The Lebanese political crisis!!! (9 Viewers)

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #541
    I hope all the peace & prosperity will prevail in Lebanon...
    I hope so too but then again, Nasralla thinks otherwise

Mushrooming Riots Engulf Lebanon

At least 38 people were wounded in mushrooming riots between anti and pro-government factions in Lebanon Tuesday as the general strike called by the opposition to topple Premier Fouad Saniora's government developed into a bloody confrontation.
    Security sources told Naharnet 25 of the casualties suffered bullet wounds in the running confrontations that spread across most of the country after the army and security forces failed to re-open roads blocked by the Hizbullah-led opposition.

The casualties included two of ex-MP Fares Soaid's bodyguards who tried to cover him when his car came under fire in the northern village of Mistita, near the town of Byblos.

Soaid, a prominent member of the March 14 majority alliance that backs the Saniora government, was not hit in the attack, police reported.

Tongues of flame shot up into the sky and thick-black smoke billowed from thousands of blazing rubber tires that blocked roads in Beirut, north, east, central and south Lebanon.

Meanwhile, trucks flying Hizbullah flags unloaded tons of debris, dirt and stones in at least 12 spots along the highway leading to Rafik Hariri International airport as army troops watched without trying to prevent them.

Hizbullah-run bulldozers moved to erect earth mounds along the highway, to prevent citizens from reaching the airport.

A statement by the civil aviation authority said the airport remains operational, but passengers have not been able to make it to the facility.

In Beirut's Mar Elias commercial thoroughfare, hooded supporters of Hizbullah and the Shiite Amal movement also blocked traffic by blazing rubber tires and rocks.

However, some motorists insisted on driving through the blockade. A lady, driving a dark blue Mercedes, was attacked by protestors who tried to smash her vehicle's wind shield.

The apparently determined lady sped-on hitting three of the protestors, who were evacuated later by an Amal ambulance.

In Beirut's Corniche Mazraa commercial thoroughfare, a two-hour confrontation raged between Hizbullah-Amal elements, on the one hand, and Sunni supporters of al-Mustaqbal movement, headed by parliamentary majority leader Saad Hariri.

The confrontation started when the Hizbullah-Amal elements erected a barrier made up of blazing rubber tires along the main highway and blocked traffic.

A crowd from the predominantly Sunni Tariq Jedideh residential district took to the street, equipped with sticks, stones and iron rods, and engaged the Amal-Hizbullah elements.

Both factions hurled rocks at each other and all of a sudden staccato bursts of automatic rifle fire echoed across the area. At least six people were wounded before an army patrol intervened and managed to re-open the road.

Cautious calm prevailed, but groups of young men were seen staking it out at street corners, which indicates that the confrontation could break out again.

In north and Mount Lebanon, members of Samir Geagea's Lebanese Forces took to the streets to reopen roads blocked by followers of Michel Aoun's Free Patriotic Movement and Suleiman Franjieh's Marada faction, the two Christian groups allied with Hizbullah.

Violence broke out nearly three hours after the opposition blocked roads and the army refrained from intervening to reopening them.

In the Northern Akkar province, seven members of Hariri's Mustaqbal movement were wounded when armed elements of the Syrian Social National Party (SSNP) opened fire at them as they arrived at the town of Halba on their way to work, security sources reported.

They said one of the wounded was in a critical condition.

In the Sofar mountain resort east of Beirut, three SSNP members were wounded when unidentified assailants opened fire at their car, the sources added.

The opposition has been trying in vain since Dec. 1 to topple the Saniora government. The confrontation Tuesday pushed the nation a step further towards the threat of civil unrest that the majority alliance has been trying to avoid.(Outside AP photo shows a soldier trying to extinguish burning tires and inside photo shows smoke of burning tires and debris over Beirut)

Beirut, 23 Jan 07, 08:20

taken from http://www.naharnet.com/domino/tn/NewsDesk.nsf/getstory?openform&DB9E0DE82C91AA3CC225726C0022B3F2

--------------
    Amazing huh?

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #542
    Some people expected a coup d'etat, it is actually happening now.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Thank you Hezbolla for this day. Thank you for the 25 wounded people so far and 1 got killed. Thank you for doing the impossible for Syria. Thank you for protecting Syria. Thank you for following Iran rules.

Thank you.

Oct 3, 2004
    Rebel, your comments about the Lebanese army is just unfair, they were following orders. And the whole stroy about them making tea for the Israeli army is just BS, it was a story made up by Hezbollah supporters cos God knows that they have no material to work with.
    Abboudi the ENTIRE INCIDENT was ON CAMERA, on Israeli news too! :rolleyes:

Oct 3, 2004
    Ya3ne, Rabea you're just havin an anti-Hezballah field day today. You do realise almost every political party today was involved in the riots. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not going to address the previous posts, because this is getting repetitive and frankly I am disgusted with what I've seen today. I still stand by with what I've said before, I don;t hate any sect or peoples (except for one specific "country"...but I'll not get into that now)...all I want is peace and stability in my country, so that we can live in peace and prosper in all our sectors. It's time to grow out of this shit. We're LEBANON, we're smart people, we're multi lingual, we're cultured, we're successful businessmen, we represent ourselves abroad as a respectable group of people.

Lebanon is divided IDEOLOGICALLY. The average 12 year old will tell you which leader he/she supports and why.

