The ideal end for a transfer campaign. (15 Viewers)

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
Selling Del Piero makes no sense whatsoever.

A. To sell a club icon, you have to justify that by selling him for a significant amount of cash, and who the hell is gonna pay a chunk of cash for a 30 yr old player that is deemed to be on the decline?

B. Selling Del Piero, you can write off his salary cost per year and also the income gain from his transfer fee, but then at what cost. You lose perhaps income from his image rights, from his shirt sales, and friendlies cost in the Asia Pacific area will decline. So depending on each factor, the economic situation might be worse off from selling him rather than keeping him.

C. Cassano is a bomb that has a 50& chance of maturing and imploding. Why 50%? becuase either he does or he doesn't, there is really no middle ground for him and what happens if he implodes on us? Sell him ?

D. You just don't sell Del Piero. :p People seems to think that letting him retire here is a crime. Like the professional player he is, I believe he will accept taking a reduced role because of his age, just like Ferrera( spelling). And leadership like his cannot be replaced.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
ferrara started getting reduced roles in his mid 30's.
dp has only entered his 30's.
he wants first team football for atleast the next 3-4 years.
im sure tht he wants to play in the 2006 wc AND euro 2008.
will he be able to play in the first team from next season hereon?
i dont think so.
true he's an icon.
but selling him will do him lots of good as he'll get much more playing time,plus juventus will be able to get a young replacement for him in the form of cassano.
ive spoken abt cassano's temper a bit too often,and some ppl are too narrow minded to think beyond the 'he's a time bomb' statement.
so ill leave it there,period.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
Like I said, for Juventus, it makes no sense to sell DP.
True that he wants first team football for the next few coming seasons which we probably would not be able to give him but then selling him at this moment wouldn't make sense in the club sense.
Plus, Cassano hasn't sign any new contract and could be free in the coming summer. So why even think about selling a club icon to get a replacement when you will have the chance to grab him for free or at a reduced price in the next transfer period.

And about being too narrow to think beyond he is a time bomb statement. For him, it is an unforunate reality and ESPECIALLY with him.

Right now what I see is that Del Piero might be given a greater role with the club for this coming season so that he will have a chance to participitate in the world cup. Then we will grab cassano on a free and then let DP stay for another season or perhaps let him go then.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
I am not saying that there is a 100% chance that cassano will not stay in Rome. Its like a gamble, on one hand, u gamble with DP to get Cassano, and on another hand you gamble on Cassano on not getting a new contract in Rome.

You weight out the possibilites and benefits of each hand and you take the one that will offer you the best result in the end.

Which would be a better bet, and in my mind keeping DP for now and gambling on a free Cassano or selling DP and get Cassano now?

neved11

Jul 18, 2005
From the economic point of view, DP has to be sold as soon as possible, but AFTER this season. It will make more sense if we gain the most from the sale of DP and probably save the most from getting Cassano next season.

To re-gain a NT position for WC06, I think DP must remain in Serie A. However, it would be a shame for Juventus to sell their icon to their local rivals. On the other hand, DP won't accept any overseas club offers. Therefore, I believe DP will stay with Juventus for at least one more season, which he can still give us a lot!!

Cassano is a time bomb, but even so, I believe Capello can handle it. Let's get him next season for FREE!!

neved11

Jul 18, 2005
Don't forget that we have Mutu! If Mutu can preform like what he did in Parma, then probably in next season, we will be looking for a substitute of Mutu and not a DP replacement...

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
From economic sense it makes absoultey no sense to sell DP right now. Like I said, DP brings revenue on and off the pitch. Image rights, frendlies bla bla bla, all of those generate money because of the huge popularity of DP. These revenues more than cover his contract value. So when you get rid of him for a sum of cash, you have to remember you lose the DP revenue at the same time.
Sure you can argue that Cassano can bring in the same amount of revenue, but seriously, would Asians (those in japan) like Cassano (especially his looks) as much as DP???

Sure you get a sum of cash right now if u sell him off, but how much would you get ? Would it make sense to sell him for 10 million euros ? Considering the lost revenue, probably not.

