The NBA Thread (35 Viewers)

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
It depends on what you compare it to. The league was shit 10 years ago and during Jordan's 90's the league was kinda watered down.
watered down in the 90s?? You high son???

MJ, I.Thomas, Magic, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Dominique, Payton, Shaq, R.Miller, McHale, Bird, Stockton, K.Malone, Rodman, Parish, M.Malone, Drexler, Worthy... not to mention many others like Kemp, Grant, Starks, Hardaway, Mourning, Mutombo and young Kobe, Kidd, Duncan, Garnett, T-Mac, VC etc...

- - - Updated - - -

Too many young kids going pro who really aren't that good.
:agree:

T-Mac said it perfectly :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-nba-players-two-years-college-140820214.html

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
watered down in the 90s?? You high son???

MJ, I.Thomas, Magic, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Dominique, Payton, Shaq, R.Miller, McHale, Bird, Stockton, K.Malone, Rodman, Parish, M.Malone, Drexler, Worthy... not to mention many others like Kemp, Grant, Starks, Hardaway, Mourning, Mutombo and young Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, T-Mac, VC etc...
I think you're confusing the 90's with the 80's. Also, you're just mentioning names to mention them and you're mentioning players that in the mid 90's nobody would mention but because this is 15 years later you can mention them because you know how they performed.

Also, mentioning Moses Malone who had his peak in the early 80's and T-Mac who started his peak in the beginning of 2000's is like a 20 year difference in era bro.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I think you're confusing the 90's with the 80's. Also, you're just mentioning names to mention them and you're mentioning players that in the mid 90's nobody would mention but because this is 15 years later you can mention them because you know how they performed.

Also, mentioning Moses Malone who had his peak in the early 80's and T-Mac who started his peak in the beginning of 2000's is like a 20 year difference in era bro.
MJ, I.Thomas, Magic, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Dominique, Payton, Shaq, R.Miller, McHale, Bird, Stockton, K.Malone, Rodman, Parish, M.Malone, Drexler, Worthy... not to mention many others like Kemp, Grant, Starks, Hardaway, Mourning, Mutombo and Duncan

Were all present in the 1990s. Back then every team had like 2 stars. Jordan dominated the era because he was Jordan, but the playoffs were pretty competitive.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011

They played in the 90s did they not? I said nowhere that they all played at the same time or during the whole 1990s. Still much better than what we have today... blake griffin :yao:

- - - Updated - - -

MJ, I.Thomas, Magic, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Dominique, Payton, Shaq, R.Miller, McHale, Bird, Stockton, K.Malone, Rodman, Parish, M.Malone, Drexler, Worthy... not to mention many others like Kemp, Grant, Starks, Hardaway, Mourning, Mutombo and Duncan

Were all present in the 1990s. Back then every team had like 2 stars. Jordan dominated the era because he was Jordan, but the playoffs were pretty competitive.
:agree: and 2nd best player of the era was obviously Olajuwon.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
They played in the 90s did they not? I said nowhere that they all played at the same time or during the whole 1990s.

- - - Updated - - -

:agree: and 2nd best player of the era was obviously Olajuwon.
Pacers, Heat and Knicks was one of the best 3 way rivalries ever.

Then out west you had Houston, Spurs, Suns, Jazz.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

So what explains the drop in talent?

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009

Being present and actually competing on the highest level is two different things. It's pretty known that the league was weak during the mid 90's after Magic, Bird and the bad boys got old.

Magic, McHale, Isiah, Bird, Moses, Worthy were not even present or good enough in the mid 90's while the rest were not even in the league or not established enough.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Being present and actually competing on the highest level is two different things. It's pretty known that the league was weak during the mid 90's after Magic, Bird and the bad boys got old.

Magic, McHale, Isiah, Bird, Moses, Worthy were not even present or good enough in the mid 90's while the rest were not even in the league or not established enough.
Take out those names you still have:

MJ, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Dominique, Payton, Shaq, R.Miller, Stockton, K.Malone, Rodman, Drexler, Kemp, Grant, Starks, Hardaway, Mourning, Mutombo, Kobe, Kidd, Duncan, Garnett etc

If that is weak then what is today's league, kindergarten??

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
So... what? Are you saying that the young players are being drafted and even though they're not as good as their older teammates they are forcing the older ones to retire/retreat somehow?
Nah, more players are being lured at a younger age, while earning more than their predeccesors and thus maybe not having such a drive to work more and get better. Plus it's probably more beneficial for players to spend those years in college developing their skills rather than having to adapt in the NBA.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
So what explains the drop in talent?
Back then, players rarely left college early or didn't go unless they were a serious talent. Now you have college players leaving after 1 year, getting drafted in the top ten, paid top ten money, and thereby starting their NBA career before they are ready. Thanks to modern technology players look really good in high school and college, get an enormous about of hype and end up jumping ship early and becoming highly paid mediocre ball players. Add in the influx of European players with similar hype and it isn't surprising to see the drop in quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 26)