Regarding the events today, I'm not going to defend any of the aggressors from both sides, but it is well known that Lebanese Forces and March14 gunmen were on balconies waiting to shoot at protestors. Although Sayid Hassan Nasrallah told them that this was going to be a peaceful March, just like the peaceful sit-in in downtown Beirut; things turned ugly - and they were behind alot of the violence with the other groups.

The situation has overboiled, and the people are just taking it out on each other. There is no more tolerance for dialogue, and each one wants his way. Read the various Lebanese discussion forums/chat rooms, observe the bias TV stations, listen to people's eye witness accounts, the rumors....you seriously have no idea who or what to believe.

From what I've observed, if I want to formulate a completely objective opinion - I'd conclude that both opposition and pro-government sides have resorted to dirty/violent tactics during the protests.

That's not to say that there weren't any "peaceful" marches...

In a nutshell here are two versions of the outbreak of violence today:

1. Hezballah and FPM went all out full force to stop anyone from going to work today, even if it meant using violence. (there are eye-witness accounts of this, I won't deny - source the news and LF + Future forums)

2. The protestors marched peacefully but were attacked with rocks and gunfire, therefore Hezballah sent some armed men to protect the protestors. (this was also true in some areas, according news and FPM forums)

Given the events today, I can TRULY and objectively rebuttle to those (Rabea and Jack) who say Hezballah want a war: it was evident that MORE than one faction today wasn't reluctant to pick up machine guns today. So stop with the accusations.

The post war government has imposed taxes, "implemented" economic reforms, encouraged lot's of foreign direct investments, setup new ministries, reformed and improved various public institutions, facilitated the free-market in Lebanon, increased the price of gas, strengthened the tourism sector, YET STILL managed to accummulate a 45 billion dollar DEBT with more than 50% of the people living BELOW the poverty line with high unemployment.

This is the core of the opposition's argument, GOD dammit this has NOTHING to do with bloody IRAN AND SYRIA. It has to do with people and their daily struggle to come to terms with what the hell is going on, and the reason behind the government's mismanagement of funds.

Sorry I tried to be objective but it didn't work. The reality got the better of me :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope your families are all safe and everything's ok. I don't like this any more than you do. Stripper too, stay safe bro...you're in a dangerous area.

And if you can kindly provide us with some eye-witness descriptions of what you saw today Mr. Stripper...I'd like to know....

Oct 3, 2004
    This is very close to my area by the way...5 minutes from my house to be precise. According to the news, a March14 sniper shot and killed a Aounist protestor from the Sayyad building (where the blue sign is at the top right, "Fransabank").

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #550
    All parties were involved, true. People cleaning and trying to open roads and others doing the impossible to destroy the country.

An idiot would have realized that Hezballa want war, they want to control the country and the biggest loser will be Michel Aoun who has been licking Nasralla's ass to be president will end up empty handed.

Wake up people!!!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Jack, about the rumours that have been circulating about the Israelis and Syrians reaching an accord for the Golan Heights issue, I'm sure you've heard of them. I wanted to ask you if you think it'll really make a difference if part of that agreement states Syria must end its support for Hezballa?

It'll still leave Iran, right?

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #552
    Jack, about the rumours that have been circulating about the Israelis and Syrians reaching an accord for the Golan Heights issue, I'm sure you've heard of them. I wanted to ask you if you think it'll really make a difference if part of that agreement states Syria must end its support for Hezballa?

It'll still leave Iran, right?
    I heard the news and couldn't conclude anything from it. Actually, my first feeling was bad one, that is if Syria gave up on their land, they would want a land in return, thus pressuring Hezballa and occupying Lebanon again. On the other hand, as you mentioned it might be a good outcome by stopping the support of Hezballa. Iran are supporting Hezballa, but they get their weapons from Syria, maybe the source is Iran but who knows...

In the end, that agreement was held secretly, I don't know details about it.

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
    it is clear that iran and syria are responsible for what is happening in labanon , Palestine and iraq , they use these situation to negotiate a deal with the west

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    I heard the news and couldn't conclude anything from it. Actually, my first feeling was bad one, that is if Syria gave up on their land, they would want a land in return, thus pressuring Hezballa and occupying Lebanon again. On the other hand, as you mentioned it might be a good outcome by stopping the support of Hezballa. Iran are supporting Hezballa, but they get their weapons from Syria, maybe the source is Iran but who knows...

In the end, that agreement was held secretly, I don't know details about it.
    I don't think Syria will ever Give up for Golan, even if you give them the whole Lebanon and Israel.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    The last picture posted by Azzurri is right next to my house. The sheep came to our area and began to destroy it with sticks and stones.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    it is clear that iran and syria are responsible for what is happening in labanon , Palestine and iraq , they use these situation to negotiate a deal with the west
    Also Sudan, Sierra Leone, Chechenya and Bosnia, not to forget the 9/11 and the Armenian Genocide. Btw, there are claims that Hitler was a syrian too

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #557
    I don't think Syria will ever Give up for Golan, even if you give them the whole Lebanon and Israel.
    I don't know what the agreement was, but Syria and Israel reached one last week.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I don't know what the agreement was, but Syria and Israel reached one last week.
    Israel would return the Golan Heights to Syria, but they would be turned into a nature reserve area where Israelis would be able to visit without needing a visa. Something like that. Oh, and neither country would be allowed to have military forces in the Heights or directly surrounding land.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    you have any link? or a wider info about it?

Never heard anyhting about it, but I won't surprise if Basshar did one, he lacks the strong charachter his father has "to stick to his case", but I know even Israel wouldn't give up Golan, Because of the strategic loacation, and also economically that's an important area for Israel..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)