Tactics and Formations (13 Viewers)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Not necessarily. I'm sure Isla can be deployed in an advanced role :stuckup:

We've deployed Asamoah as a LWB and Marrone in central defense (i.e. not in their natural positions), so I don't see a problem with trying out Isla further up front in a 4-3-3 if we ever choose to go back to it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I remember I once saw a statistic that showed how much lower the ball is in possession in Italian football is compared to the other big 5 leagues, and that is mostly due to moaning and time wasting on the pitch, players having to kick the ball out just because one guy is having a moment.. the problem is that Italian footballers think they are smart, that they are conserving energy on the long run, which was the case 10 years ago, it was a smart move, but other leagues have more energy storage, when you conserve all the time your storage becomes smaller, thats why when european matches go into extra time you will not see the italian team capable of hanging on, that is, if they are even able to take it that far to begin with, eventually they will crumble and they will give in. That is why Italians need to, like you said, raise their intensity levels, before start acting smart and resort to cheeky measures to piss off opponents and win the game with the least effort. Fucking modernize for god sake!
Sheer nonsense.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/oct/26/chelsea-manchester-united-wings

Agree with various bits of that article.

I don't like how few players try to beat their man on the outside these days and I don't like just how similar so many creative forwards are nowadays in their style of play.

I guess one saving grace of the 3-5-2 is that it does at least involve having wide players who are focused on going on the outside, rather than relentless looking inside.

Aberdeen have the balance right at the moment, by playing 4-3-3, with the two wide players being one winger - who wants to beat his man on the outside - and a pacy SS on the other side, who looks to move inside and get close to the CF to make sure he isn't isolated.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I dispute their Serie A figures.

What formation, for instance, do they think Lazio have been playing?

I'd say they have played 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 every time I've seen them play this season.

That table only shows a total of 7 games for those two systems.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/oct/26/chelsea-manchester-united-wings

Agree with various bits of that article.

I don't like how few players try to beat their man on the outside these days and I don't like just how similar so many creative forwards are nowadays in their style of play.

I guess one saving grace of the 3-5-2 is that it does at least involve having wide players who are focused on going on the outside, rather than relentless looking inside.

Aberdeen have the balance right at the moment, by playing 4-3-3, with the two wide players being one winger - who wants to beat his man on the outside - and a pacy SS on the other side, who looks to move inside and get close to the CF to make sure he isn't isolated.
one dutch commentary said a few years ago how bad players now a days are unable to beat their man and to cross a decent ball. I have to admit that he is right. It is unacceptable that players who play for juve or any other club in europe and they can't even put one good cross a game. :shifty:

4-3-3 is a great system to play such a system, but many managers now a day put players who are left at the rightwinger place so they can cut in and get danger. etc.

when juve played 4-3-3 last year vucinic barely crossed the ball to matri, Pepe did that as only. now we play 3-5-2 and you see more crosses coming but not from the backline (which in my eyes are the most dangerous. Crosses from around the 16m box are not that hard to defend cos as a defender you see the ball coming right at you.

Klovn

#MakeTuzGreatAgain
Jul 28, 2011
one dutch commentary said a few years ago how bad players now a days are unable to beat their man and to cross a decent ball. I have to admit that he is right. It is unacceptable that players who play for juve or any other club in europe and they can't even put one good cross a game. :shifty:

4-3-3 is a great system to play such a system, but many managers now a day put players who are left at the rightwinger place so they can cut in and get danger. etc.

when juve played 4-3-3 last year vucinic barely crossed the ball to matri, Pepe did that as only. now we play 3-5-2 and you see more crosses coming but not from the backline (which in my eyes are the most dangerous. Crosses from around the 16m box are not that hard to defend cos as a defender you see the ball coming right at you.

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012
4-3-3 really isn't optimal for playing a crossing game. At least not a traditional crossing game. The lone forward will get isolated with two centre backs. It probably only works if you've got a heading threat making runs from midfield OFTEN.

4-3-3 with inside forwards works because the cut in from width with a fullback overlapping coupled with the CF running the cross can pull a 4 man defense laterally big time and their defenders have to be totally on the ball and decently fast.

Juventino[RUS]

Mar 9, 2006
4-3-3 really isn't optimal for playing a crossing game. At least not a traditional crossing game. The lone forward will get isolated with two centre backs. It probably only works if you've got a heading threat making runs from midfield OFTEN.

4-3-3 with inside forwards works because the cut in from width with a fullback overlapping coupled with the CF running the cross can pull a 4 man defense laterally big time and their defenders have to be totally on the ball and decently fast.
433 have nothing with crossing game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)