The Azzurrini (U21) Thread (4 Viewers)

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
We can't deny that Italians are a bit unlucky in Finals lately. It was like watching Euro 2012 once again.

I can't also deny that Spain are not worth this win, but c'mon the ref ruined everything with that stupid penalty decision. (first one, of course). You can't whistle like this in Final. :sergio:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
We can't deny that Italians are a bit unlucky in Finals lately. It was like watching Euro 2012 once again.

I can't also deny that Spain are not worth this win, but c'mon the ref ruined everything with that stupid penalty decision. (first one, of course). You can't whistle like this in Final. :sergio:
Absolutely, Spain were the superior side. But this game, once again, shouldn't have gone like that.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You're moaning about nothing (Italy started a 20 year old in the national team the other day for example), it would be difficult for any nation to have that amount of experience in the u21 team.
I'm not speaking my mind about Italian NT, but teams in Italy. There are many players that are talented but don't get a chance to prove themselves. It's just a different (wrong) mentality IMO. You can see coaches like Ranieri saying 'he's too young/inexperienced for Italy'. Insigne for example should be a starter, not coming from the bench most of the time. Youth is getting their chance in Germany as well, you can see gems coming out every season. It's just a different situation in Italy generally, hence the weaker league too in my opinion.

And I've been saying it for a while, it has nothing to do with todays defeat. I simply think Spain is a lot stronger, which is nothing to be embarrassed about. And unlike previous generation, I think this generation has more talent in Italy. Hopefully they won't ruin it all with their weird approach on the pitch.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Isn't Thiago born in '91? How can he still play in this thing if he's 22?
Marrone born '90 :yao:

- - - Updated - - -

How did they not qualify?
I looked at it closely, and Europeans teams for this u20 WC are 6 best teams from 2012 Under-19 Euro out of 8 participants. Italy didn't qualified for the 2012 euro because of guess what ? They finished in the qualification group second (only winner went through) after fking SPAIN :sergio:

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
Marrone born '90 :yao:

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at it closely, and Europeans teams for this u20 WC are 6 best teams from 2012 Under-19 Euro out of 8 participants. Italy didn't qualified for the 2012 euro because of guess what ? They finished in the qualification group second (only winner went through) after fking SPAIN :sergio:
Nope. They were behind of Turkey if you mean the U19 tournament.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
May 22, 2007
I'm not speaking my mind about Italian NT, but teams in Italy. There are many players that are talented but don't get a chance to prove themselves. It's just a different (wrong) mentality IMO. You can see coaches like Ranieri saying 'he's too young/inexperienced for Italy'. Insigne for example should be a starter, not coming from the bench most of the time. Youth is getting their chance in Germany as well, you can see gems coming out every season. It's just a different situation in Italy generally, hence the weaker league too in my opinion.
I don't get your point, you can look at pretty much every club in the league and see there are plenty of players under the age of 23 getting regular games for them, Ranieri isn't representative of what Serie A is today. I could go through the teams but it would be a waste of time, it's fairly easy to point out the youngsters getting game time, even at the bigger clubs.

Insigne didn't earn the right to walk into the Napoli starting XI over Pandev yet, he's growing into the league still. Nothing wrong with that approach.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
4-2 is a good enough score for the azzurrini to bow out of an encouraging tournament showing with their heads held high. On the balance of play and chances, it could have been much worse for the Italians, with Spain dominating the midfield and carving out chances with impressive consistency from start to finish.

Both italys goals were wonderful and had our captain not lost his player in the box twice, and had florenzi put that great chance away in the first half, who knows eh! Perhaps we could have won.

However, this was a match of men agaisnt boys. And a wake-up call to the Italian footballing culture which rarely gives youth a chance at the top level domestically. Whilst isco is coming off a great season in la primera, battling against atletico Madrid and Barcelona, our own fausto rossi has spent the recently finished stagione shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Ternana, pro vercelli and ascoli. As somnath (ever the font of calm, well reasoned analysis) declared during the half time break in the slaughter, we can't expect miracles from players lacking experience and regular football in the top flight of Italian football.

We weren't humiliated but neither were we within touching distance of our opponents.

Conte broke with tradition with pogba, but after confirming Luca marrone in our first team squad the youngster was offered only a sporadic starting role as a cb. With matri as our only prima punta, ciro immobile was sent out to always likely to struggle genoa, after showing in a blistering serie b campaign with pescara.

Conte is a young, already successful, progressive manager. And with the likes of immobile, leali, sorensen and gabbiadini on our books, perhaps the tide will turn. Add to that group appelt, buoy, beltrame, mattiello and sakor and it's plain to see that in terms of procuring and coaching quality youth we are on the right tracks.

What needs to happen is for the youngsters to be given a chance to shine sooner rather than later.

Nonetheless, it's been a good tournament for Mangia and the lads and the performances and results bode well for the future.

deggen10

Jul 27, 2011
Insigne didn't earn the right to walk into the Napoli starting XI over Pandev yet, he's growing into the league still. Nothing wrong with that approach.
Isn't that kind of the problem. That the coach only wants one type of that player? Why can't they both play... because too many coaches still have a DM fetish.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
4-2 is a good enough score for the azzurrini to bow out of an encouraging tournament showing with their heads held high. On the balance of play and chances, it could have been much worse for the Italians, with Spain dominating the midfield and carving out chances with impressive consistency from start to finish.

Both italys goals were wonderful and had our captain not lost his player in the box twice, and had florenzi put that great chance away in the first half, who knows eh! Perhaps we could have won.

However, this was a match of men agaisnt boys. And a wake-up call to the Italian footballing culture which rarely gives youth a chance at the top level domestically. Whilst isco is coming off a great season in la primera, battling against atletico Madrid and Barcelona, our own fausto rossi has spent the recently finished stagione shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Ternana, pro vercelli and ascoli. As somnath (ever the font of calm, well reasoned analysis) declared during the half time break in the slaughter, we can't expect miracles from players lacking experience and regular football in the top flight of Italian football.

We weren't humiliated but neither were we within touching distance of our opponents.

Conte broke with tradition with pogba, but after confirming Luca marrone in our first team squad the youngster was offered only a sporadic starting role as a cb. With matri as our only prima punta, ciro immobile was sent out to always likely to struggle genoa, after showing in a blistering serie b campaign with pescara.

Conte is a young, already successful, progressive manager. And with the likes of immobile, leali, sorensen and gabbiadini on our books, perhaps the tide will turn. Add to that group appelt, buoy, beltrame, mattiello and sakor and it's plain to see that in terms of procuring and coaching quality youth we are on the right tracks.

What needs to happen is for the youngsters to be given a chance to shine sooner rather than later.

Nonetheless, it's been a good tournament for Mangia and the lads and the performances and results bode well for the future.
Things ned to chage definitely.

We have the key in our youngsters.

Italian are to stubborn and afraid to lose. Thats their problem IMO.
Giving the chance to youngsters, for italians is equal to inexperience and lost points. Bigger teams prefer lesser teams to do the job they should do. And even those lesser teams are afraid of doing that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)