Türkiye (15 Viewers)

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
15,000 teachers got fired, including every university dean in Turkey.

In addition to 21,000 teachers in private establishments who got their licences suspended.

Not a big surprise really
The fact that all this is happening only a couple of days after the "coup" itself unfolded strengthens the argument that this has been indeed planned and shortlisted quite a while back.

Just when Turks thought they were having it bad.

Jul 2, 2006
Let me repeat my question: you believe Jews and Masons are involved in a global conspiracy?
You know why i didn't respond in first time you asked as you know the answer of this question.

The Christian world was a shithole during the middle ages and so was the Islamic world, meaning they were about equal. After that the Renaissance and the Enlightenment happened in Europe and in the Islamic world... nothing, it remains a shithole to this day. That's why they consider the medieval times a glorious era.
Nope, it is a cycle. Your shithole was our golden age. Now it is your golden age but fading and it cannot be stopped.

The fact that all this is happening only a couple of days after the "coup" itself unfolded strengthens the argument that this has been indeed planned and shortlisted quite a while back.

Just when Turks thought they were having it bad.
You solved a great mystery.

Those people were already known and it was about to happen, they have been forced to play their last card earlier in order to prevent this happening. Is it really too hard to understand?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Tuz doesn't believe on perma bans.

You do whatever you want, get banned for a month, come back & repeat.
Turk is sort of funny though. The only one who is truly toxic and I can think of right now is Rus. That man has serious mental health issues.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The Christian world was a shithole during the middle ages and so was the Islamic world, meaning they were about equal. After that the Renaissance and the Enlightenment happened in Europe and in the Islamic world... nothing, it remains a shithole to this day. That's why they consider the medieval times a glorious era.
Someone needs to do a bit more reading on the middle ages.

Seven was just mirroring juliano, trying to make him the victim of what he perpetrated i.e offending others by insulting what is dear to them, i know for sure Seven doesn't have a serious opinion on bulgaria one way or the other
Ya, I do the same with that Italian guy, Valerio. Maddy was right when he said, its laughable when Southern and Eastern Europeans are the biggest xenephobes that look down at the rest of the world as uncivilized, as if they are the model of western civilization, when really they don't compare to their Northern European counterparts and should be looked down on themselves going by their logic.

- - - Updated - - -

and on the topic of Turkey. This purge on academics now is a step too far; tens of thousands of academics being asked to resign, having their licenses revoked, etc? I'm very disappointed at Erdogan as someone who had supported him for a long time. I really do believe in limited terms, IMO there is no doubt that for a long time Erdogan has been a force for good in Turkey, but in recent years, its becoming more apparent that he is more interested in consolidating his power, than he is in preserving his country's democracy. Which is sad because Turkey is one of the few muslim majority countries that are a democracy, and I really don't want that to change.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Ya, I do the same with that Italian guy, Valerio. Maddy was right when he said, its laughable when Southern and Eastern Europeans are the biggest xenephobes that look down at the rest of the world as uncivilized, as if they are the model of western civilization, when really they don't compare to their Northern European counterparts and should be looked down on themselves going by their logic.

- - - Updated - - -

and on the topic of Turkey. This purge on academics now is a step too far; tens of thousands of academics being asked to resign, having their licenses revoked, etc? I'm very disappointed at Erdogan as someone who had supported him for a long time. I really do believe in limited terms, IMO there is no doubt that for a long time Erdogan has been a force for good in Turkey, but in recent years, its becoming more apparent that he is more interested in consolidating his power, than he is in preserving his country's democracy. Which is sad because Turkey is one of the few muslim majority countries that are a democracy, and I really don't want that to change.

Turkey's image in the world has been severely damaged over the past few years too. I remember I went to Istanbul in 2005 (absolutely loved the city) and people thought of it as Rome or Paris. Basically just a big city you could spend 4 or 5 great days in. When people mention Istanbul now, they get asked if it's safe. In 2005 Turkey was seen as a modern state, now people think of it as a banana republic.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Turkey's image in the world has been severely damaged over the past few years too. I remember I went to Istanbul in 2005 (absolutely loved the city) and people thought of it as Rome or Paris. Basically just a big city you could spend 4 or 5 great days in. When people mention Istanbul now, they get asked if it's safe. In 2005 Turkey was seen as a modern state, now people think of it as a banana republic.
To be honest, I still think he deserves a lot of credit for how he turned things around in Turkey. I personally have no doubts about his competence and how important he was to Turkey's economic revival especially. But in the past few years, he's become more preoccupied with consolidating his power. I think elements within the AKP party recognize that too; it was very telling when Davutoglo resigned as Prime Minister. He has been overstepping his authority as President too much IMO. IMO after completing his terms as Prime Minister, he should have left the center stage and given a chance to others. Power really does corrupt, and he is no exception.

