The Ireland Sucks Thread (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Ireland 0-4 Holland (friendly)
17th Aug 2006
Lansdowne Road, Ireland

Playing the Dutch has been something of a highlight for Ireland in recent years. The pasting we handed them in a rare away friendly was one of the highlights of Brian Kerr's dour reign as manager, while his predecessor, Mick McCarthy, could easily name our ten man, 1-0 home defeat of them in 2001, all but knocking them out of the World Cup at our expense, as the peak of his managerial career.

Going into last night's game, I didn't expect a repeat. Shorn of most of our best players through injury (and 'injury', one suspects, this being a friendly), we were never going to beat the Netherlands, short of a dire performance from them. Still, Ireland is usually really tough to beat at home, and I expected a reasonably entertaining close run defeat.

I only heard the team as I walked through Havelock Square to get to the North Terrace. No real surprises. Paddy Kenny in goals as Shay Given was injured, Steven Carr at right back, Steve Finnan finally tried at left back, after all the years of fans calling for just that (the alternative has always been the bowel-loosening sight of Ian Harte 'defending' or John O'Shea getting skinned by yet another winger). Having only two fit centre halves left in the squad, John O'Shea and Andy O'Brien were not exactly shocking selections. Stephen Reid would captain us for the first time from central midfield, and Graham Kavanagh would partner him. The eternal donkey, Kevin Kilbane, was on the left, and Celtic youngster Aiden McGeady would hug the right toughline. Up front, Clinton Morrison and Stephen Elliott.

The Dutch, for their part, had a few less than experienced players too, but with one of their two debutants having scored 50 goals or so last season, there was no suggestion that this was a weak team. Van der Sar was in nets, Heitinga, De Cler, Ooijer and Mathijsen played defence. Landzaat, van der Vaart and the debutant Schaars played across the middle, while wingers Robben and van Persie supported Huntelaar up front.

It took the Dutch a few minutes to warm up, but once they realised that they could pass through the Irish as if they weren't there, they weren't long making chances. Huntelaar scored a headed corner after just 25, having already had one ruled offside. Robben and van Persie, the former in particular, were taking the piss out of the two full backs. In desperation, Staunton aped the Dutch formation, putting McGeady into the middle, and Kilbane and Elliott played the roles of Robben and van Persie. Yes, that's right. Kilbane, Robben. Not names I normally associate with eachother either. Robben made it two a little before half time, finishing a sweet back heel from Huntelaar.

Half time saw some changes from Ireland. Carr, who'd torn his hamstring trying to keep up with Robben, was subbed off. Finnan went to right back, Kilbane to left. He was replaced on the left wing by 16 year old Alan O'Brien. Kavanagh and Reid (who'd done his ankle in) made way for Douglas and Miller in the center, while Morrison came off for Doyle. We switched back to 4-4-2. The Netherlands replaced Landzaat, who looked to have hurt his arm or shoulder, with De Jong, while Robben was let rest, Kuyt replacing him.

Holland sat back, switched off, allowing Ireland a little pressure. However, were weren't making anything of it, while they were still carving us up on the break. Huntelaar soon got his second, converting from van Persie's pass, after Kilbane had tried to overcomplicate, and wound up 1 on 3 at left back! Emmanuelson replaced De Cler at left back. Five year old Alan Kelly made a fine run through the middle, forcing a corner, which we did nothing with, confirming our game-long incompetance at set pieces. Young Stephen Kelly replaced Finnan at right back, and while not exactly brilliant, he kept Kuyt at bay. I rate neither player. That had us out of squad players, baring a couple of uncapped spare goalkeepers, but nothing was going to change that team for the better anyway. The Dutch were cutting us up no end, and could have scored half a dozen, were it not for some unnecessary passing triangles going awry in our six yard box. Huntelaar set up the fourth Dutch goal too, though van Persie's finish was superb, as he hit a bobbling ball in a fine lob that struck the underside of the bar. Jaliens came on for Ooijer at that point.

The only positive I can rescue from the game for Ireland is that the embryo we played on the left wing, Alan O'Brien, looked like a quality prospect. Looking for some Dutch negatives, once again, I wasn't impressed by Kuyt, and don't see why everyone's trying to buy him. He was rubbish in the World Cup, and he was mediocre in a rampant Dutch team last night.

