Türkiye (2 Viewers)

Jul 2, 2006
Third Bosphorus bridge to be called 'Yavuz Sultan Selim'

The $3 billion new bridge to be built over Istanbul’s Bosphorus will be named after Yavuz Sultan Selim, one of the prominent and notorious sultans in Ottoman history.

The sultan, known as Selim the Grim in English, was famous for his conquests in the eastern world, and Turkey’s contemporary border with what is now Iran was determined following the 1514 Battle of Çaldıran against Şah İsmail of the Safavids.

The 59-meter-wide bridge – the widest in the world – will be the third one to connect the Asian and European sides of Istanbul.

The name of the second bridge over the Bosphorus is named after another sultan, Fatih Sultan Mehmet (Mehmed the Conqueror), who conquered the city from the Byzantines on May 29, 1453. Sultan Yavuz was Mehmed’s grandson. The second bridge was built in 1988.

Groundbreaking ceremony

A groundbreaking ceremony for Istanbul’s controversial third bridge was held today, on the 560th anniversary of Istanbul’s conquest by the Ottomans, with the attendance of Turkey’s President Abdullah Gül and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The construction of Istanbul’s third bridge on the Bosporus was tendered for last year as part of the north Marmara motorway project’s Odayeri-Paşaköy section. The tender was then awarded to a consortium consisting of the Turkish IC İçtaş and the Italian Astaldi that submitted the bid with the shortest term of construction and operation, 10 years two months and 20 days.

The bridge is to be constructed under a build-operate-transfer model, in which private companies build the bridge and will have the right to collect tolls from vehicles using the bridge for a period of time before handing the bridge over to the state.

The consortium is expected to complete the construction of the bridge in 36 months, at a total cost of about $4.5 billion, after the contract is signed. “The bridge should be ready for use by the end of 2015,” Turkish Transportation Minister Binali Yıldırım had said earlier.

According to the Turkish Transport Ministry, the new six-lane bridge, which is expected to be about 1.3 km in length, will be built to the north of the two existing ones, between the Garipçe district on the European side and the Poyrazköy district on the Asian side. Unlike the two existing bridges, which only carry road vehicles, the new bridge will also include rail tracks.

Seven Turkish banks had agreed on supplying a total of $2.4 billion for 10 years of funding, İbrahim Çeçen, chairman of the IC İçtaş company that was part of the winning consortium, announced on May 2013.

Drilling on the construction of the bridge is ongoing right now. General Directorate of Highways (KGM) General Manager Mehmet Cahit Turhan said this week that the third bridge on the Bosporus would be much stronger than the existing two bridges. “The consortium agreed Korean Hyundai and SK to build its lateral towers, aprons and suspension cables. Now the Koreans are at work,” added Turhan.

Many have expressed worries that the construction of the third bridge will lead to the destruction of Istanbul's remaining green areas near the Black Sea coast while creating new traffic headaches.

May/29/2013 ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News

Buy on AliExpress.com

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
When i was in Istanbul those traffic jams to get to the other side of Bosphorus were horrendous. Third bridge will help but i don't think it will eliminate the problem.
I met a girl that that lived on the european side and her university was on the asian side, she had to take a bus to get there and it was like 3h one way :shocked:

Monco

C.R.E.A.M
Mar 27, 2013
This is just $#@!ed up.

That guy isn't the smartest man I have ever seen, but nonetheless, such things are intolerable.

[video=vimeo;67432788]http://vimeo.com/67432788[/video]

More stuff from Turkey. Pretty much sums everything up very nicely - shit is getting out of hand.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
That guy isn't the smartest man I have ever seen, but nonetheless, such things are intolerable.

More stuff from Turkey. Pretty much sums everything up very nicely - shit is getting out of hand.
this looks exactly like what happens here in down town Cairo ( minus no trash and stones), only difference miraculously we have people who get shot dead ( refer to peaceful protest in front of ministry of interior affairs dec,2011 and onwards) . i read they have eye injuries once again a specialty Egyptians have been treated to for the past year.

- - - Updated - - -

this looks exactly like what happens here in down town Cairo ( minus no trash and stones), only difference miraculously we have people who get shot dead ( refer to peaceful protest in front of ministry of interior affairs dec,2011 and onwards) . i read they have eye injuries once again a specialty Egyptians have been treated to for the past year.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Happened recently in my country Bangladesh too, police beating people to death during crowd control, (seen a video with a man dying of head concussion, guilty police murmuring shouldn't have hit him in the head :shocked:) with a few people shot dead. But the majority of the people (pro-government) support it and there is the internet police too. So I try not point bringing it up :/. But Turkey is hoping/trying to integrate into Europe and such behaviour isn't tolerable by European standards.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
people get beat up during crowd control in every single country in the world, as they should if they get rowdy, but the question is how much force do you use and apparently in turkey it was a little too much. Can anyone who is familiar with the issue what the real motives are here, beyond the park destruction.

Jul 2, 2006
people get beat up during crowd control in every single country in the world, as they should if they get rowdy, but the question is how much force do you use and apparently in turkey it was a little too much. Can anyone who is familiar with the issue what the real motives are here, beyond the park destruction.
No apparent reason actually. Classic ''revolution'' bullshit of teenagers who recently watched v for vendetta and ex-commie grandpas aka %0,3 of population.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
The left anarchists have no demands, they just want to attract attention.

