Syrian civil war (8 Viewers)

zebrettino

Aug 4, 2012
Watching Labour fall apart under Corbyn is intriguing from a neutral point of view. With virtually no support from his MP's and emphatic support from Labour's constituency, the party is basically fucked for the foreseeable future.
They elected an Old Labour leader, but the party is still full of New Labour Blairite neoliberal shitheads.

In other news, Russia accuses Erdogan and family of being personally involved in the ISIS oil trade:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34982951

Buy on AliExpress.com

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
"According to available information, the highest level of the political leadership of the country, President Erdogan and his family, are involved in this criminal business," Mr Antonov told journalists in Moscow.

"The Turkish leadership has demonstrated extreme cynicism. Look at what they are doing!" he said.

"They have invaded the territory of another country and are brazenly plundering it."

The Russian defence ministry does not usually invite foreign journalists to its media briefings on Syria. But on Wednesday it made an exception.

It had a message it wanted the whole world to hear: that the faces of Turkey's leaders, including President Erdogan, were "smeared with stolen oil".

The defence ministry cited satellite images that it said showed oil tankers travelling from IS-held territory to Turkey. The trucks, it said, travelled to three locations - including refineries - in Turkey and some was then moved on to a third country.
again - not that it think russia is any better, but i LOVE it.
the wannabe sultan deserves this so much. give em hell. :touched:

...as for the "evidence" it might be true,
but since i saw the powell-point presentation years ago...i tend to be
a little skeptic about satellite pictures and pictures in general.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
It's not exactly a ludicrous accusation either. ISIS are making tens of millions of dollars a day from oil sales. Not exactly small time trade. And looking at other nations sharing borders with Iraq and Syria, it's hard to see any other country facilitating the trade (except for Saudi Arabia). Iran, unlike Turkey has no interest in financing ISIS and there's a buffer zone between the Islamic State and the Iranian border with territory still held by the Iraqi army. Same with Israel and to a lesser extent, Jordan. The largest pockets of ISIS territory held along the Iraqi and Syrian borders are to the north.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Can you define "radical secularism" please?
In the case of Turkey, it's taking secularism so far that you ban harmless religious practices of a religion that is practiced by the vast majority of the population.

Thanks for the answer, I really appreciate it. :tup:

On the other hand I completely disagree with your example with Reagan and to some extent about secular Baathist regime in Syria. The reason is the following. It looks like Erdogan is trying to bring more religion in secular life.

http://www.turkeyanalyst.org/publications/turkey-analyst-articles/item/437-the-islamization-of-turkey-erdo%C4%9Fan%E2%80%99s-education-reforms.html

The Islamization of Turkey: Erdoğan’s Education Reforms

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/26/erdogan-launches-sunni-islamist-revival-turkish-schools-292237.html

Erdogan Launches Sunni Islamist Revival in Turkish Schools

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/06/cengiz-produce-religious-generations-erdogan-akp-islamist.html#

Erdogan's reforms meant to educate 'pious generation'

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/03/30/uk-turkey-education-idUKBRE82T12D20120330

Turkey passes school reform law critics view as Islamic

http://www.timesofisrael.com/erdogans-turkey-less-nationalism-more-islam/

Erdogan’s Turkey: Less nationalism, more Islam

Combine that with his attempts to use religious militant groups to annex territories from northwestern Syria is scary. It is obvious that in his view religion has to play a far bigger role than just a foreign policy tool.
No problem mate, it's my pleasure :tup:

Not saying he's not an Islamist, but ISIS is just a foreign policy tool for him, and he is the same to them mind you. Believe me sooner or later, they will turn against each other, because ideologically they are so far apart from each other, and because in the eyes of militant salafists like ISIS, Erodogan is considered a secular infidel, that should be taken by the sword sooner or later.

Most terrorists are educated middle class/upper middle class people like Fred.
How does it feel knowing that you don't have the capability to actually engage in any sort of meaningful debate with me, and that all you can do is throw in a cynical one liner here and there?

- - - Updated - - -

Go back to my posts, you'll see that I said two things:

1. When held against western standards, obviously Turkey hasn't reached that stage of freedom of expression amongst other things.

2. However, that has always been the case, it's just that the media pay more attention to it, now that it's Erdogan. What I said in my posts, is that Turkey did not get worse in freedom of expression/human rights after the AKP, you would have gotten into a lot more trouble prior to 2002, if you did the same with Kemal Ataturk.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
How does it feel knowing that you don't have the capability to actually engage in any sort of meaningful debate with me, and that all you can do is throw in a cynical one liner here and there?

- - - Updated - - -
How does it feel not knowing that you don't have the capability to actually understand an obvious joke? Typical middle class terrorists.

And what you just wrote is fascism. What Erdogan, is doing, is fascism too.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
In the case of Turkey, it's taking secularism so far that you ban harmless religious practices of a religion that is practiced by the vast majority of the population.

No problem mate, it's my pleasure :tup:

Not saying he's not an Islamist, but ISIS is just a foreign policy tool for him, and he is the same to them mind you. Believe me sooner or later, they will turn against each other, because ideologically they are so far apart from each other, and because in the eyes of militant salafists like ISIS, Erodogan is considered a secular infidel, that should be taken by the sword sooner or later.

- - - Updated - - -

Go back to my posts, you'll see that I said two things:

1. When held against western standards, obviously Turkey hasn't reached that stage of freedom of expression amongst other things.

2. However, that has always been the case, it's just that the media pay more attention to it, now that it's Erdogan. What I said in my posts, is that Turkey did not get worse in freedom of expression/human rights after the AKP, you would have gotten into a lot more trouble prior to 2002, if you did the same with Kemal Ataturk.
I respect your optimism :tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Secularism isn't Turkey's problem. The problem is that they pretend to be secular, but are not. And that leads to a schizophrenic society.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But would you characterize them that way even pre AKP?
Well, I think I'd personally characterize them that way ever since 1937, when the constitution was changed. It's a bit weird to go from explicitly stating that Turkey is an islamic country to explicitly stating it is secular. And just saying that you are doesn't make it so imo.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Well, I think I'd personally characterize them that way ever since 1937, when the constitution was changed. It's a bit weird to go from explicitly stating that Turkey is an islamic country to explicitly stating it is secular. And just saying that you are doesn't make it so imo.
True, I agree.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
@Fred

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyyy8TiFz2o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyyy8TiFz2o[/video]
Not surprised at all.

Just like I've said the other day, The Muslim brotherhood ideology is a fascist ideology plain and simple.

They're slowly changing the constitution and laws to their favor. Turkish public need to wake up soon or their country will turn out to be another Nazi Germany .

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Not surprised at all.

Just like I've said the other day, The Muslim brotherhood ideology is a fascist ideology plain and simple.

They're slowly changing the constitution and laws to their favor. Turkish public need to wake up soon or their country will turn out to be another Nazi Germany .
Luckely for us, Russia will save everyone again, and it wont take them 3 weeks instead of 3 years if shit hits the fan, since they got the entire place on lockdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)