Syrian civil war (11 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
RAMI¹⁰;2956483 said:
And for your question, No... he isn't because he is loved as a person and as a president (for the majority of Syrians).
Still, the minority should be allowed to speak their mind, right? But they aren't.

This reminded me of how it was back in the days in Yugoslavia. A leader that was sometimes called a dictator by the west was adored by the huge majority of his people and the people lived a very good life with excellent salary and good jobs. Still, the minority who disagreed with him, as few as they were, were oppressed, tortured, imprisoned, killed and it was impossible to criticize Tito in the media.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Still, the minority should be allowed to speak their mind, right? But they aren't.

This reminded me of how it was back in the days in Yugoslavia. A leader that was sometimes called a dictator by the west was adored by the huge majority of his people and the people lived a very good life with excellent salary and good jobs. Still, the minority who disagreed with him, as few as they were, were oppressed, tortured, imprisoned, killed and it was impossible to criticize Tito in the media.
why do you think that was the case?

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006

They are allowed to speak their mind, but all they do is swearing on the president and constitution. They offer no alternatives. They want the change for the sake of changing :shifty:

What's the difference? :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Its not completely the same thing. People in Syria do not have excellent salaries, not even close, people there are poorly paid, the education system is poor, and there is a lot of poverty. Thats why millions of Syrians live outside of Syria.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Apparently this all started when a group of school children in Daraa were arrested by security services for spray painting "people demand the removal of the regime".

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Its not completely the same thing. People in Syria do not have excellent salaries, not even close, people there are poorly paid, the education system is poor, and there is a lot of poverty. Thats why millions of Syrians live outside of Syria.
100%. And Rami is trying to convince some Arabs around here saying how life standard in Syria is great.

You'll be shocked if I come up with some stats about the Syrian education system and how poor people are paid. But I'll wait for Rami to deny it and then I'll post them.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
100%. And Rami is trying to convince some Arabs around here saying how life standard in Syria is great.

You'll be shocked if I come up with some stats about the Syrian education system and how poor people are paid. But I'll wait for Rami to deny it and then I'll post them.
:lol: where did I say that?!!!
I'm not trying to convince any one, actually I don't care what other Arabs think?
You are the one who is trying to do so!
So, please and really please don't put words in my mouth again...ok?
and please show us your stats about the education system with the source please.
People salaries are too little (I never denied that) like all Arabic countries except the gulf ones...
Did you know how many times citizens got pay rise since Bashar took over?
Your hate towards the regime has gone too far.
Rab, if you don't like my posts, fine but don't undermine me and my opinion.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
"Farouq al-Shara, the Syrian vice-president, says that President Bashar Assad will announce important decisions in the next two days that will "please the Syrian people"

It's like "we were holding some stuff back...some cash, freedoms, shit like that...but we can tell you're pissed so nows as a good time as any." :howler:

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #312
    "Farouq al-Shara, the Syrian vice-president, says that President Bashar Assad will announce important decisions in the next two days that will "please the Syrian people"

It's like "we were holding some stuff back...some cash, freedoms, shit like that...but we can tell you're pissed so nows as a good time as any." :howler:
    That was used by all the Arab regimes so far. They are clearly stupid.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
    Aug 22, 2006

Well Ze, if you started following the situation in Syria in the last few days, then I don't blame you :D
    The president does this stuff (pay rise and new regulations) regularly.
    The demonstrations sped up the process, because what people were protesting for is to improve their life standard and lift the Marchall (Martial) law... and that's what happened.
    But he used to do it every now and then. Believe it or not.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    RAMI¹⁰;2957520 said:
    :lol: where did I say that?!!!
    I'm not trying to convince any one, actually I don't care what other Arabs think?
    Did you not say that people in Syria are happy and satisfied with the President and the ones having problems are minority? Did you not say that Bashar has improved a lot the living standard in Syria? You probably didn't say it alphabetically like how I'm writing it now but you surely meant that people are satisfied with everything there and the ones protesting are very small group of people.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Growing poverty in Syria
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/jul2010/soci-j13.shtml

Poverty in Syria has increased significantly in the past five years. The United Nations Human Development’s study of Poverty in Syria 1996-2004 is the most comprehensive statistical report currently available. It found that the wealth gap widened and 11.4 percent of people, or 2.2 million of Syria’s 21 million population, lived in extreme poverty, defined as unable to obtain their basic food and non-food needs, a sum equal to SYP92 or US$2 per capita per day. Syria Today reports that a new United Nations Development Programme report due out shortly states that this figure rose to 12.7 percent in 2007.

Real wage growth has fallen, according to official data, from 9.9 percent in 2005 to 3.2 percent in 2007, implying a fall in living standards as prices have risen, with little left over for education, culture or leisure activities.

Forty percent of Syria’s population live in illegal housing, homes or extensions built without planning permission. In Damascus, up to 50 percent of buildings have been constructed illegally. But without legal entitlement to their homes, families find themselves excluded from numerous social and financial services.

"The rich have become richer and the poor poorer…low income families who make up 80 percent of the Syrian population are looking for additional work to support themselves”, the report continued.

Rural poverty in Syria

http://www.ruralpovertyportal.org/web/guest/country/home/tags/syria

Poverty affects 11.4 per cent of all people in Syria. It is more common in rural areas, where 62 per cent of the country's poor people live, but is most severe and most widespread in the north-eastern part of the country.

The latest assessment of rural poverty in the country, conducted by IFAD, found that half of Syria's poor rural households depend on wages for their livelihood. One third of poor rural people cultivates crops and raise livestock to obtain an income. The incidence of poverty is lowest among the 20 per cent of rural people who rely on mixed, or multiple, sources of income. Half of the households in Syria own land, but 70 per cent of these smallholdings are less than three hectares.

IFAD's poverty assessment found that the availability of drinking water is a concern for many people in rural areas. Also, fewer girls than boys are enrolled in schools, and women bear a heavy workload that combines household tasks with productive activities in agriculture.

In rural areas, almost 50 per cent of the labour force is employed in agriculture. Overall, about 25 per cent of young men (20 — 24 age group) are unemployed, with the result that many Syrians migrate to Lebanon to find work.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
    Aug 22, 2006
    Did you not say that people in Syria are happy and satisfied with the President and the ones having problems are minority? Did you not say that Bashar has improved a lot the living standard in Syria? You probably didn't say it alphabetically like how I'm writing it now but you surely meant that people are satisfied with everything there and the ones protesting are very small group of people.
    Rab, check you last post, and see how you accused me of trying to convince some Arabs here of how the life standard is great
    There is a big difference between saying the life standard was improved and saying it's great.
    and by the way, who are the Arabs, I'm trying to convince? I was debating mainly with you in addition to few replies to Abed, and Ahmed.
    Anyways...

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Did you also know that more than 15% of Syrian's population can't read and write. I can also hook you up with sources that is done by neutral human's right developments.

15% of 21 million population is pretty much no?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    RAMI¹⁰;2957746 said:
    Rab, check you last post, and see how you accused me of trying to convince some Arabs here of how the life standard is great
    There is a big difference between saying the life standard was improved and saying it's great.
    and by the way, who are the Arabs, I'm trying to convince? I was debating mainly with you in addition to few replies to Abed, and Ahmed.
    Anyways...
    You know what's your problem mate? You play a lot on words. You're not direct.

I'll give you an example; saying people in Syria are satisfied with the President and have no problems makes us automatically think that what you meant by saying this is that people there have no problem, it's all under-control, there's free of speech, good living standard, good education, all sects have the same rights and etc... while when we try to get deeper into the topic you draw back your claims saying what you mean was something different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)