Summer Mercato Thread 2020-21 (123 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
@Bianconero81

You're correct in your opinion but the problem is the availability of the players you mentioned and the fact that nobody will have the money for big spending.
I'm aware of that, and that's why I propose we use bit-part players like De Shitlio, Burnturdeski, Rabiot and Rugani in trades. We could also sacrifice Costa, Ramsey and Romero if necessary. Obviously, I am all for losing Pjanic, but only if we get a serious upgrade.

May 4, 2020
Because Florentino will take him back like Carvajal.

If you want buy good midfielder to improve squad like PSG, that means no more selling or swaping other midfielders.

No way Pjanic is worth as Verratti.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
You guys clearly lack ambition. A starting midfield of Ramsey Bentancur and Jorginho? :rofl: :howler: How is that an upgrade on what we currently have? Please enlighten me.

I'm willing to bet my life we're not winning the CL with that midfield and Chain Smoking Cancer as our coach. Quote me on this.

I'd rather go with younger and hungrier options, if the choice is between the aforementioned midfield and something else. Of course, Pogba is the dream, but I'd take Kante, SMS, Ndombele and even Tolisso ahead of Fagjinho.

- - - Updated - - -

Burnturdeski says hi ;)
The childish insults just hurt your point, you don't seem particularly objective.

How is it an upgrade on what we have? easy. We would have a player that is better in that in that midfield, and particularly a player that is significantly better in that role.

Tolisso? NDombele? really? what have they done to be in this conversation? Tolisso is a 25 yo player who had hype, but after 3 seasons at Bayern they are ready to give up on him. At his age he will soon enter his prime and yet after a large investment of time and money Bayern are ready to let go. NDombele joined for Spurs for ridiculous money and now seems to be on the way out through the back door after just a season.

Who is lacking ambition when you reject a proven player in his prime for rejects?

Sergej and Pogba are something else. Those would improve us greatly, yet Pogba is prohibitively expensive and Sergej seems unavailable for us. The latter can change hopefully.

Kante we have seen with Sarri and Jorginho. There is no need to speculate there. Sarri has said and shown that he is not a player to play in the center of midfield to control the game. If we want to upgrade on Pjanic the answer of Jorginho vs Kante is obvious and already has been given. That's without mentioning that Kante is also unavailable.

The club needs to build around the needs we have, and certainly Jorginho addresses these needs better than all your alternatives, and any we have in the squad. Only Pogba is a special case because of the unique talent and excitement he brings, yet he is too expensive. It's not realistic.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
The childish insults just hurt your point, you don't seem particularly objective.

How is it an upgrade on what we have? easy. We would have a player that is better in that in that midfield, and particularly a player that is significantly better in that role.

Tolisso? NDombele? really? what have they done to be in this conversation? Tolisso is a 25 yo player who had hype, but after 3 seasons at Bayern they are ready to give up on him. At his age he will soon enter his prime and yet after a large investment of time and money Bayern are ready to let go. NDombele joined for Spurs for ridiculous money and now seems to be on the way out through the back door after just a season.

Who is lacking ambition when you reject a proven player in his prime for rejects?

Sergej and Pogba are something else. Those would improve us greatly, yet Pogba is prohibitively expensive and Sergej seems unavailable for us. The latter can change hopefully.

Kante we have seen with Sarri and Jorginho. There is no need to speculate there. Sarri has said and shown that he is not a player to play in the center of midfield to control the game. If we want to upgrade on Pjanic the answer of Jorginho vs Kante is obvious and already has been given. That's without mentioning that Kante is also unavailable.

The club needs to build around the needs we have, and certainly Jorginho addresses these needs better than all your alternatives, and any we have in the squad. Only Pogba is a special case because of the unique talent and excitement he brings, yet he is too expensive. It's not realistic.
Again, prohibitively expensive according to who? Neither you nor anyone here knows how much we have to spend, and how much we can generate through sales or whether we can use players in exchange.

I do not rate Jorginho - proven he may be, but he's not top quality. If he's the best we can get, I'd rather stick with what we have and watch us fail in Europe again. We aren't going to succeed with him either. I also don't want Chain Smoking Cancer as coach beyond 2021, so I'd rather we not invest in a 28 year old player we'd struggle to get rid of later. I doubt anyone would want a 30-31 year old Jorginho 2-3 years down the line.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
According to Paratici?

