Syrian civil war (17 Viewers)

zebrettino

Aug 4, 2012
Good job Russia :tup: bombing is a great solution :tup: I hope more countries like Germany join the train
https://twitter.com/IHHen/status/671047246130057216
Certainly contemptible if true and entirely accurate, but IHH isn't exactly your run of the mill NGO:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?PageID=517&NID=61000&NewsCatID=341

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1996_CIA_Report_-_IHH_fragment.jpg

http://standforpeace.org.uk/erdogans-terror-group-the-ihh/

I'm sure other NGOs are watched by the CIA as well, but not for running weapons...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Since the arrival of the S-400, both turki and US have halted their airstrikes.

https://www.rt.com/news/323815-syria-s-400-us-airstrikes/

Since the S-400 is serious overkill for that garbage the turkis call "airforce", they've also deployed Su-34's for air superiority.

https://www.rt.com/news/323992-russia-syria-air-missile/

Only F-22's are capable of taking down S-34's, but they are shot down by the S-400 loooong before they enter effective range against an Su-34, giving russia air superiority in the region

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Btw the Iraqi army have finally begun a big offensive to take back Anbar province. Apparently they're in a good position to take back Ramadi in the next week or so.

zebrettino

Aug 4, 2012
16:10 GMT
Canada begins work to resettle 25,000 Syrians – IOM
Work to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees in Canada has begun, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Tuesday. A total of 10,000 people are due to depart for their new homes by the end of the year, AFP reported. Processing, including security checks, began at a military base in Jordan’s capital, Amman, on Sunday. New Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau campaigned on the plan to resettle 25,000 people displaced by the four-year civil war in Syria. The idea has come under increasing political fire following the attacks in Paris.
Wonder what the security checks are like - I read something about how some politicians want to restrict it to families only, i.e. no single young men, which I disagree with. Glad that the government is fulfilling this promise, even though the number isn't going to be 25,000. Hopefully significantly more will be accepted in 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.rt.com/usa/324135-syria-us-isis-force/

US puts boots on the ground in Syria.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
you don't say anything about Wahhabism, supporting fundamentalists groups and his son's actions.

You're right about salafism but what about the other topics?

What about this

http://www.clarionproject.org/analysis/turkey-tries-cover-arming-al-qaeda
His support for fundamentalist groups, his son's actions etc: Look at my post right above yours, I clearly admit that he has supported those groups, the whole crux of my argument, is that his support for those groups has nothing at all to do with ideology and everything to do with alignment of interests. Exactly like the support of Carter and Reagan for the Mujahideen in Afghanistan(where al Qaeda originated from) , and to illustrate with an example from the middle east, exactly like the support of the secular Baathist regime in Syria of the Islamist Hamas prior to 2011. Do you consider Carter and Reagan to be sympathizers of militant salafist ideology? or Bashar to be a sympathizer of Sunni Islamist militant group linked with the brotherhood*.

*If you're not familiar with Syria's modern history, google Hama events(1982) during his father's time to see why that is as impossible as Reagan being a Jihadist sympathizer.

:tup: but your support for erdogan can't be more than just misplaced romanticism, it makes zero sense
I'd argue that my support for Erdogan makes a lot more sense than your sympathy for Bashar, especially if we put aside politics, and look purely at their economic ideology but let's just agree that we all have our eccentricities :p

- - - Updated - - -

and just to make one thing clear about my views on Erdogan and the AKP party in Turkey, I am mainly impressed by what they've done in Turkey. I'm not much of a fan of their foreign policy, especially when it comes to my country Libya. They've blindly supported one group of the ongoing conflict(namely the Misratans and the "Libyan Dawn" militias) instead of pushing for peace and talks between the two sides of the conflict. Though to be honest, most countries foreign policies are often extremely self serving and cynical.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Wonder what the security checks are like - I read something about how some politicians want to restrict it to families only, i.e. no single young men, which I disagree with. Glad that the government is fulfilling this promise, even though the number isn't going to be 25,000. Hopefully significantly more will be accepted in 2016.
:tup:

Btw, the more I get to know about the screening process of Syrian refugees wishing to enter the US, the more ridiculous any politicians screaming for more thorough screening sound. It's obvious as hell that they just don't want any refugees period; and are only using that argument in order to not having to say that out loud.

