The NBA Thread (45 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Thank you, his post confused me, because everyone in RealGM BBall forums been saying Horford is necessary to match salaries. But their assessment and his numbers didnt add up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The other thing to keep in mind is that you have to factor the 19-20 contract numbers when talking about AD to the Celtics. And they don't have enough in young assets to trade to make the salaries work, which means that one of the really expensive guys HAS to go to New Orleans to make the salaries match. I'm not sure its something that Pelicans would be interested in if they go full rebuild mode.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
We can have an avatar bet if you want that he will re-sign with Celtics.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm not 12.

- - - Updated - - -

This is why I said last night, that if the Pelicans want to do a full rebuild, and they want young assets, expiring contracts to make the salaries work, and 1st round picks, there are very few teams that can do this, and one of them is the Lakers.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what the Celtics have for next year. If someone can come up with a formula to make the salaries work for an AD trade in the summer without having to give up one of the expensive contracts, I'm more than willing to listen

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

- - - Updated - - -

This is what the Lakers have this year, keeping in mind that KCP is an expiring contract at 12 million, as well as Michael Beasley at 3.5. Add those to Kuzma, Ball, Zubac and 1st round picks, and you can make the deal work

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Davis's contract has a 15% trade kicker, which he could waive if he wanted to, but his salary for next year is already at nearly 28 million.
Which means, if he doesnt waive it, hey need to send out 25M in salaries. Tatum, Brown, Yabusele, Williams, Ojeye, Bird is already 22.6M, and they have 4 1st round picks incoming. They can do a trade without Horford, Hayward and Smart

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Which means, if he doesnt waive it, hey need to send out 25M in salaries. Tatum, Brown, Yabusele, Williams, Ojeye, Bird is already 22.6M, and they have 4 1st round picks incoming. They can do a trade without Horford, Hayward and Smart
You still have to add 5 million in salary, and the last 4 players you mentioned don't have the trade value that you think they do.

And no, they have to send out 27 million in salaries, not 25. activating the 15% kicker puts his cap value at over 30 million

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
That 25 million is for THIS season, and it has already been said several times that Boston can't trade for him this year. They can only trade for him on or after July 1st, which is the start of the new calendar year

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Pelicans will want Ingram, Kuz, and Lonzo at the very least on top of picks.

And I would do it. In a heartbeat. But that would be it for me as far as the young guys go in a trade.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to have a limit, and including Zubac and/or hart, on top of draft picks, would be too much for my tastes

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
You still have to add 5 million in salary, and the last 4 players you mentioned don't have the trade value that you think they do.

And no, they have to send out 27 million in salaries, not 25. activating the 15% kicker puts his cap value at over 30 million
His salary after the trade kicker would be 31.1M. And im confused, why 27M? Ive got 24.9M going by the 125% rule. But even if its 27M, they can match that with possibly one or 2 rookies this summer

- - - Updated - - -

Also, those other guys would be cheap salary filler. The value of the trade is Tatum, and their 1st rounders. But they would rather have 4 young cheap players than a Horford or Smart or Hayward i think

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
His salary after the trade kicker would be 31.1M. And im confused, why 27M? Ive got 24.9M going by the 125% rule. But even if its 27M, they can match that with possibly one or 2 rookies this summer

The Celtics cannot trade for Anthony Davis until July 1st 2019. That is the start of the new fiscal year for the NBA. At that point, Davis' contract is 27 million dollars. You keep using his current contract figure. The Lakers can trade for him now, and use his current salary to match. The Celtics cannot. And if I am the Pelicans, why would I want 6 players back in return, when 4 out of the 6 have proven very little, or nothing at all?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Also, those other guys would be cheap salary filler. The value of the trade is Tatum, and their 1st rounders. But they would rather have 4 young cheap players than a Horford or Smart or Hayward i think
None of those 1st rounders are going to be eye popping. And trading all 4 of those picks to one team means that the Pelicans will have to have cap holds on all of those players. And as far as the 6 young guys you mentioned. Are they collectively better than Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma?

- - - Updated - - -

And let's not forget that the Pelicans will also have their own first round pick.

- - - Updated - - -

So, by this logic, if the Celtics trade those 6 players, and even 2 of those 4 draft picks, combined with their own pick, tht will be 9 new players? Where are they going to play?