Pogba è un grandissimo calciatore, ma sicuramente questo tipo di giocatore farà fatica a trovare squadre che possano pagare il loro salario

I mean just this month when asked, Paratici said that Pogba would have problems finding clubs that are willing to pay his salary.

He also said that with the current crisis deals have to be creative, and everyone has said that the money is reduced from before. We are not in a position to sign Pogba, should be obvious given what the club has said.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Probably hard to afford Pogba when we've got Ronaldo, Dybala, De Ligt and Higuain on the books. Even a couple of our midfield clowns are on big bucks.

How much does Higuian earn compared to Pogba? If Higuain won't come back can we stop paying him and add Pogba?

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
According to Paratici?

Pogba è un grandissimo calciatore, ma sicuramente questo tipo di giocatore farà fatica a trovare squadre che possano pagare il loro salario

I mean just this month when asked, Paratici said that Pogba would have problems finding clubs that are willing to pay his salary.

He also said that with the current crisis deals have to be creative, and everyone has said that the money is reduced from before. We are not in a position to sign Pogba, should be obvious given what the club has said.
In regards to the quote, that's a tactic to bring the price down. I'm not saying we will get Pogba, however reading anything from it is useless

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
According to Paratici?

I understand, but he only said "it's difficult for this kind of player to find a squad willing to pay his salary."

I think Tootsie, regardless of his mental aptitude, is aware Pogba wants out, and with Nedved's good relations with Raiola and Pogba's "potentially" expiring contract, we might be able to make something happen. I'm not saying it will be easy (by all means no), but it's not impossible.

I'd also like to remind you that Pogba's net salary is around 8 million Euros.

Bananaman

May 14, 2020
Again, prohibitively expensive according to who? Neither you nor anyone here knows how much we have to spend, and how much we can generate through sales or whether we can use players in exchange.
United don't want any of the players juve are trying to get rid of, it would have to be someone like de ligt going the other way for an exchange to happen.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2006
United don't want any of the players juve are trying to get rid of, it would have to be someone like de ligt going the other way for an exchange to happen.
This is beyond absurd. Pogba is a 16M per year liability on salary alone, nevermind the initial 100+M investment. United wants to renew a contract/sign another top player - well if they can pay a benched player 16M, surely they can do similar for a starter. Great place for negotiations. He has 2 years on his contract left and is willing to negotiate for a bumper deal only.

MU survive on generating cash for themselves and their owners' loan. They are screwed.

Bananaman

May 14, 2020
This is beyond absurd.
What part of the post you are quoting is absurd? I was addressing the suggestion of a part exchange deal, nothing to do with negotiations on a new contract. Maybe you quoted the wrong post.

Pogba is a 16M per year liability on salary alone, nevermind the initial 100+M investment. United wants to renew a contract/sign another top player - well if they can pay a benched player 16M, surely they can do similar for a starter. Great place for negotiations. He has 2 years on his contract left and is willing to negotiate for a bumper deal only.
He's one of the best players in the league. A liability is someone like sanchez who contributes nothing, not pogba. If he changed his mind and decided to sign a new contract the united hierarchy would be very happy. The wages have never been the issue, its his desire to win trophies elsewhere that is the problem.

MU survive on generating cash for themselves and their owners' loan. They are screwed.
United are better placed to ride out this crisis than almost any other club bar the oil money clubs, so i'm not sure where this perception you have that united are in dire financial straights has come from. The loan is not an issue at all, the yearly repayments are a drop in the ocean. United's struggles in recent years have been due to poor management on the football side, financially the club is very healthy.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
What part of the post you are quoting is absurd? I was addressing the suggestion of a part exchange deal, nothing to do with negotiations on a new contract. Maybe you quoted the wrong post.

He's one of the best players in the league. A liability is someone like sanchez who contributes nothing, not pogba. If he changed his mind and decided to sign a new contract the united hierarchy would be very happy. The wages have never been the issue, its his desire to win trophies elsewhere that is the problem.

