The Financial Situation (25 Viewers)

Jun 13, 2007
Exactly my point. We would still be on top with other teams clawing their way out of a debt hole that most italian teams are in. We were always in top-notch financial condition anyways thanks to our history of not overspending on players and when we went big was because we sold a player like Zidane. Our club was operating at a consistent top 3 in Europe rate. I honestly don't think that was a result of other italian teams doing well in CL or not. It was down to how we ran our own business.

- - - Updated - - -

Giovinco*
Yes we've had a better and more sustainable financial model than the rest of Italy and this has been the main cause for our success. However, you're making the mistake of isolating the importance of competition completely. If teams like Milan, Inter etc.. Never have us any Competition do you really believe that we would be this good. The point buck fuddy made its valid here. If we played in a shitty league, we wouldn't be nearly as good as we are.

Competition is good. This is the main point here. It drives teams to improve out of necessity. In addition, it gives you very positive externalities that we've mention many times before. Without those two main factors, no team can consistently be successful.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Hi there. :D

The only thing I can think of to cheer on another Italian team (after calciopoli keep in mind, that's why mode of thinking at this juncture) is if we are border line between 3rd an 4th place and because of the co-efficient scenario we only get 3 teams in the CL then it makes sense to get that 4th place seed back.

Otherwise...fuck em.

(I know you tend to have more eloquently written pieces on here...please forgive my American way of thinking out loud :stuckup: )
Regarding the coefficient scenario, it isn't simply a case of doing well in the CL. The onus is on Italian teams to do well in the Europa League just as well (if not better), as they also earn invaluable points to add to the coefficient. Given the fact that the winners of the Europa League gain automatic/direct entry into the CL (or qualifiers perhaps), I don't see a reason for Italian teams to overlook/ignore the importance of the EL anymore (imagine Roma finishing 6'th in the league, and winning the Europa League for example).

In the end it is all about balance. If Juventus and Milan (since traditionally they tend to do well in Europe) contiue to fly the flag for Serie A in the CL, whereas others (Lazio, Inter, Roma) do well in the EL, Serie A will gain enough exposure, and we shall be able to make enough money from the CL as well.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Regarding the coefficient scenario, it isn't simply a case of doing well in the CL. The onus is on Italian teams to do well in the Europa League just as well (if not better), as they also earn invaluable points to add to the coefficient. Given the fact that the winners of the Europa League gain automatic/direct entry into the CL (or qualifiers perhaps), I don't see a reason for Italian teams to overlook/ignore the importance of the EL anymore (imagine Roma finishing 6'th in the league, and winning the Europa League for example).

In the end it is all about balance. If Juventus and Milan (since traditionally they tend to do well in Europe) contiue to fly the flag for Serie A in the CL, whereas others (Lazio, Inter, Roma) do well in the EL, Serie A will gain enough exposure, and we shall be able to make enough money from the CL as well.
This is true.

Don't forget about Napoli now. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we've had a better and more sustainable financial model than the rest of Italy and this has been the main cause for our success. However, you're making the mistake of isolating the importance of competition completely. If teams like Milan, Inter etc.. Never have us any Competition do you really believe that we would be this good. The point buck fuddy made its valid here. If we played in a shitty league, we wouldn't be nearly as good as we are.

Competition is good. This is the main point here. It drives teams to improve out of necessity. In addition, it gives you very positive externalities that we've mention many times before. Without those two main factors, no team can consistently be successful.
If one makes the argument of having a strong league to attract better players to a variety of teams in Italy to make the league better then yes, perhaps the point would be a strong case. I still think we need to worry about ourselves and only ourselves.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Thing is I have 15 months left of payment on my car...but I want a new one so I'm going to test drive a new Mazda today and see what my trade-in-value would be on my car...maybe lease to lower my payment.

#debt
#baddecisions
mazda? you live in usa, can't you buy a new mustang for like 20-25 grand?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Cuz. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Why not?

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note but also completely on topic... :D

Reading the WSJ right now...article that Fiat SpA could distance itself from Chrysler. New shirt sponsors maybe? :shifty:

What are you up to Agnelli?

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
?? Do you guys think Juve is financially disadvantaged because the world's English or Spanish speaking populations are far larger than Italian speakers/origin??

