The Ireland Sucks Thread (1 Viewer)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
It's bloody snowing here.

I know, that sucks too, but I expect that'll stop soon - our FIFA ranking is going to drop like a stone before long.
we are above you for the first time in a long time, though tbh i still think that your special players are above our average, you just need to get them working as a collective again. greater than the sum of their parts is how you woud describe the best ireland teams(and scotland for that matter)

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #64
    we are above you for the first time in a long time, though tbh i still think that your special players are above our average, you just need to get them working as a collective again. greater than the sum of their parts is how you woud describe the best ireland teams(and scotland for that matter)
    Really? Congrats, though we've kind of facilitated anyone winding up above us by falling so far! Anyway, yes, we've some gifted players in Given, Duff, Keane and even Dunne to some degree, loads of promising young strikers like Doyle and Stokes and a bunch of decent players, but no team.

SAN MARINO GOT ROBBED !!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    Seriously, yes. I'd be pissed at the referee for playing 5 mins injury time if I was them.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #66
    what's wrong with the irish national team?
    Our manager was recruited because he's a yes-man for the FAI, and has no coaching experience at all. (He was on the coaching staff at Walsall for a few months, but I've heard that that was to spread his wages - 'twas a scam.) He's clueless.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Friday February 9, 2007
    Guardian Unlimited

STAND BY YOUR STAN

Irish accountants are special. Bertie Ahern, the country's supreme leader, is one. His finest hours as a bean-counter saw him systematically sign blank cheques for thieving Taoiseach Charlie Haughey. And John Delaney, chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland, is also one. He proudly backed his father Joe, who, as FAI treasurer in 1994, attempted to secure extra tickets for the World Cup in God Bless America by handing £100,000 of the association's money to a tout known only as "George the Greek". Astonishingly, George didn't provide any tickets but did scarper with the cash.

Article continues
    Yet John Delaney's most outrageous misjudgement surely came 12 months ago, when he successfully campaigned for the appointment of Walsall janitor Stan "Steve" Staunton as Republic of Ireland manager, even though Stan had only applied for the job in order to disprove claims that the FAI would be mad enough to give it to him. Stan's gesture backfired and he found himself managing his country before he'd so much as thrown a teacup in anger at any club. And after guiding his country to the worst defeat in their history (5-2 against Cyprus last October), he masterminded the worst win in their history last Wednesday. Now the only thing louder than the demands for Stan's dismissal are the howls for Delaney's head.

Shamelessly, Delaney and Staunton skulked under their desks yesterday, sending out Stan's 73-year-old mentor Rir Sobby O'Bobson to take the flak despite the fact that the Englishman is clearly not in the best of health. Speaking to irate fans on an RTE phone-in beloved of cretinous cranks, O'Bobson bemoaned the country's lack of a "Nigel Crouch figure" and valiantly tried but failed to answer questions that had nothing to do with him. But such was the outcry at the cowardly sacrifice of a well-meaning gentleman that the FAI was finally forced out of its bunker. "Bobby expressed a wish to get his side of things across," whimpered an FAI flunkey. "We talked it over with him, explained the show format and he was still eager to go on."

Delaney eventually surfaced today and, misguided as ever, attempted to defuse the situation with a an inappropriate and tasteless joke: "I and the board have full confidence in Steve Staunton," he said to absolutely no laughter. "He's a lot of work to do and should be allowed to get on with it." No. He. Shouldn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)