Surprised This Hasn't Been Mentioned Yet (8 Viewers)

Aug 26, 2003
hmm.. it is so funny some days ago we talked about Legrottaglie and that he is responsible for this season with his errors and now it is buffon, oh man this is really rediculous!

I mean Buffon wasn't the same as last year but how can he be? the defense isn't that strong anymore and now Keeper in the world would be soo good to save all balls!

He made some errors i admit and that is ok but i think it wasn't desicive ones! But when we talk about Parma Match first goal ok his fault, but maybe the chance would get if the defense had worked?? But he made a great save with his feet in the 2nd half!!

so IMO Buffon is the Best in the World, he is far away of keepers like Kahn, Rüstü etc..

Kahn etc.. also made some errors this season!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
right simpson

btw kahn sucks nw,any1 saw the carlos goal in kahn tht led to bayen munchen knockout :LOL:

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #84
    how many out-of this world saves have you lot seen buffon make in his entire tenure here at juve?i've not seen more than 15.and i watch every single juve game broadcasted here,which would be about 40 games a season.(and he doesn't even play in most of those not telecasted ie in coppa)and apart from a remarkable few i've never seen him perform heroics week in week out like so many other keepers do.maybe its just a coincidence that just about every other keeper we've played against has managed to put in a better performance than he has.

its not entirely his fault.never was.playing behind a bad defence does sap your confidence.but haven't you seen him spill crosses the likes of roy carroll wouldn't?against inter i think he even went off his line for one and missed it by a mile,conceding a goal.his catching sucks,plain and simple.and its such a basic part of being a goalie that i just don't know how he managed to be elevated to this status.maybe he does possess some big-match temperament.that great penalty save against korea,last year's semi and final in the CL.yes i do remember those.but during the ordinary weekend match against mid/low table opposition-the games that matter so much more to us than milan,inter etc because of our weakness on big stages- he has consistently failed to produce more than mediocre performances,letting routine shots drop and punching catchable crosses.i think josh summed it well-he is a good goalie who performs bad.

sereni,bucci,frey, and a dozen others have done better against our attack than buffon has against theirs.doesn't it surprise you?that our stronger attack has to work so much harder yet doesn't seem to score as easily as our opponents?that the opponents don't need to play as well to score?that our best chances get saved while we concede inferior ones?or has she shine off his MVP trophy impaired your vision?

i must say i am not surprised at all,that so many have reponded in the manner that they have.(thanks sIAMO nOI & tom,btw,for backing me up)all that hype is not easy to see through.it would be embarrassing for both me and you(though maybe not for the same reasons;)) if i were to mention the number of keepers who have impressed me more than buffon has.

but saying he is the best keeper on earth(much less the best italian of all time:howler:) is a lie.i know it'll be hard to swallow,but the truth always is.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #85
    ++ [ originally posted by DelSing ] ++
    I should ask Desmond here
    which game should Buffon be blame for costing us the win.

lets see
    Juve Milan 1-3
    - power header by an UNMARKED shevchenko
    - PK
    - ferrara deflected a seedorf shoot

roma juve 4-0
    -a bottom corner goal by Dacourt (not even an inch off the post)
    - another PK cause by montero
    - header from an UNMARKED cassano
    the game basically finishes here cause i giveup watching it

juve inter 1-3
    - a cruz fk
    - buffon with the first save on cruz, and cruz score on his only rebound(where thuram was just beside cruz and standing there not clearing the rebound)
    -a martin goal between the legs(maybe buffon should have got it)but alreayd 75min down by 2 goals

inter juve 3-2
    - martin goal assist by stankovic, and vieri (PS martin was in an offside positoin already when vieri pass the ball to stankovic so when martin touch the ball should have been called offside)
    - a vieri PK (a sliding tackle in the pk area by zombrotta which totally missed stankovic)
    -an UNMARKED stankovic fire from 6 yards

deport juve 1-0
    -a thuram give away to the deport player and later a crosses that thuram heads into a deport player that make no mistake to puts it behind buffon
    -(ps we could have benn 3-4 null down if not buffon with great saves)

juve deport 0-1
    -a ****ing montero mistake to allow a throughball for a deport player for a break away and makes a perfect shoot to beat keeper gigi bufffon

well thats all the defeat for Buffon this season. Any soft goals here??? I dont' see any but i saw A LOT of PK and goals score by UNMARKED player

btw after doing a google search on who the hell stekelenburg is , i finally notice that he is the 3RD keeper for Ajax, lol comparing him to buffon
    all the games you've quoted were big ones,and even then some of the goals you mentioned were due to his fault.

even if they weren't,i'd expect some "the best keeper in the world" to save a quarter of these.

