Türkiye (6 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Ataturk's biggest mistake was the overthrown of the arabic alphabet and setting the latin alphabet as the national alphabet. In the following years the Arabic and Farsi words which have a crucial impact and effect in Ottoman arts,law and science are banned and meaningless and synthetic Turkish words are created. But this is not the way a language evolve. If you throw the Latin originated words from the western european languages there will be barely a language exists. Another side effect of this situation is the termination of the connection between the modern Turkish people and their past. We can't understand a writing which is written a century ago. This is an enormous cultural loss and lost of the cultural base. In my opinion the finest art in the world from the beginning is the sufi poems that I cannot understand. An Englishman can read and enjoy Shakespeare but I cannot even read the legendary Leila and Majnun story from Fuzuli.
Füzuli is Azeri :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I always thought Laila & Majnun was a South Indian story (S.Asian version of Romeo&Juliet) but I surprised to see it mentioned by Phoibos using the same name. Apparently it originates from some Arab poet.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Not Arab. Azerbaijani (Turkic nonetheless) poet who lived in Iraq. Wrote in Persian and Arabic too, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzuli
Not according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layla_and_Majnun

Here's the part that talks about the Azeri connection:

The Story of Layla and Majnun passed into Azerbaijani literature. The Azerbaijani language adaptation of the story, Dâstân-ı Leylî vü Mecnûn (داستان ليلى و مجنون; "The Epic of Layla and Majnun") was written in the 16th century by Fuzûlî and Hagiri Tabrizi. Fuzûlî's version was borrowed by the renowned Azerbaijani composer Uzeyir Hajibeyov, who used the material to create what became the Middle East's first opera. It premiered in Baku on 25 January 1908. The story had previously been brought to the stage in the late 19th century, when Ahmed Shawqi wrote a poetic play about the tragedy, now considered one of the best in modern Arab poetry. Qays's lines from the play are sometimes confused with his actual poems.
A scene of the poem is depicted on the reverse of the Azerbaijani 100 and 50 manat commemorative coins minted in 1996 for the 500th anniversary of Fuzûlî's life and activities.[9]

-Wiki

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think these are different stories, just same names used for characters. Fuzuli probably was influenced by people's version.

Anyway, who cares, Nizami was geniuser :D

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
If there is no country that applies it then why did you ask us to give you an example from 2011? You contradict yourself.
I just wanted to tell you there is no country that applies Sharia currently, so it is not correct to say that if a random country does stoning, then Sharia ordered them to do so.

MCMV

Jul 22, 2011
Well, I respect your opinion, but I never saw that Turkey has an independent opinion before AKP controlled the government. They were always US puppets before that. Are you ok with having a puppet government for ever?
Are you being sarcastic?

The biggest puppet that US have is AKP. I dont think you follow Turkey very good.

MCMV

Jul 22, 2011
And what is their goal?
Turkey is the only Muslim country in the world that has democracy. Throughout our history, since 1923, we never want to be sided with Arabs. We don't like Arabs. That's why, we have been side with Europe all the time. Their goal is to destroy that and make Turkey like Iran.

Their biggest obstacle to that goal is military. They are trying to destroy that right now.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
You don't like Arabs? :shifty:

Maybe you don't, don't speak for the rest of Turks though, thats a pretty broad statement, and i have Turkish friends here that would strongly oppose what you just said

MCMV

Jul 22, 2011
You don't like Arabs? :shifty:

Maybe you don't, don't speak for the rest of Turks though, thats a pretty broad statement, and i have Turkish friends here that would strongly oppose what you just said
Religious and uneducated ones, do.

Rich and educated people in Turkey don't vote for AKP. AKP get almost all their votes from poor and uneducated people and they are very religious.

It's a fact. If you are rich, educated, you're less likely to be religious. If you are poor and uneducated, you're most likely to be religious.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I wouldn't exactly call them poor and uneducated, they had the money to pay for university here in UAE. One of the most expensive universities too, so there goes your theory. Also, i'd say its advisable to properly understand the simple concept of what constitutes a "fact".