- - - Updated - - -

and just to make one thing clear about my views on Erdogan and the AKP party in Turkey, I am mainly impressed by what they've done in Turkey. I'm not much of a fan of their foreign policy, especially when it comes to my country Libya. They've blindly supported one group of the ongoing conflict(namely the Misratans and the "Libyan Dawn" militias) instead of pushing for peace and talks between the two sides of the conflict. Though to be honest, most countries foreign policies are often extremely self serving and cynical.
Like? I mean our press over here is obviously biased, but he comes across as quite the despotic autocrat who's taking Turkey one or two steps back in terms of human rights & democracy. Curious to hear the other side at least.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
- - - Updated - - -

Like? I mean our press over here is obviously biased, but he comes across as quite the despotic autocrat who's taking Turkey one or two steps back in terms of human rights & democracy. Curious to hear the other side at least.
Are they? It's not the media, but I have only seen politicians here suck up to the German regime.

Edit - Ffs :lol: Turk regime*

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Btw, the more I get to know about the screening process of Syrian refugees wishing to enter the US, the more ridiculous any politicians screaming for more thorough screening sound. It's obvious as hell that they just don't want any refugees period; and are only using that argument in order to not having to say that out loud.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant more in terms of what he did with Turkey's economy, and how he gradually moved Turkey away from what I call radical secularism.

As for Turkey taking a step back in terms of human rights and democracy, I don't think that is true in general, overall I would definitely not say that Turkey is less free or less democratic than it used to be before the AKP. The media's bias I imagine would stem mostly from the fact that actions taken by a prime minister who is perceived to be an Islamist would be viewed more negatively than the same actions if they were taken by someone who's perceived as a secularist. That's my interpretation at least.

Although that being said, some of the things the AKP government did, and the way they dealt with protests for example would probably be unacceptable when held against Western standards, and rightfully so, governments should always be held to the highest standards possible, but overall I wouldn't agree that Turkey is worse off as a whole in terms of human rights and democracy than it was prior to 2002 even though you feel the western media would like to paint it that way.

I also think there is a fundamental lack of understanding of the differing Islamist ideologies in western media, it's lazy intellectually to lump all Islamist leaning ideologies under one umbrella. Kao Ray's suggestion that Erdogan's support for radical militant jihadist groups is in any way even remotely linked to ideology is an absolutely preposterous one IMO, yet it's an idea I've seen bandied around in media freely and very commonly.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
His support for fundamentalist groups, his son's actions etc: Look at my post right above yours, I clearly admit that he has supported those groups, the whole crux of my argument, is that his support for those groups has nothing at all to do with ideology and everything to do with alignment of interests. Exactly like the support of Carter and Reagan for the Mujahideen in Afghanistan(where al Qaeda originated from) , and to illustrate with an example from the middle east, exactly like the support of the secular Baathist regime in Syria of the Islamist Hamas prior to 2011. Do you consider Carter and Reagan to be sympathizers of militant salafist ideology? or Bashar to be a sympathizer of Sunni Islamist militant group linked with the brotherhood*.

*If you're not familiar with Syria's modern history, google Hama events(1982) during his father's time to see why that is as impossible as Reagan being a Jihadist sympathizer.

I'd argue that my support for Erdogan makes a lot more sense than your sympathy for Bashar, especially if we put aside politics, and look purely at their economic ideology but let's just agree that we all have our eccentricities :p

- - - Updated - - -

Sympathy? Man don't become that kind of poster

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
@Hængebøffer can we get a Fred related one-liner please?

first i thought i was gonna reply myself, but i didn't know where to start.

...also western media totally messed up my brain with
their biased stories. sorry for being lazy intellectually.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

:agree:

They must be feigning ignorance of the process at this point, and relying on the stupidity of the average joe to believe such nonsense. It's an 18-24 month process, that's ridiculously rigorous and thorough. But American politicians are making it sound like a 6 week process. :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)