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012
?? Do you guys think Juve is financially disadvantaged because the world's English or Spanish speaking populations are far larger than Italian speakers/origin??
Not really. We're disadvantaged because our league have failed to market itself internationally to the same level the others have. And because of systemic malfunction, bureaucratic mess and backward thinking.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
From a starting point it's an obvious advantage for them, in terms of being able to sell the package directly with no additional costs, but cultural similarities directly run alongside language. When I go to Cyprus the two most watched leagues are the PL and Serie A. The Cypriots speak English and it's a heavily broadcast and successful league, explains the PL. Serie A doesn't do shit to sell itself in a small place like that, but the culture and things like fashion mean that Italy has an interest and Serie A follows with it. You could say the same for other places around the Mediterranean and Middle East.

Does the PL have the biggest audience in North American, Oceania and Scandinavia. Certainly, and that'll most probably never change whilst they have at least a moderately strong league. In terms of familiarity, culture, language and product that is what the majority there want to see, that brand of fast, physical football.

I am assuming that in South America La Liga is the most watched European league, could be wrong here, but the PL and Serie A will be amongst them because of the players in each league.

The real issue is why the PL is the most watched in places like China, India (my initial point stands here to an extent), Japan, Korea etc. What Deep C said is most relevant here, those are the target markets.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
In my country La Liga is the one which peeps follow. Specially real madrid and Barcelona obv.

And yes, sadly, Italian teams need to do well in the CL. I dont mind Fiorentina, Napoli and the others.. but iDC about inter or milan. I despise those 2.

As long as their victories doesnt affect us directly.. let them be in the CL. That means less revenue for us, but if italian teams like Napoli and us, keep beating teams every year, we will forefully earn prestige and popularity, like in the old times.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Some people in Malta don't watch Italian football because of the cameras/picture of the transmission (which despite being HD just looks so much worse than the EPL does) and because the English league comes with English commentary, while Italian comes in Italian mainly, and the few matches in English are with horrible commentators

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Some people in Malta don't watch Italian football because of the cameras/picture of the transmission (which despite being HD just looks so much worse than the EPL does) and because the English league comes with English commentary, while Italian comes in Italian mainly, and the few matches in English are with horrible commentators
But it's English and Italian football, right? Which makes sense, of course.

Apr 29, 2006
...The real issue is why the PL is the most watched in places like China, India (my initial point stands here to an extent), Japan, Korea etc. What Deep C said is most relevant here, those are the target markets.
Absolutely the most important market by far now. Even if their purchasing power is times lower than European or North American now the trend is towards leveling and then the sheer size of the market there is already overcompensating.

And thats the thing here. To reach the widest audience you need a proper English -oriented TV channel. I don't know what the clubs are thinking with the Seria A channel (if it goes off), but I am more interested in Al Jazeera taking over tbh. They have the wealth and experience to create a proper Seria A package. People like Vialli (famous players, speaking decent english and with the required knowledge of the game) are vital. In terms of product value a good comentator is worth a few top players for a league.

Sometimes I am watching ?american? online streams for the games and it gives me the shivers. I am wondering - could I mute this guy somehow. They are unfamiliar with some basic shit - names, transfers, history...

When there is a CL night with an Italian team - I find SKY UK to be the best broadcaster. They have some fantastic guests and I do dig that.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Absolutely the most important market by far now. Even if their purchasing power is times lower than European or North American now the trend is towards leveling and then the sheer size of the market there is already overcompensating.
The Chinese market is just rocketing and obsessed with everything western, even the obesity rate is going through the roof :D If the league can't sell itself now then when?

Apr 29, 2006
The Chinese market is just rocketing and obsessed with everything western, even the obesity rate is going through the roof :D If the league can't sell itself now then when?
The problem really sets in when a league has mistrials, kangoroo courts and questionable justice from pretty much every level of tribunal/governance. And is proud to make it public too. While I do admire some parts of this particular mediterranean type of behaviour, it is certainly not helping in terms of global competition.

Pretty much every english pundit is talking about 'the level of corruption in italy', 'the shady things going on there' and throwing 'racism' here and there for good measure. Even the fucking germans do that now - imagine the balls of those pricks.
But all of those things are truly and only 'italiEn' fault. If they wanna stay competetive they can't be too 'italien' anymore I guess.

Apr 29, 2006
Yeap, yet another instance that will be kept under wraps. At most it will be said - we were bad, but now we are different. Trust us (we are doctors :D ) ...
And pretty much every league does the same. They just keep everything covered, which means that everyone involved has their best interests taken care of or at the very least given an opportunity that can be considered 'fair' in this world. :alen:
Again nothing like the circus that Italy would have brought into such a revelation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)