I really do fear for Turkey's future, this purge has gone a bit too far. The numbers of those arrested are really alarming. Those who participated in the coup should be prosecuted no doubt at all. But when you look at the huge number of people being arrested, and the huge number of academics especially that are being suspended and having their licenses revoked, it is going way too far.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Seven was just mirroring juliano, trying to make him the victim of what he perpetrated i.e offending others by insulting what is dear to them, i know for sure Seven doesn't have a serious opinion on bulgaria one way or the other
I only offended theocratic dictatorships. I am glad you finally admit to everyone and to yourself that they are dear to you. And by agreeing with you, so does Seven.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I could be wrong, but weren't you the guy who was defending Qatar in the World Cup thread against all the human right violation charges, and claimed it was a nice place to live?

You have passed the point where you have compromised yourself so much that nobody should even listen to you.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I only offended theocratic dictatorships. I am glad you finally admit to everyone and to yourself that they are dear to you. And by agreeing with you, so does Seven.

- - - Updated - - -

I could be wrong, but weren't you the guy who was defending Qatar in the World Cup thread against all the human right violation charges, and claimed it was a nice place to live?

You have passed the point where you have compromised yourself so much that nobody should even listen to you.
That's a massive misrepresentation of what I said about Qatar.

I never defended the human rights violations, especially the violation of labor rights in Qatar. That is never justifiable, and rightfully there is global pressure on them to significantly improve the conditions of the huge number of workers who work in low end jobs, especially construction.

I said it was a nice place to live and work. Which while being a subjective judgment, I would point out to the huge percentage of expatriate population, many of them highly educated individuals who could live and work anywhere, and choose to do so in Qatar. Maybe its not your cup of tea, but it's a country that is very attractive to people in general.

You might say, how is it a nice place to live if there is blatant human rights violations happening there? IMO that's a hypocritical argument, because where do you draw the line? Is the United States not a nice place to live and work? Look at all the carnage they've caused in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Your beloved Israel, I'm sure you consider it a country that could be attractive for people to live and work there, yet I'm sure even you can't deny their atrocities in places like Gaza, irrespective of whether you think Palestinians too are at fault.

My point is; just because I say that Qatar is a country that can be considered a nice place, does not mean that I condone everything that they do.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That's a massive misrepresentation of what I said about Qatar.

I never defended the human rights violations, especially the violation of labor rights in Qatar. That is never justifiable, and rightfully there is global pressure on them to significantly improve the conditions of the huge number of workers who work in low end jobs, especially construction.

I said it was a nice place to live and work. Which while being a subjective judgment, I would point out to the huge percentage of expatriate population, many of them highly educated individuals who could live and work anywhere, and choose to do so in Qatar. Maybe its not your cup of tea, but it's a country that is very attractive to people in general.

You might say, how is it a nice place to live if there is blatant human rights violations happening there? IMO that's a hypocritical argument, because where do you draw the line? Is the United States not a nice place to live and work? Look at all the carnage they've caused in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Your beloved Israel, I'm sure you consider it a country that could be attractive for people to live and work there, yet I'm sure even you can't deny their atrocities in places like Gaza, irrespective of whether you think Palestinians too are at fault.

My point is; just because I say that Qatar is a country that can be considered a nice place, does not mean that I condone everything that they do.
Qatar is an abomination, Fred. There are so many things wrong with that place I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure that it can be a nice place to work for highly skilled western workers (and even then the stories some of them tell when they 'escape' Qatar do not paint a rosy picture), but the issues are too deep and too big to look past. I honestly think you'd do yourself a massive favour if you'd just concede this.

Oh, and just for the record, I think most western Europeans would never ever consider a move to Israel. It might be attractive to Juliano13, but the overwhelming majority of Europeans would avoid it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Qatar is an abomination, Fred. There are so many things wrong with that place I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure that it can be a nice place to work for highly skilled western workers (and even then the stories some of them tell when they 'escape' Qatar do not paint a rosy picture), but the issues are too deep and too big to look past. I honestly think you'd do yourself a massive favour if you'd just concede this.

Oh, and just for the record, I think most western Europeans would never ever consider a move to Israel. It might be attractive to Juliano13, but the overwhelming majority of Europeans would avoid it.

I'm not saying you should look past the issues. I'm just saying that for the majority of people, it doesn't seem to stop them from being attracted to the place. Which is not surprising, in general for middle class people, it is a place with tax free salaries, it has international schools, it's extremely safe, and it has most of the things expatriate workers look for. Does that mean all those people condone some of the violations that happen there? Of course not, just like not everyone living in Israel condones Israel's violations, not everyone living in the US condones their host country's torture centers all over the world and their invasion of third world countries, and not everyone living in China, Malaysia and Thailand condone the practice of sweatshops and child labour.

I also don't understand what you mean by what is highlighted in italic; it is a good place to work for people of all kinds of nationalities. Also the horror stories you refer to(I believe you're referring to those involving westerners here), are few and far between, you remind me of people here who think that muslims in the West get harassed all the time because of the stories they read in the papers, when of course even those incidents in the West are few and far between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)