The 4-yr. old Preacher (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Its funny that atheists on here are posting quotes and videos from famous scientists. The likes of Hawking and Einstein may be geniuses in their fields of science, but that does not mean that they're well learned on the subject of religion or have any real understanding of spirituality. Why would you have a professional from a completely different field of scholarship critique religion?

Buy on AliExpress.com

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
Its funny that atheists on here are posting quotes and videos from famous scientists. The likes of Hawking and Einstein may be geniuses in their fields of science, but that does not mean that they're well learned on the subject of religion or have any real understanding of spirituality. Why would you have a professional from a completely different field of scholarship critique religion?
I posted the hawkings video in response to the einstein and newton discussion which started. I did it after showing they were believers.this was a continuation to show that even a supposed atheist accepts a version of God. It may not be a personal God but a God none the less

OP
Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #803
    No its not. Such debates should be treated with respect. That means providing evidence and using sophisticated language. A stand up routine is irrelevant within the debate. You may as well post those in the youtube junk thread.
    Not if the content of the standup routine is relevant to the topic being discussed. It brings a different perspective to the debate, which should add a different angle to the debate.

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    A bunch of guys decided he was divine. Jesus' image is based on the leader of that group.
    This group was the First Council of Nicaea.

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #805
    Why should religion be exempted of critique? Just because it's made out to be divine? Cos it deliberately places itself outside of scientific verification, yet somehow implies that it has the power to intervene in the material world? Give me a good reason why it should me exempted of critique.
    I posted the hawkings video in response to the einstein and newton discussion which started. I did it after showing they were believers.this was a continuation to show that even a supposed atheist accepts a version of God. It may not be a personal God but a God none the less
    Clearly, there are 2 different definitions of god here. And the version Einstein distanced himself from is of a good definition of the gods described in theistic religions. The version of god he does believe in is not the god described in theistic religions. To imply that it's perfectly alright to believe in your definition of god by stating that Einstein believed in another definition of god(which btw is an 'appeal to authority' fallacy, as stated before), is quite simply WRONG!

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    No its not. Such debates should be treated with respect. That means providing evidence
    This is where the pro-religion debate falls a bit flat, I'm afraid. Because so much of it requires faith, not just in divine beings but in the stories and events.

Of course science can also only go so far in terms of evidence in contrast to theory, but it has already dispelled several events in holy books as either impossible or overwhelmingly unlikely. So then you have to believe they happened as complete miracles, have been misinterpreted, or are extremely rare events.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    This is where the pro-religion debate falls a bit flat, I'm afraid. Because so much of it requires faith, not just in divine beings but in the stories and events.

Of course science can also only go so far in terms of evidence in contrast to theory, but it has already dispelled several events in holy books as either impossible or overwhelmingly unlikely. So then you have to believe they happened as complete miracles, have been misinterpreted, or are extremely rare events.
    So how does that fall flat? Also which event were acientifically unproven? None

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #809

And religious texts go with the possibility of complete miracles, as all the people who perform it are made out to be divine and be the only ones who could perform it.

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #811
    Thats inncorect as well. JESUS clearly tells his followers if you have faith you can do the things he can.
    And have there been reports of humans in post Industrial age, humans with utmost faith have walked on water, parted the seas, turned water into wine, died and were resurrected? Have humans been able to demonstrate this claim?

Can the Pope walk on water? Or turn it into wine?

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    In the end the nonbelievers here.seem to not want to have a serious discussion. They fabricate things, mock and ridicule. Listen and read selectively and in the end do not even really want to discuss this. So unless their are serious overtures again in this discussion. I am finished with this ny patience is wearing thin and I do not want to get angry and say something unkind

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    And have there been reports of humans in post Industrial age, humans with utmost faith have walked on water, parted the seas, turned water into wine, died and were resurrected? Have humans been able to demonstrate this claim?

Can the Pope walk on water? Or turn it into wine?
    Look up padre pio as one such miracle worker. Their are but you wouldnt know because that isn't something that matters to you

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    So how does that fall flat? Also which event were acientifically unproven? None
    You ask me and then answer with complete nonsense? :confused:

Walking on water
    Parting a sea
    Stopping the sun
    Drawing water from a rock
    Controlling the weather
    Turning water into wine
    Resurrecting the dead
    Feeding thousands with a few loaves of bread
    Splitting the moon
    Water flowing from bare fingers

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
    You ask me and then answer with complete nonsense? :confused:

Walking on water
    Parting a sea
    Stopping the sun
    Drawing water from a rock
    Controlling the weather
    Turning water into wine
    Resurrecting the dead
    Feeding thousands with a few loaves of bread
    Splitting the moon
    Water flowing from bare fingers
    So you think science has proved this as impossible or do you believe science just cant speak.to these things? There are alot if things science cant speak to. Does that make them impossible?

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    One purpose of the council was to resolve disagreements arising from within the Church of Alexandria over the nature of Jesus in relationship to God the Father; in particular, whether Jesus was the literal son of God or was he a figurative son, like the other "Sons of God" in the Bible. St. Alexander of Alexandria and Athanasius claimed to take the first position; the popular presbyter Arius, from whom the term Arianism comes, is said to have taken the second. The council decided against the Arians overwhelmingly (of the estimated 250–318 attendees, all but two voted against Arius.[9])
    No lie buddy.

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    Look up padre pio as one such miracle worker. Their are but you wouldnt know because that isn't something that matters to you
    I went to his little wonderland not long ago. Why is it if I say I saw my friend Greg in my head and he told me to preach in the middle of the street that I am insane but If I say God told me to it is totally believable?

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    The people in.Nicea did not write the scripture. In scripture Jesus himself says he is measiah and the son of God
    Jesus did not write anything people wrote about him many years after his death. Ever play the game Chinese whispers? Read the quote I gave. The voted on whether he was son of God or not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)