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
The Celtics cannot trade for Anthony Davis until July 1st 2019. That is the start of the new fiscal year for the NBA. At that point, Davis' contract is 27 million dollars. You keep using his current contract figure. The Lakers can trade for him now, and use his current salary to match. The Celtics cannot. And if I am the Pelicans, why would I want 6 players back in return, when 4 out of the 6 have proven very little, or nothing at all?
OK, 27M. They can still get to that figure without any of their expensive players. They have 4 1st round picks this summer, if all are even 1M (most will be more), they are over that figure. And why would NO want those 4? Because all 4 are very cheap and none of them have guaranteed contracts past next season. They want Tatum, Brown and picks, the rest would there to match salaries. I think they rather take those 4 for a year then Smart or Hayward. Maybe they prefer Horford because he also has only one more yesr after this one. But my point, they can make a trade work without NO having to take any of the expensive contracts

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
OK, 27M. They can still get to that figure without any of their expensive players. They have 4 1st round picks this summer, if all are even 1M (most will be more), they are over that figure. And why would NO want those 4? Because all 4 are very cheap and none of them have guaranteed contracts past next season. They want Tatum, Brown and picks, the rest would there to match salaries. I think they rather take those 4 for a year then Smart or Hayward. Maybe they prefer Horford because he also has only one more yesr after this one. But my point, they can make a trade work without NO having to take any of the expensive contracts

But it's not realistic. If you are going to do this with me, you have to be realistic. There is no way New Orleans takes 6 players, 4 of which have done nothing in the NBA, and 4 draft picks for 1 player. Again, where are they going to play?

- - - Updated - - -

And if you are New Orleans, do you take that Celtics offer, or do you take Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, KCP's expiring contract for this year, and multiple 1st round picks, or that Celtics offer

- - - Updated - - -

And if you are the Celtics, you don't make that kind of trade, unless you plan on having an 8 man roster next year

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not for get that New Orleans still has Jrue under contract, and most likely Mirotic as well. That is 44 million against the cap just with those 2 guys. And there is no reason for them to trade Jrue.

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
But it's not realistic. If you are going to do this with me, you have to be realistic. There is no way New Orleans takes 6 players, 4 of which have done nothing in the NBA, and 4 draft picks for 1 player. Again, where are they going to play?

- - - Updated - - -

And if you are New Orleans, do you take that Celtics offer, or do you take Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, KCP's expiring contract for this year, and multiple 1st round picks, or that Celtics offer

- - - Updated - - -

And if you are the Celtics, you don't make that kind of trade, unless you plan on having an 8 man roster next year
They only have 5 guaranteed contract for next season though, if we exclude Davis. I dont know how realistic is that, im just saying that if they tell the Celtics that they dont want those 3 expensive contracts, they can get a deal done without.

I wanna keep Ball but right now, our offer looks better. It depends on if they keep the Memphis pick and how high it is though (it is protected i think?)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
They only have 5 guaranteed contract for next season though, if we exclude Davis. I dont know how realistic is that, im just saying that if they tell the Celtics that they dont want those 3 expensive contracts, they can get a deal done without.

I wanna keep Ball but right now, our offer looks better. It depends on if they keep the Memphis pick and how high it is though (it is protected i think?)
But it is all about value and salary flexibility. Even if they cut 4 of those 6 players, they are still on the hook against the cap. Plus the cap holds on 4 1st round picks

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'm just not sure if the Pelicans would want to take that contract on if they are in full rebuild mode once they trade AD. I would think that the would want the cap space for free agency this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

And I had said it several times over with all of those draft picks the Celtics have. You can't hang on to them as long as they did. First off, there was no way that all of those picks would make team. Secondly, draft picks are always the great variable in trades. You truly have no idea where they will end up being in the draft order.

- - - Updated - - -

And I didn't watch the game last night. With my recent health issues, it's tough to even stay up past 9:00. I'm curious as to why Zubac only got 15 minutes. He wasn't in any foul trouble, by what I could see in the boxscore
He picked up two fouls right off the bat, in first 6 minutes and 76ers killed the starting line-up, so Walton sat him on the bench for quite a while.

