The Dreamers' religious discussion thread. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2006
As Red requested, here's the thread where we can discuss about religion.

Answer this Dreamer: Why do you want to blindly believe in religion and all that it has to offer? This discussion has offered so many reasons as to why you don't need God to lead a life. All the praying and faith in him since your birth has clearly yielded nothing. If god really loves you, then why is he subjecting you to so much pain and suffering? And despite all this, why do you still believe in this concept? Why don't you rather believe in something that is truly logical rather than this fairy tale you've been forced to believe? What incentive have you got after all these years?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks for the thread.

Well, first of all you don't believe in God to have a good life. It's supposed to come with the package later, but the reason people believe in God is generally for after life, not life.

Most people go on with their lives normally, and whether they're religious or not, it doesn't make much difference. Luck, fate, destiny, or whatever you call it, doesn't seem to favor the most religious or the well behaved... it's just life. No one understands it and no one gets it. Some people do better than others, but I gurantuee almost everyone doesn't know what the hell he's doing in here.

Anyway to stay on topic. Pain is part of this world. Honestly I'm not as informed about religion as I would like to be. But yeah some questions bug me too. I have many unanswered questions that are making me literally go crazy. I might be the most depressed person in the world, but I don't think religion has to do with it.

I wasn't "forced" to believe in anything. Faith is a choice. Most people have certain religion in their IDs but very rarely truly believe/care about it. I just know it inside me that God exists and that there is an after life. It's a feeling... a faith, whatever you want to call it. There isn't necessarily any logic behind it (while religion can prove to be correct, but I leave this to the better informed people than me). However I remember a piece I read that contains scientific facts in the Qura'an that NO WAY any human being could have known 1400 years ago.

I could look it up if you want.

Anyway, it's not a fairy tale, it's the exact opposite. To me the fairytale would be the ability to live life freely. If I was an atheist like you, I would really be enjoying life. I'd have sex non stop and always be drunk and on drugs. I wouldn't care about people's feelings and I wouldn't care about anything in general. After all, nothing matters, so why bother? I could do whatever the hell I want and have the perfect life.

But I just know that we're not here for this. We can't be just born to live some time then die and that's it. Life is too fucked up, there HAS to be some logic behind it. Which I'm dying to know.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Anyway, it's not a fairy tale, it's the exact opposite. To me the fairytale would be the ability to live life freely. If I was an atheist like you, I would really be enjoying life. I'd have sex non stop and always be drunk and on drugs. I wouldn't care about people's feelings and I wouldn't care about anything in general. After all, nothing matters, so why bother? I could do whatever the hell I want and have the perfect life.
Do you know what? People who believe in god always say this about atheists. And I don't know a single atheist, myself included, who is anything like this or behaves in this way.

So whoever told you this was making it up (and probably didn't know a single atheist). And if that's the case, then you might want to ask yourself if other things he told you weren't also made up...

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Well, first of all you don't believe in God to have a good life. It's supposed to come with the package later, but the reason people believe in God is generally for after life, not life.

To my mind, and from a lot of other peoples from books iv read and things i've seen in popular culture, Immortality is seen as a negative thing. The idea of being alive for ever, and ever and ever. It would be like everyday is sunday, my idea of hell. So why would you want to end your life to then going on living indefinatley with some of the most boring people in existence?

I'd rather die at 80 knowing id lived a happy life not wasting it in churches and that be the end, than an eternity of nothing.

That was a fucking brash thing to say, you think that athiests don't care about other people? I tend to find that athiests are far more caring people than theists, especially considering they dont believe that everyone that doesn't agree with their fairy tale is going to hell....

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
That's what I used to think. It doesn't work that way.

Do you pray?

Jul 23, 2010
Do you know what? People who believe in god always say this about atheists. And I don't know a single atheist, myself included, who is anything like this or behaves in this way.

So whoever told you this was making it up (and probably didn't know a single atheist). And if that's the case, then you might want to ask yourself if other things he told you weren't also made up...
No one told me so. I just assume it. I mean if there was no one to judge me, why don't I do whatever pleases me?

Doesn't that make sense?

To my mind, and from a lot of other peoples from books iv read and things i've seen in popular culture, Immortality is seen as a negative thing. The idea of being alive for ever, and ever and ever. It would be like everyday is sunday, my idea of hell. So why would you want to end your life to then going on living indefinatley with some of the most boring people in existence?

I'd rather die at 80 knowing id lived a happy life not wasting it in churches and that be the end, than an eternity of nothing.
It's not about that. I know you'll think it's yida yadda but it's not a real "life". It's unimaginable or undescribable. It's basically everything you wish will come true in an instant. And you'll live like this forever. The ultimate prize.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
If I was an atheist like you, I would really be enjoying life. I'd have sex non stop and always be drunk and on drugs. I wouldn't care about people's feelings and I wouldn't care about anything in general. After all, nothing matters, so why bother? I could do whatever the hell I want and have the perfect life.

Why? Who says that that would be constantly enjoying life?

You don't have to believe the above mentioned life is going to punish you for eternity or be against some higher idea of morals to recognize that it would be a shitty lifestyle to have.

Jul 23, 2010
Why? Who says that that would be constantly enjoying life?

You don't have to believe the above mentioned life is going to punish you for eternity or be against some higher idea of morals to recognize that I would be a shitty lifestyle to have.
What? I always thought that's the perfect life.

Sex is a given. Drinking and drugs just for moments when you're down and you want to feel good.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
No one told me so. I just assume it. I mean if there was no one to judge me, why don't I do whatever pleases me?

Doesn't that make sense?
Then countless other people assumed the same thing. And apparently their assumptions have nothing to do with reality.

So again, maybe your assumptions are not so factual as you think they are.

Doesn't that make sense?
No, it doesn't. Because humans are social animals, we have to somewhat coexist with other people around us and even when people say things like "I don't care what people think about me", it's almost never true. People care deeply what others think, and their actions are deeply affected by that, trying to behave in a way that will bring them social success.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
im going to bed now, but i cant wait to pick this up again tomorrow unless a mod ruins the fun. We haven't had a theist being this stupid since JBF used to get riled up about stuff :weee:

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
It's not about that. I know you'll think it's yida yadda but it's not a real "life". It's unimaginable or undescribable. It's basically everything you wish will come true in an instant. And you'll live like this forever. The ultimate prize.
My point still stands because in that sentence completely you nullified everything you said.

Jul 23, 2010
Then countless other people assumed the same thing. And apparently their assumptions have nothing to do with reality.

So again, maybe your assumptions are not so factual as you think they are.

No, it doesn't. Because humans are social animals, we have to somewhat coexist with other people around us and even when people say things like "I don't care what people think about me", it's almost never true. People care deeply what others think, and their actions are deeply affected by that, trying to behave in a way that will bring them social success.
Yeah but I always thought smokers and drinkers were the coolest guys around? :alen:

You might not isolate yourself from the whole world, but you have a freedom that you don't quite know it's worth. You could let go of a lot of your morals, these old ones holding you back, just because there is no one to judge you. It's your life and your decisions, and in the end it's all the same results, so might as well have some fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)