience for that.

Thanks for explaining Magic’s role btw

- - - Updated - - -

Agree. But that’s the case with every young team. I mean, Golden State is what it is today because they had patience with their young core of Curry, Klay, Draymond developing over 4 years, and then because of keeping a young core to grow together had space to still sign a max player in KD.

Best option for the Lakers is to leave everything until summer and add a max to what they have. It may not work out, but it’s just as likely as trading everything for AD and signing Kyrie/Klay and having a big three with filler around it.
With the big 3 you’re more likely to sign good vets to minimum ala Cousins with the Warriors just so they can get a ring. But either way is a risk. At least with AD you’d get a 25 yr old proven star but you never know with injuries either and he gets quite a bunch.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Agreed, they can improve. The question is whether Lebron has patience for that.

Thanks for explaining Magic’s role btw

- - - Updated - - -

With the big 3 you’re more likely to sign good vets to minimum ala Cousins with the Warriors just so they can get a ring. But either way is a risk. At least with AD you’d get a 25 yr old proven star but you never know with injuries either and he gets quite a bunch.

Here's my opinion on all this with Lebron, and his patience and what not. I have this feeling that Magic thinks that if Lebron can bring us 1 title in the next 4 years, then it would justify another decade of mediocrity afterwards or below that. And that fans would be cool with that.

We won't.

This is what I feared when they signed him, and I hoped against hope that Lebron was truthful when he said that he wasn't expecting to compete this year, and that it would take time.

Welp. So much for that, I guess.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Here's my opinion on all this with Lebron, and his patience and what not. I have this feeling that Magic thinks that if Lebron can bring us 1 title in the next 4 years, then it would justify another decade of mediocrity afterwards or below that. And that fans would be cool with that.

We won't.

This is what I feared when they signed him, and I hoped against hope that Lebron was truthful when he said that he wasn't expecting to compete this year, and that it would take time.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-anthony-davis-trade-talks-20190205-story.html

I hope this is true. Tell Dell Demps to go fuck himself. And Gregg Popovich too if he really is advising Demps on this (as the two of them are good friends), like has been suggested.

Time to have some faith in our young core coming good over the next 18 months, and Magic - Pelinka being able to lure a bonafide star free agent to the NBA's biggest market. Lebron may have to help with that, if the Lakers have a shot at someone like KD or Kawhi, be willing to accept taking a step back and being the 1B/2 to another star being 1A/1 on the team. The highest upside for this team is to have a coach, alongside Magic, who can get Lebron to buy into playing a proper team game, with pace, great ball movement, shooting, and great defending. The sum to be greater than the individual parts, like the Spurs or the pre-KD Warriors. And that's our best hope of signing a second superstar this summer, to have Lebron, Magic, etc convince them that they won't be stuck playing 2nd fiddle to the Lebron show.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

We won't.

I think both Magic and LeBron overestimated how far along the young core is. In a couple more seasons, the Lakers would definitely be a force. But unfortunately you guys are the Lakers and waiting and seeing for a few seasons has never been the style. Adding an All Star this season was a good idea, but adding LeBron wasn't something that fit the project. Now it looks like the project has changed.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Golden State also had team productive veteran guys like David Lee to aid in the growth and transition of the young core. That is just as important as patience.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think both Magic and LeBron overestimated how far along the young core is. In a couple more seasons, the Lakers would definitely be a force. But unfortunately you guys are the Lakers and waiting and seeing for a few seasons has never been the style. Adding an All Star this season was a good idea, but adding LeBron wasn't something that fit the project. Now it looks like the project has changed.
I think the project has huge upside for years 2 and 3 and 4. Lebron has to be willing to show patience, and maybe he won't be the centrepiece of the team when it's ready win a championship 2-3 years down the road, but he'll still be a very productive part of the team in those years. Hopefully Magic, Pelinka, Buss made this clear to him, and continue to do so.

If he was worried about immediate championships, or legacy, he shouldn't have moved to LA in the first place. Go to Houston or Philadelphia or even Boston, teams that were just a single piece or two away from being able to compete for a championship, not LA, who was in the middle of rebuilding project, a very promising rebuilding project, but one that requires patience.

At his age, and with the wear and tear on him from his career, he needs to buy into a more team-oriented game as well... Spurs style, or early Warriors. Start being willing to play more off-ball, in the post, etc. He'll last longer this way, and be better able to contribute. The lakers aren't going to win a championship, even with a big 3, where Lebron has to be the best player in basketball by far, for the next couple years, in order to do so.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I think the project has huge upside for years 2 and 3 and 4. Lebron has to be willing to show patience, and maybe he won't be the centrepiece of the team when it's ready win a championship 2-3 years down the road, but he'll still be a very productive part of the team in those years. Hopefully Magic, Pelinka, Buss made this clear to him, and continue to do so.

If he was worried about immediate championships, or legacy, he shouldn't have moved to LA in the first place. Go to Houston or Philadelphia or even Boston, teams that were just a single piece or two away from being able to compete for a championship, not LA, who was in the middle of rebuilding project, a very promising rebuilding project, but one that requires patience.

At his age, and with the wear and tear on him from his career, he needs to buy into a more team-oriented game as well... Spurs style, or early Warriors. Start being willing to play more off-ball, in the post, etc. He'll last longer this way, and be better able to contribute. The lakers aren't going to win a championship, even with a big 3, where Lebron has to be the best player in basketball by far, for the next couple years, in order to do so.
Absolutely, agree 100%. However, should is terrible word. As we rarely do what we should and mostly do what we can.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Sure, but no one was going to trade Golden State's future so David Lee could win now.
Yeah. Of course. And I'm just a fan so I have little clue as to what the intentions of the club are, or what the actual details of the Lakers offers are. When a player like AD becomes available, I think you definitely need to (as the Lakers) feel out a potential trade, and if it can be made without sacrificing too much, fantastic. If it can't you show restraint and don't go full retard.

As I said, two of Kuzma, Ball, Ingram, plus one of Zubac, Hart, plus 2 first rd picks, alongside veteran filler, should have been the most we offered, and if they don't want that, than say hell no, move on, and continue developing the project. We have the cap space for a max player, and regardless of what some think, over the next summer or two someone will obviously be willing to come to the Lakers, the franchise is too big, too popular, and has a history that some players will always desire. Be patient, make that free agent signing, and in a year or two be competitive with the best.

At best, we are going to finish 6th in the west this year, most likely 7th or 8th... so we're likely to get a decent pick in the 1st round this summer. In the 15-20 range. A good pick, a big free agent signing and this team looks pretty damn good. Go forward with that imo. Future is exciting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)