The More Obscure Sides of Football (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
You too? You know, RTL5 (a TV channel over here) broadcasts the EPL and they have promised the audience a live match every sunday afternoon.

Except when Liverpool plays, then we get pool or golf :howler:
:rofl: Good for them. What was it Cruijff said, Liverpool and Bayern were the only teams in Europe he wouldn't buy as season ticket to? :D Smart man. Though he's obviously never seen Waterford play. :)

++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
I thought Serie A doesn't give a fiddler's fart about goal difference. At all.
Possibly. I'm going on EPL standards here. :p

Buy on AliExpress.com

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
yeah sally,they don't.only the buggers in the epl decide a championship with goal difference.

in serie a it's a playoff to decide the winner of a championship or who gets a CL spot,stuff like that.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Not entirely

See, Graham's initial question was about what happened when THREE teams finished with the equal amount of points.

Now, IIRC (I could be wrong, I have been before), it is decided on goal difference who are the best two and these two will play a play-off.

++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
:rofl: Good for them. What was it Cruijff said, Liverpool and Bayern were the only teams in Europe he wouldn't buy as season ticket to? :D Smart man. Though he's obviously never seen Waterford play. :)
Waterford? I'll have to join Cruyff there in having never seen him play :angel:

Possibly. I'm going on EPL standards here. :p
Eredivisie does that too.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I know the Belgians do it as well, so do the Luxembourgers.

I am pretty convinced the Germans don't do it however - cause then we wouldn't be doing it.

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #107
    I am pretty convinced the Germans don't do it however - cause then we wouldn't be doing it.
    :rofl:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Not entirely

See, Graham's initial question was about what happened when THREE teams finished with the equal amount of points.

Now, IIRC (I could be wrong, I have been before), it is decided on goal difference who are the best two and these two will play a play-off.
    so goal difference applies only if three teams are equal on points:)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    thats my impression as well...

it would be very unconsistent to use playoff when 2 teams is tight, but suddenly change to goal difference when it involve 3 teams.. you wouldnt know what u are fighting for...

say 3 teams have the same points before the last game of the season and one of the teams have way unsurpassed goal difference... to win the scudetto, that team with gd advantange not only have to win their game, BUT they also have to hope that BOTH their rivals WIN their respective game so that the goal difference rule can kick in... if one of their rivals lose points, then they have to go to a playoffs with the other team which is much more risky...........:wth:

instead of deciding scudetto winner, this issue might be more significant if clubs fighting for last CL place or UEFA Cup spots where teams usually have more or less the same level of strength in general...

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #116
    I was browsing the PSV website, when I read a couple of things that caught my attention. Can anyone explain them well for me?

PSV trainer Hiddink had a huge surprise in store at the final training. Rookie forward Bakkal wore yellow, which suggests that he will be given a place in the starting line-up tonight.
    ?

Two minutes from final time Kezman was taken off by Hiddink as a sign of honour
    Do you guys think this is so that Kezman would get a standing ovation?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    I was browsing the PSV website, when I read a couple of things that caught my attention. Can anyone explain them well for me?

?
    What's so strange about that? Hiddink played a training trick. He gave Bakkal a yellow shirt in the training match to make everyone think he was going to be in the starting line-up.

When he wasn't.

Do you guys think this is so that Kezman would get a standing ovation?
    Obviously yes. There was no point in stalling with that lead and Kezman wasn't injured or anything. Besides, the guy needed a confidence boot, a standing ovation is always going to help that.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #118
    Oh, I didn't realise that a yellow shirt signified a place in the starting lineup, s'all

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Common knowledge in Europe, I suppose living down under takes its toll in the details eh? ;)

Well, usually, trainings are finished with an exhibition match of the most-likely-to-start-XI versus the rest of the squad. Basically it's just a way for the coach to verify if this line-up can work together and function well.

The starting XI will wear a yellow jersey:

I think Juve use green jerseys.

Question though - how else did you think the newspapers so often got their predictions of the starting line-up correct? ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #120
    Common knowledge in Europe, I suppose living down under takes its toll in the details eh? ;)
    Exactly. We have a hard time getting any televised matches to speak of. Good luck getting footage of training sessions :rolleyes:

:LOL: u just had to use De Ridder, didn't ya ;)

Question though - how else did you think the newspapers so often got their predictions of the starting line-up correct? ;)
    Oh I thought they read our forum and took the concensus :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)