The AFC Asian 2007 Cup (20 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Man those Koreans sneak through by the kind of their teath.

Go Uzbek, and knock China out so that Iran can take their business against Korea as they always do.:D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
4-0 thrashing of thailand even tho the result didnt show the type of match which thailand dominated most of second half. But to watch Viduka score 2 Kewell score a speedy goal and Cahill come on and make a hatrick of assits was damn good to watch. Defence looked ten times better with Milligan and Beachcamp rematch V Japan oh i cant wait. Come on Aussies!!!
Cant wait for the rematch of WC. That really was gut-wrenching defeat. If Konno Yasuyuki had the brain to (1) dive - for which he was clearly fouled, and (2) foul opposition to stop the play, the result could have changed dramatically.

I feel we will beat Austrailia. Its a destiny.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

Quarter finals:-

Iraq - Vietnam
Japan - Australia
Iran - Korea
Saudi - Uzbekistan

I think Japan will take the cup this time.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002

Quarter finals:-

Iraq - Vietnam
Japan - Australia
Iran - Korea
Saudi - Uzbekistan

I think Japan will take the cup this time.
I have to say we looked class apart in this year's tournament. Last time round, couple of teams gave us a real scare most notably Bahrain, but we are playing far better style now.

But as I have said numerous times, current NT looks a bit short on defensive players. We conceded in every single despite the fact we absoluetely dominated possession, and the opposition, lets face it, is probably of less quality than the majority of J-League teams (well UAE got good reputation, but they have been disastrous this tournament with really bad attitudes). I have niggling feeling about Korea. Just a hunch, but there are still in the tournament, and that is a bad omen.
First off though, those Aussies. What we way to give them revenge.:D

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
I have to say we looked class apart in this year's tournament. Last time round, couple of teams gave us a real scare most notably Bahrain, but we are playing far better style now.

But as I have said numerous times, current NT looks a bit short on defensive players. We conceded in every single despite the fact we absoluetely dominated possession, and the opposition, lets face it, is probably of less quality than the majority of J-League teams (well UAE got good reputation, but they have been disastrous this tournament with really bad attitudes). I have niggling feeling about Korea. Just a hunch, but there are still in the tournament, and that is a bad omen.
First off though, those Aussies. What we way to give them revenge.:D
I don't think Australia will pose a danger for your NT. I'm expecting a convincing win from Japan. IMO, Australia, Vietnam, and Uzbekistan are the weakest teams that are left in the tournament.

UAE and reputation? As I recall they never had any :D The only time UAE has played a decent football ever was when the Asian Cup (don't remember which year) was hosted in their country, where they progressed to the final, only to lose on penalties to Saudi's. Other that that time, they've always been crap.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I don't think Australia will pose a danger for your NT. I'm expecting a convincing win from Japan. IMO, Australia, Vietnam, and Uzbekistan are the weakest teams that are left in the tournament.

UAE and reputation? As I recall they never had any :D The only time UAE has played a decent football ever was when the Asian Cup (don't remember which year) was hosted in their country, where they progressed to the final, only to lose on penalties to Saudi's. Other that that time, they've always been crap.
Well, I just said that for Ahmed.;)

No seriously, if there was any team that could have troubled in that group it was UAE after their triumph in Gulf Cup. But they were shockingly bad in this tournament. It is not like they make WC every time. For them this is probably the biggest tournament they participate in, and how can you not press opposition at all!

Uzbek's are underrated IMO. I felt they would beat China and so they did. They went out last tournament without loosing a game. Lost penalties to Bahrain if I remember. I know European friends here funny, but Uzbek is not a country that Asian teams fancy meeting. They will beat proceed to Semi-Final and loose to the winner of Korea vs Iran. History says Iran, but something in me says it will be Korea.

Japan vs Korea in the final would be cracking match. I cant just imagine commentators going "Our eternal rival Korea match is here".

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
Well, I just said that for Ahmed.;)

Uzbek's are underrated IMO. I felt they would beat China and so they did. They went out last tournament without loosing a game. Lost penalties to Bahrain if I remember. I know European friends here funny, but Uzbek is not a country that Asian teams fancy meeting. They will beat proceed to Semi-Final and loose to the winner of Korea vs Iran. History says Iran, but something in me says it will be Korea.

Japan vs Korea in the final would be cracking match. I cant just imagine commentators going "Our eternal rival Korea match is here".
The thing with Iran in this tournament is that they have never hit top form yet, despite toping the group. The first game against Uzbeks, we played terrible despite winning the game 2-1 (not to give any credit to the Uzbeks), and against Chine very mediocre display. On paper, Iran is better than Korea almost in every department, but if we keep on playing shitty as the group stage, then Korea has a very good chance of progressing.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
The thing with Iran in this tournament is that they have never hit top form yet, despite toping the group. The first game against Uzbeks, we played terrible despite winning the game 2-1 (not to give any credit to the Uzbeks), and against Chine very mediocre display. On paper, Iran is better than Korea almost in every department, but if we keep on playing shitty as the group stage, then Korea has a very good chance of progressing.
To be honest, I think full strenght Iran and Korea are evenly matched on paper. But there is no doubt in this Asian Cup Iran is definetely stronger of the two. And yet, I get this hunch. You know those betting hunch that tells you underdog can cause upset. Speaking of bad form, don't mention that to Koreans. They have been nothing short of terrible.