++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
    maybe he does possess some big-match temperament.that great penalty save against korea,last year's semi and final in the CL.

he has consistently failed to produce more than mediocre performances,letting routine shots drop and punching catchable crosses.i think josh summed it well-he is a good goalie who performs bad.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #86
    ++ [ originally posted by DelSing ] ++
    well thats all the defeat for Buffon this season. Any soft goals here??? I dont' see any but i saw A LOT of PK and goals score by UNMARKED player
    and the best GK in the world can't save shots from unmarked players and PKs?

i assure you many of the goals scored were less than perfect,far from unsaveable.if you can't expect the best GK in the world to make a couple of unbelievable saves then maybe he isn't the best GK after all.i've seen barthez save better shots(many,many times,may i add) than those you mentioned that buffon conceded.

Aug 1, 2003
    As much as I respect your courage to start this thread Desmond, I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. Buffon is simply, if not the best ONE of the best. His reflexes are good, very alert, has good characteristics, makes one hell of a save everytime, consistent...

Aug 1, 2003
    p/s : I would also like to add that for moi, Buffon has done more good than harm. He's also human so mistakes are prone, but being a good goalie he is he's been able to cover that up.

Plus our defence sucks this year and he still comes up with incredible saves. :shocked:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    I'll tell you something else that may influence highly his performace this season:

I think he's looking ahead at Euro 2004 and he doesn't want to get injured. (remember, he missed Euro 2000 because he fractured a bone in his hand ;) ) This may influece his choices of punching the ball away instead of catching it and falling around defenders.

take that into consideration...

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    if that's not it, you might want to consider putting down your M-16 while typing.... The clip is pressing on the keyboard forming words that make little sense.
    M-16 being geekish for what exactly?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I think Buffon is one of the best if not the best in the word, but Delsing, some of the goals you named were to some extent Buffon's fault. Desmond's already mentioned that the best keeper in the world should be able to save some unmarked shots, because the goalkeeper is the last line of defence. Apart from that though, it becomes apparent from the goals you mentioned that Buffon is very susceptible to free kicks. You can't say "Buffon saved the free kick, and they only scored on the rebound", because the GK's job is to clear the danger when he stops a freekick.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    I think Buffon is one of the best if not the best in the word, but Delsing, some of the goals you named were to some extent Buffon's fault. Desmond's already mentioned that the best keeper in the world should be able to save some unmarked shots, because the goalkeeper is the last line of defence. Apart from that though, it becomes apparent from the goals you mentioned that Buffon is very susceptible to free kicks. You can't say "Buffon saved the free kick, and they only scored on the rebound", because the GK's job is to clear the danger when he stops a freekick.
    rember Nigeria-Danmark during France 98

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #97
    i don't seem to get all those great saves that you guys are talking about...i mean when exactly was the last time he made an unbelievable save?

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #99
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    I'll tell you something else that may influence highly his performace this season:

I think he's looking ahead at Euro 2004 and he doesn't want to get injured. (remember, he missed Euro 2000 because he fractured a bone in his hand ;) ) This may influece his choices of punching the ball away instead of catching it and falling around defenders.

take that into consideration...
    first of all,this has been the case for a long time now,not just recently.and his punching isn't exactly the best in the world either,toldo and canizares punch much better.

secondly,i don't think a keeper should be compromising the interests of the club just so he can reduce chances of getting injured to play for his country.if anything it should be the other way round.we pay his wages,not the italia FA.don't get me wrong though,i don't think he should be doing it for the azzuri either,i'd hope he didn't do it at all.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I do not necessarily agree with Desmond here on his critism of Buffon but he is right in some respects that Buffon makes a lot of silly mistakes but I have to disagree on him saying Buffon does not make crucial saves as a goal keeper does not have to be spectacular to make crucial saves, maybe his positioning and anticipation are so good that he makes difficult saves look easy and he also has saved our bacon a lot of times this season even if he has not been at his best but who has?

Kahn has been woeful this season and his major howler cost Bayern against Real Madrid

Frey has made a lot of errors too as his coming for crosses aint too clever either

Friedel and Cudicini have been very average this season and so has Toldo

But please lets not start using our defence as an excuse as its better than Real madrid's and Cassillas has been brilliant this season

I know Desmond aint a fan of Buffon's and frankly I keep on saying spending £33m on a gola keepr is madness but Buffon has done very well for us but he does have a weakness at free kicks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)