Tactics and Formations (5 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Aside from the shape of the team, I'd like to know why Juve's midfielders aren't making the number of runs into the box they have in the last couple of seasons.

The emphasis seems to have shifted onto Tevez at trequartista and onto the wing backs.

Juve seem to be trying to score without their greatest attacking weapon of the last two years.

- - - Updated - - -

And, again ignoring the shape, I'd still like to see Juve develop a plan to draw the opposition out and into a proper game.

Milan have tended to do it well under Allegri, whether it's by accident or design.

Even at home they frequently put absolutely no pressure on the ball until the opposition is well into their half.

This creates space behind the opposition defence and also gives the opposition the confidence to try and commit players beyond the ball and attack.

It means Milan actually get to counter-attack at times at home, even against shit teams, which is just not something you ever see from Juve.

It's a long-standing belief of mine, though, that aiming to utterly dominate possession and territory (as Juve usually do) can be counterproductive.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Aside from the shape of the team, I'd like to know why Juve's midfielders aren't making the number of runs into the box they have in the last couple of seasons.

The emphasis seems to have shifted onto Tevez at trequartista and onto the wing backs.

Juve seem to be trying to score without their greatest attacking weapon of the last two years.
It's because Marchisio is out of form. Vidal was never that good at it imo, his best offensive plays come around the edge of the box. Marchisio must have been one of the best players in the world at making those runs but ever since he went quiet he stopped making them. His role might have been changed though, as shown by how many goals Vidal scored last season.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Marchisio's role did change last season.

And I don't get the idea that Vidal isn't good at making runs into the box.

I'm not even that I'm suggesting the run should be a serious effort to receive the ball.

There are situations where Tevez gets the ball in a typical central position about 30 yards out and no-one is moving except the wing backs.

The midfield runner doesn't have to be to get the ball - just run, because it might draw the attention of a defender or two and give Tevez the space to be more effective.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007

I'm not even that I'm suggesting the run should be a serious effort to receive the ball.

There are situations where Tevez gets the ball in a typical central position about 30 yards out and no-one is moving except the wing backs.

The midfield runner doesn't have to be to get the ball - just run, because it might draw the attention of a defender or two and give Tevez the space to be more effective.
wish Asamoah made runs behind defenders towards goal like Lichsteiner does sometimes, instead of waiting for the ball in wide positions; would have been much safer than a midfielder making those runs too. diagonal runs are usually more effectively and hard to pick too.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I guess I can agree there, it is quite strange that our MF is generally so passive in offense.
The absolute worst ability of our team, is off the ball movement. We are quite simply horrible and now we got tevez who is very good at it, him and pirlo are really putting a massive contrast against the rest of the team

PARMA

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and pepe

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008

And I don't get the idea that Vidal isn't good at making runs into the box.

I think we're still making runs, not as much as last year though. I think there's a few reasons. Teams are really taking the park the bus to a new level this year. They're trying for 0-0s.

I think Pirlo is getting man marked more often this year so our CMs are actually left with much more of the ball and when they have the ball they can't make runs. They're usually setting up on the corner of the box and playing the ball with our wingbacks while Pirlo is marked out. They still make some runs when Bonucci has possession I've noticed.

I also think we're trying to keep the box uncongested to a certain degree so we can play into Tevez's feet more often.

Or we could just be more conservative overall which I wouldn't disregard as a reason either.

Jul 20, 2012
The thing about our tactics and our game is that with pirlo and tevez people mark both. When they mark pirlo our cbs are forced to push forward and we lose one our cbs. And for tevez he drops so deep into thr midfield and i know thats part of his game but when he is dropping so deep we basically have only 1 forward near the penalty area and one of vidal,pogba or marchisio have to stay back and cover the area which the cbs have created when they push forward. So not only is pirlo mArked but we have only 1 forward near the penalty area and our cms cant even make the runs and instead have to track back. This is why a 4-3-3 would help us alot

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
4-2-3-1

:sergio: the pepe, motivation and stamina argument is the dumbest excuse from a coach and fans ever.
Back then we lacked WC striker to finish off some of the moves we created that night. One of my favorite games post calciopolli. Unfortunately we haven't been playing like that for a while.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
The things we done to Milan that night :touched: One of the best performances from our team in years.
that was a great game. dem marchisio goals :touched:

I think conte and all the players should sit down together and watch the napoli 3-3 juve and chelsea 2-2 juve games, to remind them what grinta is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)