Player that impressed for me from Iran was Andrik. What good player in the middle of park. He is dynamic and does so many little things that allows players like Madhavikia and Karimi to shine. Speaking of Karimi, where is real Ali Karimi. He was the best player in last tournament by a good distance (yes better than Shunsuke) and yet 4 years old, he looks completely lost and being totally overshadowed by supreme Nakamura. And Madhavikia whom I thought was the best player in Asia for a long time, doesnt look like the same player. He lost his burst of acceleration, and I think this will be the key. His pace was the single most important reason why Iran beat Korea in that scincillating 4:3 match last time they meet each other even if Karimi scored a hattrick. I don't see the same penetration on Iranian team due to age and loss of form that leads me to the hunch that it will be us Korea final. But you know what, I wouldnt mind Iran giving Koreans a lesson in football.:D

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
To be honest, I think full strenght Iran and Korea are evenly matched on paper. But there is no doubt in this Asian Cup Iran is definetely stronger of the two. And yet, I get this hunch. You know those betting hunch that tells you underdog can cause upset. Speaking of bad form, don't mention that to Koreans. They have been nothing short of terrible.

Player that impressed for me from Iran was Andrik. What good player in the middle of park. He is dynamic and does so many little things that allows players like Madhavikia and Karimi to shine. Speaking of Karimi, where is real Ali Karimi. He was the best player in last tournament by a good distance (yes better than Shunsuke) and yet 4 years old, he looks completely lost and being totally overshadowed by supreme Nakamura. And Madhavikia whom I thought was the best player in Asia for a long time, doesnt look like the same player. He lost his burst of acceleration, and I think this will be the key. His pace was the single most important reason why Iran beat Korea in that scincillating 4:3 match last time they meet each other even if Karimi scored a hattrick. I don't see the same penetration on Iranian team due to age and loss of form that leads me to the hunch that it will be us Korea final. But you know what, I wouldnt mind Iran giving Koreans a lesson in football.:D
Yes, Teymourian has been excellent. Him and Nekounam have been Iran's best performers for the past year or so. Karimi - ever since joining Bayern, he's been a totally different player, no more fancy tricks and dribbles with the ball, instead he passes the ball a lot more. I guess the Bayern coach told him to stop dribbling so much. Mahdavikia on the other hand has been on the decline for some time now, certainly past his best, but still does a decent job against Asian teams.

My predictions against Korea is 3-2 for Iran :D

alex74

Oct 1, 2006
Yes, Teymourian has been excellent. Him and Nekounam have been Iran's best performers for the past year or so. Karimi - ever since joining Bayern, he's been a totally different player, no more fancy tricks and dribbles with the ball, instead he passes the ball a lot more. I guess the Bayern coach told him to stop dribbling so much. Mahdavikia on the other hand has been on the decline for some time now, certainly past his best, but still does a decent job against Asian teams.

My predictions against Korea is 3-2 for Iran :D
Im always tryin to convince my self that thats the reason for his current form.
He was asia's best player, to see him play like this is heart-breakin for me:p

Teymourian and nekonam are definatly excellent, my personal fav from the NT is definalty nekonam. But kazemian has played a good part in all 3 matches! he comes in as a substitute and changes the pace of the game. For the matches so far, weve been playing so horribly during the first half, Ghalenoei really needs to do something about that, why not start with Kazemian and Madanci?
As for Hashemian and Enayati... ive never seen finishing this horrible.

Im waiting to see Iran in top form, and i hope your prediction is right because i think it will be very difficult.

Lastly, saudi-bahrain, 4-0... wtf:oops:

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
oh i love it australia underdogs expected to loose. Thats the way we like it.. it will be tough especially if its as hot as expected. All i can say to Japan is when Cahill comes on u betta watch out he destroyed u last time he destroyed Thailand apart and if given chance again he will do things other players cant. His just a super player.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
well bahrain's rubbish tournament finally reached an abrupt end with a good old thrashing from the good old rivals. Talal Yousef, Hussain Ali have retired and the team manager resigned. However i hope Macalla stays as hes a good coach and with time and the right privileges he could create a good team again.

Iran look the best out of the teams there, and i like their chances.

The socceroos will relish the underdog label on them, but Japan will not take their feet off the pedal like they did in the WC and will give the team a good run for their money. I expect a good game.

I hope Iraq do well too .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)