United are better placed to ride out this crisis than almost any other club bar the oil money clubs, so i'm not sure where this perception you have that united are in dire financial straights has come from. The loan is not an issue at all, the yearly repayments are a drop in the ocean. United's struggles in recent years have been due to poor management on the football side, financially the club is very healthy.
He has barely played this season and United has been better when he wasn't there.

Exchanging de Ligt for a flop is not worth it in this universe

Bananaman

May 14, 2020
He has barely played this season and United has been better when he wasn't there.
United missed pogba hugely for most of this season, things only improved when bruno came in at the end of january. If you think united didn't miss pogba then clearly you do not watch united play very often.

Exchanging de Ligt for a flop is not worth it in this universe
Maybe it is a fair exchange, maybe its not. The point is, de ligt is the kind of player that juve would have to give up for an exchange to happen.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
wtf dude, what's your nick on redcafé

He's not wrong. That is exactly the type of player that ManU would be looking for. That doesn't mean that we would make the deal, nor did he ever imply that we should, or would.

- - - Updated - - -

All these names that I hear bandied about in players going to United for Pogba. Pjanic, Bernardeschi, Ramsey et al.

If we are so eager to get rid of these guys what makes anyone think that United would be jumping for joy to take them on?

- - - Updated - - -

To me, there are only two untouchables on this team

DeLigt and Dybala. Anyone else, including Ronaldo, can go if the price is right.

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
He's not wrong. That is exactly the type of player that ManU would be looking for. That doesn't mean that we would make the deal, nor did he ever imply that we should, or would.
he wrote that a pogba - de ligt swap might or might not be a fair exchange. that's what i quoted.

and that's completely wrong: de ligt is unsellable for juventus, he's the absolute top in his position, he's been performing on a very high level, his work ethic is unquestionable, he's happy at his club, manure would be a downgrade for him, he's barely at the beginning of his contract, and unless a serious injury hits him, he's going to be worth more than his current value. pogba, on the other hand, wants out, he's not been performing on a top10 level in recent years, he became injury prone, his loyalty and professionalism were already compromised several times over the years, he clearly wants out, it looks like his club already has a worthy replacement for him in bruno fernandes. there are also news about manure missing the deadline to extend pogba's contract without even asking the player, so they aren't opposed to a sale probably.

de ligt is clearly the more valuable player. it's not even a question whether this exchange would be fair.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
They are interested in Costa if the Sancho deal doesn't work out

Not only if the deal goes through they'll get players in exchange that we deem exchangeable players, they also don't have the upper hand because they have very few suitors and they already decided not to renew Pogba - BECAUSE they think he is dispensable. They'll indeed get their money worth in a possible deal but they can therefore forget about the Dybalas and de Ligts

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
he wrote that a pogba - de ligt swap might or might not be a fair exchange. that's what i quoted.

and that's completely wrong: de ligt is unsellable for juventus, he's the absolute top in his position, he's been performing on a very high level, his work ethic is unquestionable, he's happy at his club, manure would be a downgrade for him, he's barely at the beginning of his contract, and unless a serious injury hits him, he's going to be worth more than his current value. pogba, on the other hand, wants out, he's not been performing on a top10 level in recent years, he became injury prone, his loyalty and professionalism were already compromised several times over the years, he clearly wants out, it looks like his club already has a worthy replacement for him in bruno fernandes. there are also news about manure missing the deadline to extend pogba's contract without even asking the player, so they aren't opposed to a sale probably.

de ligt is clearly the more valuable player. it's not even a question whether this exchange would be fair.

Ok.

You don't think that DeLigt would be the type of player that they would ask for in exchange for Pogba? That my point. They wouldn't ask for Pjanic and Bernaredeschi for example because they could find younger and cheaper alternatives. And in my extended post I stated that DeLigt is one of only 2 untouchables on this team.

- - - Updated - - -

They are interested in Costa if the Sancho deal doesn't work out

Not only if the deal goes through they'll get players in exchange that we deem exchangeable players, they also don't have the upper hand because they have very few suitors and they already decided not to renew Pogba - BECAUSE they think he is dispensable. They'll indeed get their money worth in a possible deal but they can therefore forget about the Dybalas and de Ligts

United will make the Sancho deal work. Going from Sancho to Costa is like going from a Ferrari to a Volkswagen Beetle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 121)