Terrorism (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Seven said:
Again, playing with emotions, yet no argument. Your uncle had nothing to do with this and you shouldn't have brought him up. You might get anywhere with that tactic because people will be scared and sorry for your uncle and will therefore take on a more vulnerable positon. I, however, won't let blatantly patriotic and biased comments filled with ignorance go by, simply because you mention the fact your uncle had 7 pieces of shrapnel in his body.
the argument is we gave our blood to help Europe rid themselves of Nazi Germany

not looking for sympathy, just telling you how it is

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Nothing wrong with the post you quoted there, Mikhail. There is hardly a difference between the two. You could argue the US aren't doing it on such a scale, but saying there IS a difference between slaughtering Jews and Arabs just sounds wrong :D.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Vinman said:
the argument is we gave our blood to help Europe rid themselves of Nazi Germany

not looking for sympathy, just telling you how it is
I seem to recollect you only stepped in after you were attacked yourself. Or am I wrong?

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
Seven said:
You could accept A-bombs as a weapon I guess. But were they really necessary in Japan? That's pretty doubtful. And using A-bombs while they're not the last thing you can resort to isn't acceptable.
ok, General, what would you have done ???

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Seven said:
You could accept A-bombs as a weapon I guess. But were they really necessary in Japan? That's pretty doubtful. And using A-bombs while they're not the last thing you can resort to isn't acceptable.
Certainly true today. It's not quite as clear-cut back then. These were relatively small bombs by modern standards. They killed far less people than conventional bombs had in Tokyo, as was mentioned earlier. Still doesn't make them right, but weighed against the lives of millions of young soldiers, I think they could easily have been seen as the far lesser of two evils. Again, I'm not saying that it was correct, just understandable.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Vinman said:
get your history straight, we were attacked by JAPAN !!!

we fought Japan in the Pacific, and sent troops to Europe
Doesn't it look like I got my history straight then? For as far as I remember Japan was with Germany. Which makes Germany an enemy of the US.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Vinman said:
get your history straight, we were attacked by JAPAN !!!

we fought Japan in the Pacific, and sent troops to Europe
Because Hitler declared war with Japan.

EDIT: on the US along with Japan's declaration - sorry for being so unclear.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
mikhail said:
Certainly true today. It's not quite as clear-cut back then. These were relatively small bombs by modern standards. They killed far less people than conventional bombs had in Tokyo, as was mentioned earlier. Still doesn't make them right, but weighed against the lives of millions of young soldiers, I think they could easily have been seen as the far lesser of two evils. Again, I'm not saying that it was correct, just understandable.
TBH I don't know enough about the situation back then just yet. I've seen several documentaries saying there were better options though. Since I'm studying history at university, I'm sure I'll be more educated about the subject in the future.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Vinman said:
We're not Belgium, if we are attacked, we will fight back
You never heard of Ieper then? You really haven't got the slightest clue what Belgium stands for and what it has done in the past, have you? And why the nationalistic remark if I may ask? Did you just run away from an argument?

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Vinman said:
Paul, we were needed...England had its hands full, with Germany on its doorstep, and France was in complete surrender...so our help was needed

I'm not saying we won the war, it was the Allies who won the war, but we were needed
It wasnt needed... no recognised historian will tell you that america was needed... Its jus not true...

Americas help was welcomed and europe was thankful for assistance which sped up the ending of the war... but thats it

You also forget how many times various allies asked america for help and were refused point blank... " its not our war"

Not untill its own people suffered were america willing to help... and even then, only because to take their revenge they had no choice but to take up full involvement

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
mikhail said:
Because Hitler declared war with Japan.

EDIT: on the US along with Japan's declaration - sorry for being so unclear.
Exactly, Vinni. Jeez, WWII.. you should really know this stuff.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Seven said:
TBH I don't know enough about the situation back then just yet. I've seen several documentaries saying there were better options though. Since I'm studying history at university, I'm sure I'll be more educated about the subject in the future.
Always difficult to sort fact from opinion in documentaries - it tends to all get put forward as fact. Good luck with your studies - I really enjoyed history when I was younger. I wish I could ahve studied it at third level too. Still, such is life.

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
Shadowfax said:
It wasnt needed... no recognised historian will tell you that america was needed... Its jus not true...

Americas help was welcomed and europe was thankful for assistance which sped up the ending of the war... but thats it

You also forget how many times various allies asked america for help and were refused point blank... " its not our war"

Not untill its own people suffered were america willing to help... and even then, only because to take their revenge they had no choice but to take up full involvement
One of my best friends is a teacher...a WWII expert..and I hear way too much about it from him

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Vinman said:
ok, General, what would you have done ???
Personally, I would have done exactly as america did... The implications of these things were not clear at that point,,, it was a different world then anyway... What was acceptable then may not be today, but that isnt the issue or does it make it wrong

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Seven said:
You never heard of Ieper then? You really haven't got the slightest clue what Belgium stands for and what it has done in the past, have you? And why the nationalistic remark if I may ask? Did you just run away from an argument?
Ieper? Is that another spelling of Yprés? (Pronounced about the same)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)