the most hated player...and why? (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Chapter 8 of which book? Seriously though guys, don't make sport about the bible - I'm a Christian :rolleyes:
Hey, me too :) We're in good company.

I dislike dishonest/arrogant/violent/disloyal players without any sense of sportsmanship:

Ruud van Nistelrooy arrogant and unbelievably lucky
Thierry Henry arrogant/dishonest/violent
Francesco Totti arrogant/dishonest
Oliver Kahn arrogant/crazy + just plain annoying
Roy Keane violent
Ronaldo arrogant/disloyal
Rivaldo World Cup 2003 vs. Turkey
Roberto Carlos arrogant
Figo arrogant/dishonest

There's probably many more who fit this category, but those have to be amongst the worst. About the succesful players comment, It's honestly not jealousy on my part, but I think it has much to do with their success and fame (i.e. players get arrogant when they're succesful).

Players I like because they're not any of the above:

Alex Del Piero: an incredible sportsman, a true professional and gentleman, he just gets on with the game + he's loyal to his wife unlikely Inzaghi.

Song Chong Gug: One of the most emotional moments of World Cup '02 was after scoring his goal against Turkey, he got down on his knees in prayer. A very skillful defender, without being rough or violent at all (See S. Korea vs. Portugal especially against Figo)

That's just two, there's many more players I respect, not necessarily for footballing reasons, but just for being a compliment to the beautiful game.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
You're saying he's not?
Even though confidence is good in football, over-confidence is another thing. When people were praising him for scoring so many goals in his first two seasons with ManU, he kept saying that he'll keep getting better and break Bobby Charlton's record, whereas normally players say "i'll train hard and try in the off-season to improve".

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Oh rubbish! Have you ever watched interviews with the bloke? I get to watch about two per week as the EPL is very popular here and I'm telling you that the man is NOT arrogant.

I'm familiar with the quote you're referring to, but not in that sense. He originally said that in Dutch and he spoke of "Wanting to improve every season compared to last season as he feels every player should do so in order for the team to grow."
With regard to Charlton's record - it's every player's desire to break records at a club. If you think that's a sign of arrogance then you should have named every striker in the world.

Perhaps it's the translation where all of this went wrong or something but Van Nistelrooy is so NOT arrogant compared to other players at that level. He's about as humble as Del Piero!

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
ruud is far from being arrogant I've seen hundreds of interviews with him and he simply does not come across that way. Players that appear arrogant to me are Henry, Pires and Vieira

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh rubbish! Have you ever watched interviews with the bloke? I get to watch about two per week as the EPL is very popular here and I'm telling you that the man is NOT arrogant.

I'm familiar with the quote you're referring to, but not in that sense. He originally said that in Dutch and he spoke of "Wanting to improve every season compared to last season as he feels every player should do so in order for the team to grow."
With regard to Charlton's record - it's every player's desire to break records at a club. If you think that's a sign of arrogance then you should have named every striker in the world.

Perhaps it's the translation where all of this went wrong or something but Van Nistelrooy is so NOT arrogant compared to other players at that level. He's about as humble as Del Piero!
Okay, maybe I was too quick to judge. Admittedly, I haven't seen too many interviews, it's just what I read. Probably just the translation I guess. I dunno though, maybe I was just making excuses to include him in my post...he just...annoys me. I'm glad he's not a cheater or a quitter or a dirty player. Oh, I dunno! Probably just cos I don't rate him as highly as some do. He seems incredibly lucky to get some of the chances he does...call it a good sense of positioning...but I still think there's a bit of luck involved. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore! Maybe I shouldn't have bothered stating reasons, he just bugs me! I guess I just don't like him for no reason in particular!?! Isn't that allowed?! :confused::fero:

Sorry about that outburst, I've got an assignment due soon and I haven't started. I needed to vent my anger on some Dutchman! :D

(ed: don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the Dutch, they just seem like an easy target for everyone to bag out ala Austin Powers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
We're used to people making fun of us, don't care really since the whole Anglican world with it's arrogance is the laughing stock of the rest of the planet anyway :angel: ;)

Now, had you said his face just pisses you off in the first place, we wouldn't be having this exhausting discussion!!!! :fero: :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Now, had you said his face just pisses you off in the first place, we wouldn't be having this exhausting discussion!!!! :fero: :D
Haha so true, the donkey-man. I don't like the way he runs either, it looks like it puts an incredible strain on his body. As for dribbling, I don't understand how he gets through defenders apart from shoving them all out of the way (though I do admit his dribbling looks to have improved since joining the :devil:'s

I really like the Dutch NT. It was such a shame they weren't in the World Cup. They have some of the best strikers in the world. Van Nistelrooy (okay, i admit he's a goal-scoring machine), Kluivert (used to be better), Bergkamp (ditto), Van Hoojidonk (best free kicks in the world alongside Mihajlovic), Hasseilbank (Power). When they had the whole Ajax squad at their peak, the Dutch team looked unstoppable (I'm Korean, hence the respect for Holland...I live in Australia so I woke up at 4 a.m. to watch that match on my birthday to see my team go down 5-0, though I couldn't have expected any better. I could keep going on and on; Davids, Seedorf, Overmars, Cocu... :greedy:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
And yet somehow, those boogers never managed to actually win prices :down:

Thanks for the respet, though I have to warn you that it might be a little displaced :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)