He was playing while the Lakers were closing the gap in the 4th, but didn’t box out a defensive rebound properly allowing the 76ers an easy tip-in and Walton flipped his shit at him and benched him the rest of the game.

Would have liked Walton to let him play through that mistake, growing pains and all, but it was pretty dumb, so can understand why he was pissed,

- - - Updated - - -

@CR 7 i only saw the first half but Zubac wasn’t really doing much on the offensive or defensive end. Would get doubled up pretty quick let once he got the ball and the Sixers were scoring pretty easily. Ingram was impressive and played great, Rondo was fine, McGee had a couple nice plays but overall very meh.

So yeah, bar Ingram the Lakers did nothing and would’ve lost by 50+ most likely
Would have? Do we get to play this game too?

With Lebron, Kuzma, Lonzo, we would’ve won by 15+ :p

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
He picked up two fouls right off the bat, in first 6 minutes and 76ers killed the starting line-up, so Walton sat him on the bench for quite a while.

He was playing while the Lakers were closing the gap in the 4th, but didn’t box out a defensive rebound properly allowing the 76ers an easy tip-in and Walton flipped his shit at him and benched him the rest of the game.

Would have liked Walton to let him play through that mistake, growing pains and all, but it was pretty dumb, so can understand why he was pissed,

- - - Updated - - -

Would have? Do we get to play this game too?

With Lebron, Kuzma, Lonzo, we would’ve won by 15+ :p
You still didn’t respond to the question about tampering.

And Sixers have a winning record against the west, I doubt it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You still didn’t respond to the question about tampering.

And Sixers have a winning record against the west, I doubt it.
Because that really means they would beat a full-strength Lebron led Lakers at home, when they struggled to contain Ingram and only closed out a half-strength Lakers in the last couple minutes. :p We'll see. I'd take this Lakers team in the playoffs any day of the 76ers, just because of Lebron. It's irrelevant though, as we'll get crushed by at least GSW and Houston, and you guys won't get past Boston or Toronto. ;)

Tampering? When Lebron said he'd love to play with AD (amongst various other top players), NBA owners and GMs got all up in arms about it. There were articles all over the place about. New Orleans just asked the NBA to strictly enforce tampering rules, obviously with the Lakers in mind. Popovich reportedly told the Pelicans not to trade AD to the Lakers (the very definition of tampering). Magic had the NBA up in arms and got fined in the past for saying that Giannis was a fantastic player and would lead Milwaukee to a championship one day. It's funny.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Players can't be fined for tampering. Because the NBA doesn't recognize as what they may say about other players as tampering.

- - - Updated - - -

What Popovic did is the very definition of tampering, and if it could somehow be proven that this conversation led to the Pelicans not trading Davis to the lakers, then it is Collusion, which is much worse. That is because Popovich is also the president of the Spurs, which means that this is dialogue between two front office people.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Players can't be fined for tampering. Because the NBA doesn't recognize as what they may say about other players as tampering.

- - - Updated - - -

What Popovic did is the very definition of tampering, and if it could somehow be proven that this conversation led to the Pelicans not trading Davis to the lakers, then it is Collusion, which is much worse. That is because Popovich is also the president of the Spurs, which means that this is dialogue between two front office people.
Players can be fined for tampering. Davis actually got fined yesterday but that was more like breach of contract.

Under NBA tampering rules, no player, coach or management person may entice or induce a player under contract with another team to play for his team.

- - - Updated - - -

Because that really means they would beat a full-strength Lebron led Lakers at home, when they struggled to contain Ingram and only closed out a half-strength Lakers in the last couple minutes. :p We'll see. I'd take this Lakers team in the playoffs any day of the 76ers, just because of Lebron. It's irrelevant though, as we'll get crushed by at least GSW and Houston, and you guys won't get past Boston or Toronto. ;)

Tampering? When Lebron said he'd love to play with AD (amongst various other top players), NBA owners and GMs got all up in arms about it. There were articles all over the place about. New Orleans just asked the NBA to strictly enforce tampering rules, obviously with the Lakers in mind. Popovich reportedly told the Pelicans not to trade AD to the Lakers (the very definition of tampering). Magic had the NBA up in arms and got fined in the past for saying that Giannis was a fantastic player and would lead Milwaukee to a championship one day. It's funny.

Okay, I thought you meant in this forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)