Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (55 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Here’s the thing about Berna as a left back..Sandro is extremely limited as well. You almost NEVER see him use his right foot. Technically I think Berna is better and more dynamic. Physically its a wash imo.

Jun 16, 2020
@HyddeMy eyes tells me this is a limited brainless player who wouldnt suddenly improve because you add defensive tasks to his plate /even if wingback is a simple/straight forward role). Plus I seen him in Viola and Azzurri in this role, was just average, nothing out of the norm there. And thats back when he was better as a player, he has regressed alot. Plus he is severely left footed player who has the instinct to allways cut like its hard coded into his program, him getting stuck in sitautions and not being able to drive in as well will be a struggle for him compared to what he is used to. He can be emergency backup at times there, but to call him a solution for this role? Thats reaching, I'm not sure what its based on?

I truly hope he would prove me wrong and he is a success there, heck anywhere in the pitch, if he can be good, use him there. But he has been useless 2 years straight despite being a skilled enough player, but too low of football IQ to use the tools he has.
I like it because of a few reasons. But let it be clear that I’d like to try him at the left side. He always seemed a bit awkward at the right side, even when he had a good season in 2018.

Besides that we have to find a solution for him, we’re stuck with him anyway. Players in attack are far more superior, and he’s not old yet and on a serious salary.

As you said wingback is a pretty easy position to play. The most less skilled players have succes in those positions. Requires stamina, work rate, discipline and all the extra technical abilities are something extra. Let the guy run brainless at that side and we’ll see it from there.

I can’t say that I’m 200% convinced that it will be a succes, because of the obvious reasons, but it’s worth a try. And I really want to see new things that we haven’t seen yet in this team.

It’s imo far better than seeing him again as a RW, struggling for another season.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I was confused as well. I wouldn't say that Berna is a limited player, but he definitely has some of the worst end product and decision-making I've ever seen for a player at this level.
Which only suggest he could be tried a bit deeper but still on the wing.

We already know he can't produce goals/assists as a winger in 433. We either give him a chance in another position (that he's somewhat familiar with) or just offload him somehow? Seems like there's no movement when it comes to him whatsoever.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Here’s the thing about Berna as a left back..Sandro is extremely limited as well. You almost NEVER see him use his right foot. Technically I think Berna is better and more dynamic. Physically its a wash imo.
The issue is that playing in defence requires a lot of mental attributes not just technical. You need to be smart enough tactically to position not just yourself correctly, but work with the rest of the defence for offside traps etc, you need to choose the right pass and be more careful in possession and you need to know when to carry the ball and when to get rid.

I agree Bernardeschi has a lot of skills that could be useful there. But he has shown very little to suggest that he can handle the mental side. In fact in the Coppa final v Napoli he cost us a corner which I think led to Napoli hitting the post by not being careless.

Playing on the equivalent role on the left that Cuadrado did the other night seems possible. But we would need a more defensive player at RWB to make up the 4 the back.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Berna wingback like how Frabotta played it? Which was a LB in a 4 man defence? Surely not.

You would have to invert the formation when he plays so it's the right side player that becomes the fullback. Which is possible when we start rotating a lot.

So it's a LM in a 4-4-2 defensively.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Berna wingback like how Frabotta played it? Which was a LB in a 4 man defence? Surely not.

You would have to invert the formation when he plays so it's the right side player that becomes the fullback. Which is possible when we start rotating a lot.

So it's a LM in a 4-4-2 defensively.
Makes sense if Cuadrado is out. De Sciglio and Danilo won't offer much as attacking WB.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Sandro has more goals and assists than Bernardeschi despite playing as a defender.
Berna's output as a winger is so trash, I can't imagine how useless he'll be as a fullback.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Makes sense if Cuadrado is out. De Sciglio and Danilo won't offer much as attacking WB.
Kulusevski played RWB at Parma so he can play there while having a more defensive player like Alex Sandro at LWB should be good enough. Also less jabronis on the pitch will make for better team play. Bernadeschi in the team in any position is nonsense.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Sandro has more goals and assists than Bernardeschi despite playing as a defender.
Berna's output as a winger is so trash, I can't imagine how useless he'll be as a fullback.
Sandro: 1 goal, 4 assists in 40 appearances
Berna: 2 goals, 3 assists in 38 appearances

That says more about Sandros ineffectiveness than it does about Berna. Sandro was a starter and Juve played through the wings under Sarri. Cuadrado had twice the production.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Media have been dead silent on Juve the past day or so. Not sure that’s a bad thing.
It's just a relief that any potential sales will be players we want rid of anyway.

Every summer there's the fear we might sell a star to fund the Mercato like Dybala and Demiral last year but seems the only big sale could be Costa which I'm not against providing we bring someone else in.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Kulusevski played RWB at Parma so he can play there while having a more defensive player like Alex Sandro at LWB should be good enough. Also less jabronis on the pitch will make for better team play. Bernadeschi in the team in any position is nonsense.
Might as well try to get some use out of him

- - - Updated - - -

i honestly don't understand the obsession with Chiesa. But Pirlo knows more than I do, so he must have his reasons.
Pirlo wants Chiesa?

singus

Sep 22, 2020
Good luck replacing Alex Sandro and Cuadrado with Berna and Chiesa as wingbacks. I would be very happy to see Fiorentina carry that experiment out this season. There is still time for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)