Oh, and I think by using DP as a bargaining chip, we command more for each friendly in Japan. Hell Real Madrid earns like 10 mil more for each friendly .. or total, i forgot, JUST because of the presence of Beckham.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by neved11 ] ++
From the economic point of view, DP has to be sold as soon as possible, but AFTER this season. It will make more sense if we gain the most from the sale of DP and probably save the most from getting Cassano next season.
Er...no. Having Del Piero at the club is actually beneficial from a financial standpoint because of the huge marketing income. Besides that his influence off the pitch is enormous, and giving Cassano such a professional mentor is great. Cassano can learn a LOT from Del Piero. So even if we sign Cassano we would be mad to sell DP because of the above reasons, and because he can still perform on the pitch, and because selling him will disrupt team and fans alike.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Mr. Gol ] ++

Er...no. Having Del Piero at the club is actually beneficial from a financial standpoint because of the huge marketing income. Besides that his influence off the pitch is enormous, and giving Cassano such a professional mentor is great. Cassano can learn a LOT from Del Piero. So even if we sign Cassano we would be mad to sell DP because of the above reasons, and because he can still perform on the pitch, and because selling him will disrupt team and fans alike.
:thumb::touched:

neved11

Jul 18, 2005
To gain more off pitch influence, probably we should also sign a skillful and agile offensive midfielder who can build up some entertaining plays. Although our team is already very concrete, we will definitely have more fans if we have such player, better to be as handsome as possible, like DP.

neved11

Jul 18, 2005
hahahaa...yes...beauty is really subjective...from marketing point of view, we can conquer the fans of the world by acquiring good players from different continents...say, nakata / nakaruma for Japanese market, Donovan for Northern American market, Aloisi for Oceania market, so on and so forth....

anyways, just kidding....cos i prefer Juventus to be a team focused on on-pitch business rather than off-pitch stuff....and it is the reason why I like Juventus much more than Manchester United!!

return to the topic, I recap we need a creative midfielder and a Cammo sub to make our transfer campaign a successful one. Of cos, some more players like Tacchi and Zalayeta have to be sold.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Cassano is mad, so I doubt he will be the next Beckham. He's not at all interesting from a marketing standpoint because he acts childish and unpredictable.

I was just explaining why I doubt that Del Piero will be sold and why so many fans like him. I hate how Man Utd is run, especially now that Glazer is there. Makes you realize you should never give out more then 51% of your stocks or shit like that could happen.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have a great backup for Camoranesi in the form of Zambrotta. And Olivera can also play there.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Del Piero has a huge fan following because of his pre 98 form, his good looks and Juventus's successes in the mid 90s. Beyond that, he's not an enigmatic character, very docile in fact. And far less a brand like Beckham. Its not a bad thing, mind you. But the theory of Dp generating shirts and not being sold for that reason actually doesnt hold much weight. I frankly think Cassano will probably sell double the jerseys Del Piero has done, if he stays with Juve for as long as Dp has. Fact is, Cassano is a rebel, a bad boy so to say and most importantly an engimatic character. Like him or hate him, you cant ignore him. And i think a lot of the younger population will relate to him, quite the way they do Beckham. Then again, we don't want him here just to sell jerseys.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
Selling shirts was one of the reasons I mentioned, and mind you I am talking mostly about the shirt sales outside of europe especially in Japan and Asia. If you walk into a kit store in Hk or in Japan, you will see Juve related to Del Piero and Roma with Totti. So yes, there are still a lot of Del Piero's being sold in Asia and frankly I don't see people in the Asia Pacific area flying to grab their Cassano shirts. Del Piero relates to an image of a good luck, skillful football player while Cassano relates to .. not so handsome and bad ass skill player.
Anyway, enough with this, frankly I didn't started my post so we can discuss the FULL commerical effects of Del Piero and Cassano,I merely want to state that at this point, Del Piero is much more popular world wide over Cassano. I never said that we should keep Del Piero here just for financial reasons, but the financial benefits Del Piero offers is ONE OF THE REASONS why we should not let him go at this stage since this thread is about the FINANCIAL BENEFITS of selling DP to get Cassano.

He wouldn't be here for this long anyway if he can't play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)