the big match: Italy - Wales (9 Viewers)

Goleador

Sep 10, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Trap is a madman. Playing DP as a trequartista is questionable, but to play him as a left winger in a four man midfield is retarded! It's OK to put him out on the left in the 4-2-3-1 formation because he has the freedome to roam all over the place in this scheme, but in a 4-4-2 he is confined to the flank and he'll never be able to offer his very best in this position!
Exactly. Why go to 4-4-2 when we have good players to play with 4-2-3-1?
Why cant we use example Fiore in place of Totti? And why is Trap insisted of playing Zanetti even when he knows he is not in 100% fit? Not even close. Why dont he use Gattuso rather than Zanetti. I feel bad already...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Italy U21 8 - 1 Wales U21

Gilardino 17, 49, 69, 86 (I), Brighi 20 (I), Vaughan 27 (W), Sculli 35, 64 (I), Borriello 94 (I)
Pavia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy are through to the European Under-21 Championships after hammering Wales 8-1 with an Alberto Gilardino poker.

It is a result that enables Claudio Gentile's men to maintain their 100 per cent qualifying record in some style.

There was an early scare when Angelo Pisano's back-pass was intercepted by Gall, but goalkeeper Marco Amelia recovered admirably.

The Azzurrini had the better of the play and took a deserved lead through Alberto Gilardino's header on a whipped in Gaetano D'Agostino cross. The Parma striker was at full stretch to redirect the powerful centre on to the far post and past the Welsh 'keeper.

Soon after Italy made it two thanks to Brescia's new signing Matteo Brighi. Goalkeeper Brown was able to parry his first effort, but could do nothing on the follow-up.

Wales got back into the game on the half-hour mark when Vaughan's free kick took Amelia by surprise and slotted into the top corner.

But the Azzurrini were always in control and restored a two-goal cushion before the break with Chievo man Giuseppe Sculli. Giampiero Pinzi's low cross got through to Sculli after Gilardino's intelligent feint. It was his first international goal in almost a year.

Gilardino has been the on-form member of Claudio Gentile's team so far this season and netted his second at the dawn of the second half. Once again Udinese's Pinzi was the provider for a fine left-foot volley.

Sculli also bagged a brace for himself with a low drive following good build-up play from the ubiquitous Pinzi and Gilardino.

But there could be no doubting the star of this show. Parma hitman Gilardino rose to nod in a centre from rising Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi. It was the teen's Under-21 international debut after an impressive summer stint with the Giallorossi.

Gilardino completed a unique evening for him by netting his fourth goal of the game in the closing minutes. Pinzi was an accidental provider this time, tripping up as he ran into the box, but Gilardino was on hand to turn in the loose ball.

Sculli will be suspended for Tuesday's trip to Serbia & Montenegro, but his probable replacement Marco Borriello rounded off the rout with a splendid goal in stoppage time.

The Milan striker controlled a D'Agostino ball forward, then cut back past his marker and coolly nutmegged the goalkeeper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy U21: Amelia; Zaccardo, Bonera, Cannavaro, Pisano (Moretti 22); Pinzi, Brighi (Palombo 62), De Rossi, D'Agostino; Gilardino, Sculli (Borriello 70)

Wales U21: Brown; Pejic, Collins (Powell 64), Rees, Sommer; Pipe, Brough, Fowler, Vaughan; Gall, G Williams (M Williams 23)

Ref: Alves Garcia (Por)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Oh well I kinda predicted the lineup a wjile ago as I know how Trap thinks.........I did say I didnt think he was a fan Of Fiore's and I have been proved right

No matter how badly Panucci plays and he is really terrible, he is always picked

The fact that he recalled Inzaghi only means he is going to start him or Inzaghi would sulk again so invariably he has to start

this has alwyas been my biggest problem with Italian coaches, its either they tinker too much like Ranieri or they are too rigid like Lippi , Capello and Trapatoni

Ok so Totti is injured , why just not change the system as noone and I mean noone in that squad can play anything like the way Totti plays

Cassano? who knows but he has not been tested in that role and this is too important a game to take that kinda risk

Pirlo? I have always thought he is better in front of the back 4 rather than behind the front 2 as he is not good enough imo

