The Financial Situation (37 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
always :rofl: what was milan pre berlusconi?
berlusconi bought milan in '86. before that, milan won 10 scudetti (8 with berlusconi) and 4 italian cups (1 with berlusconi). milan won 4 european cups (cl's) with him, 2 ec's and 2 cup winners' cups without him.

i'll let you decide what was milan before berlusconi.

- - - Updated - - -

2 times European champion and 10 times Serie A champion?
:tup: yeah, i'm too slow again.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
This is a seriously good discussion.

In terms of international prestige people regard Juve, Milan, Inter and Roma to be 'big teams' historically. Lazio, Fiorentina, Napoli and even Palermo have a higher reputation than the rest of the league, too. I've mentioned before that all of those teams have a decent place to start from in terms of building an international following. As pointed out above Roma has 7 million followers on facebook. That's a great position for a team that hasn't challenged for anything in a generation.

In terms of the league becoming competitive I'd like to see Milan being bought by these Chinese guys while Napoli and Roma keep up their progress and get to a position to challenge, doing it the hard way. Then with the added audience the other teams I mentioned would gradually improve with the league as a whole. There are a couple of other things to consider, though.

- The Europa League: The league needs to do something (although I have no idea what) to make teams take it seriously. More coefficient points mean we get our fourth CL place back and with it the added cash.

- Stadiums: To be honest I think Roma and Milan or whoever just need to get it done somehow. Bribe whoever they need to and just sort it out. I love the current old-school stadiums we have but they don't fit the modern game (which I actually think is totally fucked, but there we are)

Anything which increases how much money is in the league will be good for the league, obviously. We can get that through the fans going to games, prize money or TV& Sponsorship money. This league has so much potential, though and just needs refurbishing. Imagine a world where those four teams I mentioned were CL regulars. Who would watch Man City vs Chelsea over a Milan vs Roma game? So much more prestige in that second tie.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Roma and prestige :lol: Palermo :rofl:

How high is Palermo's ceiling? ;p

Regarding Roma,they have only one thing going for them and that is they are located in a big city that has a wonderful history
behind it.

On a sporting level though,they have always been provincial club.No doubt about it.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
They have higher revenue than inter though. I think they have a good case to be that 3rd team long term behind Juve and Milan
They have higher revenue only because of the CL. Roma have far less fans in Italy than inter. Abroad as well and this directly impacts earnings.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
They have higher revenue only because of the CL. Roma have far less fans in Italy than inter. Abroad as well and this directly impacts earnings.
I think they can maintain the difference in the coming years if they continue to operate better than inter and maintain their CL status. Inter I hope gets bankrupt and starts out from Serie D like Parma

TueF

Jun 4, 2003
On a sporting level though,they have always been provincial club.No doubt about it.
So was Chelsea for the vast majority of it's history. When the Premier League was conceived the "Big Five" were Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton. Even Aston Villa was regarded as a bigger club. A competitive league and continued appearances in European football can change things quickly.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I read somewhere that Adidas is going to sponsor less teams. My guess is that perhaps Nike and Adidas have come to the conclusion that you are better off sponsoring the best teams and forget everyone else. It means more sponsorship dollars for the big teams and less for everyone else.

It is usually a chicken and the egg situation. If you win lots of trophies, you get more sponsorship which helps you win more trophies etc. Juve are in a good cycle at the moment - we need to maintain it until we do a new sponsorship with Adidas which would be 4-5 years away (from memory) I think.

Putting the Leicester City miracle aside, it would only be a matter of time where leagues such as Ligue 1, Serie A, Portugese league etc will struggle to stay afloat and the concept of a super league comes back. Teams like PSG, Juventus, Porto etc have more to gain from a super league than teams like Manchester United and Chelsea as they are already in the EPL which is the most lucrative.

Serie A is dragging Juventus down. I love seeing us win it every year but at the same time, I really want to see 2 or 3 other Serie A clubs really lift their game and give us some competition. If we didn't have such a terrible start, this year would have really been embarrassing.
We can win it every year, it doesn't matter. The clubs failing in CL/EL is what is hurting us, NOT us winning every year.

Tomate

Jul 19, 2014
The most important thing for italian football will be the next TV deal, which will be negotiated a year from now and start in 18/19. If a year from now it's clear that the next TV deal will be much better, good enough to not let the gap widen too much with our european competition, than you can plan much differently for the future than if it turns out that the next deal won't help much. A better TV deals leads to better teams and better teams lead to a more interesting league and a more interesting league leads to better sponsorship deals. It's the difference between an upward or a downward spiral from a leagues perspective.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
What I don't understand is why our Adidas deal is so so significantly smaller than the others. You'd think Adidas signs these deals hoping to make back the money in shirt sales. We sold 1.7 million shirts this season while Man Utd and Chelsea sold 3 million. How come our deal is worth 30 million and Chelsea's is worth 77 million? We sell more than half of what they sold yet we receive a lot less than half of what they make. As someone here said Real is rumoured to get a 140 million deal soon. They sold 2.9 million shirts.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
140mln?

Holy fuck.

We should fire whoever signed our deal and tell adidas to go fuck themselves.

I'd rather play with Givova than accept these pitty sums and shit treatment from adidas.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I checked followers on facebook and Milan still has more than us (24 milion to 23 milion), even after such a long period of mediocricity. That club has so much potential, its a miracle how they became so mediocre. Inter only has 5 milion (wtf) while Roma has 7 milion. I think Serie A would be just fine with Juve, Milan, Roma, Napoli as top4 clubs
I remember when we hit 10 million of Facebook, Milan had 22 million, so it's only a matter of months before we surge past them.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
The most important thing for italian football will be the next TV deal, which will be negotiated a year from now and start in 18/19. If a year from now it's clear that the next TV deal will be much better, good enough to not let the gap widen too much with our european competition, than you can plan much differently for the future than if it turns out that the next deal won't help much. A better TV deals leads to better teams and better teams lead to a more interesting league and a more interesting league leads to better sponsorship deals. It's the difference between an upward or a downward spiral from a leagues perspective.
Yes, the latest BPL deal will surely affect the deals made by other leagues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)