Tactics and Formations (25 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Agreed.

Short corners should be an occasional thing when the opportunity presents itself, but the standard thing should be to get the ball into a decent area for people to go and attack it.
Think Juve could do with man-marking a bit more at the back.

The zonal system, at the moment, is leading to all the CBs looking to each other and none of them really taking responsibilty to deal with a situation.

Man-marking makes things much clearer as to who is responsible for what.

Get the right and left CBs marking, even if it drags them out of position a little, and get the central CB playing more like a sweeper.
:agree:

Buy on AliExpress.com

deggen10

Jul 27, 2011
"Get the right and left CBs marking, even if it drags them out of position a little, and get the central CB playing more like a sweeper."
Or we could just bring Asa in as a DM and drop a CB.

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012
"Get the right and left CBs marking, even if it drags them out of position a little, and get the central CB playing more like a sweeper."
Or we could just bring Asa in as a DM and drop a CB.
Which would make it a 2-6-2? Or 4-2-2-2? Or 4-1-3-2? Sounds like you'll have no width and Asa and Pirlo running into each other. Besides, Asamoah is wasted at DM.

I think 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 will do nicely as our two formations as long as we maintain the ability to switch during a game. I certainly think the 4-3-3 works better against teams that park the bus. Our big problem, as someone already mentioned, is our lack of a good LB.

There are two issues with our 3-5-2 at the moment. 1. Our only good and natural WB is Isla and he's not playing. Lichtsteiner is a fullback, Caceres a cross between a fullback and centreback, De Cegile is decidedly average and Asamoah is much, much better at LCM. 2. Our forward mix is unbalanced. When we play without Matri we basically have 2 SSs that we try to play onto like targetmen. One of them a midget, the other one lazy, the third adverse to scoring normal goals. The two other strikers that could balance the attack are a decidedly non-clinical poacher and a (supposedly) fat primadonna.

We also have two issues with a 4-3-3. 1. With Pepe out we haven't got a proper RWF. Isla MIGHT be able to fill that role and would basically play like Pepe there but he's not playing anyway. 2. Matri has issues with his first touch which is kinda bad when leading the trident. The player most naturally suited to that role is Bendtner (eheheheheheheheh) but he's out of shape, an idiot and likes to drift too much.

I'm a huge fan of having different types in the attack. As such, I believe one of Matri or Bendtner USUALLY has to play - at least when we have obvious issues opening up defenses. Sometimes, fielding our two best strikers in Vuci and Gio might work, but well organised defenses will see that coming a mile away and we're forced to rely on a piece of individual brilliance or luck. That just won't do.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
I remember I once saw a statistic that showed how much lower the ball is in possession in Italian football is compared to the other big 5 leagues, and that is mostly due to moaning and time wasting on the pitch, players having to kick the ball out just because one guy is having a moment.. the problem is that Italian footballers think they are smart, that they are conserving energy on the long run, which was the case 10 years ago, it was a smart move, but other leagues have more energy storage, when you conserve all the time your storage becomes smaller, thats why when european matches go into extra time you will not see the italian team capable of hanging on, that is, if they are even able to take it that far to begin with, eventually they will crumble and they will give in. That is why Italians need to, like you said, raise their intensity levels, before start acting smart and resort to cheeky measures to piss off opponents and win the game with the least effort. Fucking modernize for god sake!
copied from bilan forum

you see I'm also worried about our players, they already looked tired! and I can't help but wonder, why these epl, la liga, and german teams (I'm of course mainly talking about their top teams that also play in europe) still look way fitter and can still play with high intensity and we already looked slowing down a lot?

wtf happened? what is the difference? is it something like the one I quoted? or training method? climate condition? what? it's shocking to see our players looked very tired at this stage of season :mad:

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Id like some proof dor that theory. Name one example in a european match, where an italian side wasnt able to hang on in extra time due to fatigue.

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
copied from bilan forum

you see I'm also worried about our players, they already looked tired! and I can't help but wonder, why these epl, la liga, and german teams (I'm of course mainly talking about their top teams that also play in europe) still look way fitter and can still play with high intensity and we already looked slowing down a lot?

wtf happened? what is the difference? is it something like the one I quoted? or training method? climate condition? what? it's shocking to see our players looked very tired at this stage of season :mad:

i think there is several reasons why some of our players looks tired now. Italy played many matches and had a long euro, meaning less time to rest and train with the team before the season started. also our managment and players are not used to play in cl, and we have played too many matches the last couple of weeks. we have played some difficult teams in this period (fiorentina and roma :p) and its a gamle to rest key players in thoses kind of matches. its would be crazy if marchisio, vidal and lichtsteiner where not tired after all these matches, and all the running they do. They just need rest, and they will be back to normal.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I hope so too. We need to be more aggressive in our play which should help us finish off our opponents earlier and concede less goals. We have lungs to run, so intensity shouldn't be our problem.

Jul 20, 2012
Which would make it a 2-6-2? Or 4-2-2-2? Or 4-1-3-2? Sounds like you'll have no width and Asa and Pirlo running into each other. Besides, Asamoah is wasted at DM.

I think 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 will do nicely as our two formations as long as we maintain the ability to switch during a game. I certainly think the 4-3-3 works better against teams that park the bus. Our big problem, as someone already mentioned, is our lack of a good LB.

There are two issues with our 3-5-2 at the moment. 1. Our only good and natural WB is Isla and he's not playing. Lichtsteiner is a fullback, Caceres a cross between a fullback and centreback, De Cegile is decidedly average and Asamoah is much, much better at LCM. 2. Our forward mix is unbalanced. When we play without Matri we basically have 2 SSs that we try to play onto like targetmen. One of them a midget, the other one lazy, the third adverse to scoring normal goals. The two other strikers that could balance the attack are a decidedly non-clinical poacher and a (supposedly) fat primadonna.

We also have two issues with a 4-3-3. 1. With Pepe out we haven't got a proper RWF. Isla MIGHT be able to fill that role and would basically play like Pepe there but he's not playing anyway. 2. Matri has issues with his first touch which is kinda bad when leading the trident. The player most naturally suited to that role is Bendtner (eheheheheheheheh) but he's out of shape, an idiot and likes to drift too much.

I'm a huge fan of having different types in the attack. As such, I believe one of Matri or Bendtner USUALLY has to play - at least when we have obvious issues opening up defenses. Sometimes, fielding our two best strikers in Vuci and Gio might work, but well organised defenses will see that coming a mile away and we're forced to rely on a piece of individual brilliance or luck. That just won't do.
I totally agree, but Matri has preformed the best when playing in a 4-3-3, which is why i think he would preform better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)