Dp? this is a no brainer as he absolutely sucks in that area imo and to his credit , he does not liek to play there

Fiore? best of the bunch but not reliable enough or does not have the A game to bring to that role as he is not that good to do it

Solution? why not just play a simple 4-4-2 with players who are comfortable in their roles instead of trying to accommodate egos and stars

Vieri definitely should start and since Dp has actually scored goals for Italy this and last year then he should start ahead of Inzaghi who has not scored for a while and someone like Di Natale who is quite a good winger should have been on the left

If things are not going well then you can bring on Inzaghi

This is what happened when Italy played England to qualify for wc98 when Italy needing ti won started with 3 strikers and flopped seriously as they were not used to it, i think it was Inzaghi, Vieri and Chiesa or Zola, they were so lopsided and disjointed

Well Trap might be proved right and lets face it even though Wales have come up in leaps and bounds , Italy should still win but they do make life difficult by trying to accommodate stars instead of playing ppl in thier rightful positions

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I was really confident going into this game but I dunno anymore. The starting line-up looks horrible IMO, and it's not like if Trap didn't have any options, he just chooses to ignore them (Di Natale, Di Vaio). I doubt DP will have a good game on the left and alot will depend on Camoranesi since Zanetti and Tacchinardi aren't gonna supply Vieri and Inzaghi like Totti or Fiore would.

Prediction: Italy to take it, but just barely. Maybe thanks to a controversial penalty or a fluky Inzaghi goal.

Kiko

Jun 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++

Italy U21: Amelia; Zaccardo, Bonera, Cannavaro , Pisano (Moretti 22); Pinzi, Brighi (Palombo 62), De Rossi, D'Agostino; Gilardino, Sculli (Borriello 70)
Brothers or just same name?

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
Yeah, but they can, only 2 or 3 of them. I remember in Sydney 2000 that the Brazillian public wanted the U21 manager (only U21 teams compete in the Olympics I think) to pick Romario for the tournament.
the olympics is an U23 tournament and each team can call up to 3 senior players.. but i thot that rule only apply in that tounament.. if i not mistaken this match would be the European U21 Championship Qualifying right?

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Inzaghi and Vieri upfront is risky in my view. Because its OK to have DP playing on the left if has someone in the centre like Totti supporting the movement.

Traps' line up will be something like this in reality:

-------------------Buffon-----------------

Panucci---Canna---Nesta--------------
----------------------------------Zambro
-------------Zanetti---Tacch------------
Camoran
------------------------------Del Piero---
--------------Inzaghi---Vieri------------

Our midfield will suck in this game. I predict that no matter what the outcome we will have 40% of ball possession.

Italy would have been much better off like this:

----Camoran-----------------------------
----------------------Del Piero-----------
---------------------------------Di Vaio---
---------------------Vieri------------------

If you play a strict 4-4-2 you need pace on the wing....and in Italy's 442 we will have to pray that Zambro has a good game because when he plays left back he plays more like a wing back like Roberto Carlos does for Madrid.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
BTW, our midfield has always been Italy's weak point...and when you play with 2 centre forwards, we are really going to struggle. Inzaghi and Vieri can score goals but they do nothing in midfield...that will mean that they bloody better take the few chances they get.

Alyazia

Jul 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
Inzaghi and Vieri upfront is risky in my view. Because its OK to have DP playing on the left if has someone in the centre like Totti supporting the movement.

Traps' line up will be something like this in reality:

Camoran
------------------------------Del Piero---
--------------Inzaghi---Vieri------------

Our midfield will suck in this game. I predict that no matter what the outcome we will have 40% of ball possession.

Italy would have been much better off like this:

----Camoran-----------------------------
----------------------Del Piero-----------
---------------------------------Di Vaio---
---------------------Vieri------------------

If you play a strict 4-4-2 you need pace on the wing....and in Italy's 442 we will have to pray that Zambro has a good game because when he plays left back he plays more like a wing back like Roberto Carlos does for Madrid.
oh no not Zanetti i really hate the guy..!!!
& ur 2nd formation is 2 thumbs up..!!!:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)