Assad is good as gone. Once that happens, region can find much needed stability.
Stability? The fanatics that [ARTICLES]beheaded a Christian and fed his head to the dogs[/ARTICLES]
and butchered an entire Christian village will bring that stability?

Its just another excuse for Russians and Americans to sell more weapons, and to control the GAS of Syrian soil,
but the aftermath, may lead to worsening the situation in the far future, if they install religious fanatics in helm...

Jul 2, 2006
what are their demands? what kind of change do they want that the current political system does not afford them?
Nothing. They want Prime Minister who is elected with %50 of votes in a fair election to resign because they don't like him.

The left anarchists have no demands, they just want to attract attention.
That's true.

Its just another excuse for Russians and Americans to sell more weapons and to control the GAS of Syrian soil, by the aftermath, may lead to worsen the situation in the far future, if they install religious fanatics in helm...
Nobody is gonna installing someone, people want to be freed from minority dictatorship. Syria now is a mess, everbody is killing each other, that doesn't mean new government is gonna slaughter christians.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Really depends on the situation.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
It is indeed a mess and smth certianly must be done for that, the Americans of course will once again choose what will happen and their only criteria would be financial.
It is said that they can easily manipulate some religious fanatics, who can maintain the religious majority and are currently fiercely opposing Asad, because he is not such a religious fanatic, by promising them an eradiciation of the infidels and keep the Gas for themselves...i believe their first step would be to seek rightfull vengheance from Israel and this create chain reactions in the region.

I am not so optimistic about the outcome anyway, its an extremely tough situation.

Jul 1, 2010
Assad is awful but the rebels seem quite bad. One of the rebel leaders even ate the heart of a soldier FFS

What is worse between Assad staying and Sunni theocratic fanatics? I don't know.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Nothing. They want Prime Minister who is elected with %50 of votes in a fair election to resign because they don't like him.

That's true.

Nobody is gonna installing someone, people want to be freed from minority dictatorship. Syria now is a mess, everbody is killing each other, that doesn't mean new government is gonna slaughter christians.

that bolded part is the same shit our crappy president and his gang tells us!! by the way being elected does'nt mean you cant be removed if you dont get the people behind you. yes super morsy got elected but he has ever since went insane and quickly lost the people. including beardies who belong to the salafi camp mind you, these guys where willing to lick his shoe for political gains even if they were thrown at them like bones but they got deceived just like the entire population.

p.s we r much worse off now than we were before the revolution. mind you erdogan had some awesome advice for mubarak, but i guess when the shit is at yr door step you act like a tourist and dont listen to his own advice.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Assad is awful but the rebels seem quite bad. One of the rebel leaders even ate the heart of a soldier FFS

What is worse between Assad staying and Sunni theocratic fanatics? I don't know.
Not defending it in anyway, but that rebel who ate the heart of an ALREADY dead soldier got his wife and daughter raped AND killed by Assad forces.

Assad forces kill and behead children for fun everyday! It's easy to see who's worse.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
that bolded part is the same shit our crappy president and his gang tells us!! by the way being elected does'nt mean you cant be removed if you dont get the people behind you. yes super morsy got elected but he has ever since went insane and quickly lost the people. including beardies who belong to the salafi camp mind you, these guys where willing to lick his shoe for political gains even if they were thrown at them like bones but they got deceived just like the entire population.

p.s we r much worse off now than we were before the revolution. mind you erdogan had some awesome advice for mubarak, but i guess when the shit is at yr door step you act like a tourist and dont listen to his own advice.

what makes you think the situation in Turkey is similar to that of Egypt?

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Not defending it in anyway, but that rebel who ate the heart of an ALREADY dead soldier got his wife and daughter raped AND killed by Assad forces.

Assad forces kill and behead children for fun everyday! It's easy to see who's worse.
I know you r not trying to defend, but the dead has his respect even if he is an evil person. however regarding syria, you need to see the bigger picture not only are the people getting all the crap, come to cairo and you will feel you are in syria literally bec of the refugees who are welcomed here. also when you read the scene in syria, you cant but realize that once the syrian issue clears out with the rebels taking over the entire region is going to get it hard starting with the gulf. these extremist will have to go back to there homes some day?? i,e afghanistan bull shit all over again. just my two cents on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

what makes you think the situation in Turkey is similar to that of Egypt?
they r not similar def Abel, however the similarity is in this if you were to tune to any "religious" channel you will hear that the turkish example is the best thing since sliced bread, the muslim brother hood business tycoon's started flooding our markets with there products. the similarity is how people toke out to the street's, the second similarty abel is the fact the muslim brotherhood are convinced that just bec morsy came via the poll box he cant be removed no matter what, even if people strike, or riot, or even start collecting petitions. erdogan did not break any law's, super morsy raped the law, erdogan did not disrespect or try to interfere with the judges and how they judicial system works, morsy on the hand on the gang well you get the picture. erdogan did not release a washed up constitution like morsy who according to the mb " is egypts erdogan" ( p.s dont ask me how)

from what i understand regarding the turkish issue at hand is the fact that the government is mainly focused on tourism, all the services are directed to this sector.

but once again there is no similarity at all, the only similarity is that according to the ruling party or the salafist parties, turkey represents the ideal islamic project even though religion is not the main driving force ( please forgive me bec i always confuse both, they r a secular nation)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Agreed. No Islamists nor any religion-driven group should be controlling any government.

Though, Assad himself is heavily backed by Hezbollah and Iran, two of the most religious sides in the region. This fucked up Sunni-Shiite war will continue for years to come and a lot of innocent people will suffer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)