Frankly, Staunton, who was confronted by a man with a gun the other day, will have to hope like hell that the European qualfier away to Germany in a couple of weeks goes a hell of a lot better, or he won't even last the campaign as manager. This was one of the heaviest defeats in Ireland's history - you have to go back to the 1930s to find a worse home result (I'm not sure about away, but it's been a while too).

Hey, Erik, how come people always refer to you lot as Holland in footballing circles?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Martin said:
    My my is Huntelaar making MVB look silly for not taking him to Germany.
    Yeah, he looked awesome. On the other hand, van Basten could probably have played up front last night and bagged a goal or two.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Mikhail said:
    Hey, Erik, how come people always refer to you lot as Holland in footballing circles?
    I presume because most players are actually from Holland. Barring the odd PSV youth academy product. Van Nistelrooy was from the provinces, I believe Huntelaar is as well. That about covers it. Everyone else was born in Randstad Holland.

Which is why many of the other 6 million people living elsewhere usually feel only mildly enthusiastic regarding the national team.

Imagine if the Brits decided to have just one national team for the UK: 10 out of 11 players would still be from England. I for one have a hard time imagining enthusiastic Scots in that hypothetical situation.

As for the match, it was a friendly, Ireland had fielded their U-18s, basically... Little for me to gloat about.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    sateeh said:
    How come the Dutch look good in the qualifiers and in the friendlies but in the majors?
    We rarely look good in qualifiers and friendlies. The WC2006 qualification streak was a one of a kind for us.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    I presume because most players are actually from Holland. Barring the odd PSV youth academy product. Van Nistelrooy was from the provinces, I believe Huntelaar is as well. That about covers it. Everyone else was born in Randstad Holland.

Which is why many of the other 6 million people living elsewhere usually feel only mildly enthusiastic regarding the national team.

Imagine if the Brits decided to have just one national team for the UK: 10 out of 11 players would still be from England. I for one have a hard time imagining enthusiastic Scots in that hypothetical situation.
    Fair enough, but I'd still expect people to refer to the team as Britain or the UK, rather than England.

As for the match, it was a friendly, Ireland had fielded their U-18s, basically... Little for me to gloat about.
    Ah now, that was no U18s team. Sure, we were missing in Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane our four best players, plus Andy Reid, who's pretty good, but that wasn't an especially young team. Only the foetus who played left wing on the second half, a couple of strikers and McGeady were younger than 22. Ironically, they were probably our best players.

I'll never take Duffer for granted again.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    sateeh said:
    How come the Dutch look good in the qualifiers and in the friendlies but in the majors?
    Yeah, they looked great in 2001 when they had to qualify for the WC :D.

EDIT: don't mention Kazachstan, Erik. You're classier than that.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I was rooting for Belgium actually

mikhail said:
    Fair enough, but I'd still expect people to refer to the team as Britain or the UK, rather than England.
    Most Europeans probably wouldn't. In Dutch for one, we almost always use "England" when referring to the UK.

Ah now, that was no U18s team. Sure, we were missing in Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane our four best players, plus Andy Reid, who's pretty good, but that wasn't an especially young team. Only the foetus who played left wing on the second half, a couple of strikers and McGeady were younger than 22. Ironically, they were probably our best players.

I'll never take Duffer for granted again.
    Still though, you were missing 8 good players. That's a *lot*.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    Still though, you were missing 8 good players. That's a *lot*.
    Sure, but if you guys were missing eight players, even your eight best players, you'd still be competitive with our first team. Strength in depth, eh? :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    mikhail said:
    Sure, but if you guys were missing eight players, even your eight best players, you'd still be competitive with our first team. Strength in depth, eh? :)
    Actually I'm not so sure about that at all. Then again I suppose we're already more or less missing several good players. Van Nistelrooy, Van Bommel, Davids, Makaay and if you're completely oblivious to the reality you could even add Seedorf to that list.

Dominic said:
    :touched:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    I was rooting for Belgium actually

Most Europeans probably wouldn't. In Dutch for one, we almost always use "England" when referring to the UK.
    Yeah, it's like that in most European countries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)