The whole argument wasn't about who is more likely to be religious. Your statement was that Turks don't like Arabs, what has financial capability, education and religiousness have anything to do with that?

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Are you being sarcastic?

The biggest puppet that US have is AKP. I dont think you follow Turkey very good.
:D

So, what were the main events where Turkey made a decision against the will of USA before AKP controlled the country.

MCMV

Jul 22, 2011
I wouldn't exactly call them poor and uneducated, they had the money to pay for university here in UAE. One of the most expensive universities too, so there goes your theory. Also, i'd say its advisable to properly understand the simple concept of what constitutes a "fact".

The whole argument wasn't about who is more likely to be religious. Your statement was that Turks don't like Arabs, what has financial capability, education and religiousness have anything to do with that?
I didn't understand anything from your first paragraph. So let me answer you with the second paragraph.

I know argument wasn't about who's religious or who is not but people who back up AKP are the ones who are religious. If you are religious in Turkey, you're more likely to like Arabs. But majority of the country are not religious and they don't like Arabs.

Why? It's simple.

Why should we side with Arabs? There's not even one developed Arab country. What do we get by on their side?

Second, they did backstab us in World War I by fighting against us with British.

We still didn't forget about that. That's why I don't feel sorry for Palestanians. They betrayed us with British and took that land from us. Now, they even have a bigger problem.

MCMV

Jul 22, 2011

So, what were the main events where Turkey made a decision against the will of USA before AKP controlled the country.
Read, "Clash of Civilizations" by Samuel Huntington.

United States want Turkey to be controlled by religious party, therefore they can strength their relationship with Arabs. They want Turkey to be the leader of Muslim countries. In order to do that, they need to get rid of all people who likes Ataturk. Biggest obstacle is Military.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005

United States want Turkey to be controlled by religious party, therefore they can strength their relationship with Arabs. They want Turkey to be the leader of Muslim countries. In order to do that, they need to get rid of all people who likes Ataturk. Biggest obstacle is Military.
just as well you don't have an infinite supply of oil then:shifty:

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
I didn't understand anything from your first paragraph. So let me answer you with the second paragraph.

I know argument wasn't about who's religious or who is not but people who back up AKP are the ones who are religious. If you are religious in Turkey, you're more likely to like Arabs. But majority of the country are not religious and they don't like Arabs.

Why? It's simple.

Why should we side with Arabs? There's not even one developed Arab country. What do we get by on their side?

Second, they did backstab us in World War I by fighting against us with British.

We still didn't forget about that. That's why I don't feel sorry for Palestanians. They betrayed us with British and took that land from us. Now, they even have a bigger problem.
Who backstabbed whom? Have you read about the massacres that were made by Jamal The Butcher in Damascus and Beirut before the Arab revolution? That criminal had nothing to do with Islam. The only thing that made Arabs live under Turk rule for 4 centuries was the unity of the religion. When the idiots and criminals ruled Turkey in the beginning of the 20th century, Arabs thought again about the feasibility of staying under Turkish rule. When they found that the massacres was going on, they decided to ally with the Evil to protect themselves from being murdered without any justification.

Regarding your stand to Palestinians, let me make it brief to you. The majority of Turks are with Palestinians because they know we have a fair case. Whether you feel backstabbed by us or not, you are free to do so, but in the end of the day, Palestinians lived under Ottoman rule for 400 years. Our grandfathers rebelled against that regime when they found there is no other choice.

So weird thinking!

Jul 2, 2006
Arabs back stabbed us, then we decided to side with out western brothers whom always wanted best for us. So we imported immorality, nudity, alphabet(because Arab one was difficult to learn, that's what they say) to reach their highness.

I am hopeful for new generation. They are more informed about what happened in past and well prepared against kemalist lies.

jussr

Jan 26, 2011
It is sad to see so many people wanting to live in a religious country. By definition freedoms would be limited in such a country, goes against all of my believes.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Arabs back stabbed us, then we decided to side with out western brothers whom always wanted best for us. So we imported immorality, nudity, alphabet(because Arab one was difficult to learn, that's what they say) to reach their highness.

I am hopeful for new generation. They are more informed about what happened in past and well prepared against kemalist lies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)