Summer mercato 2015 (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Verratti is set for international stardom.He's going to be grabbed by the Spanish giants if he ever leaves.
I think he'll come back to play in Serie A only in his latter yrs.
Biggest miss in Marotta's career imo.
Appallingly bad miss on Marotta's part, especially considering it was only over the last few million on the price tag. Imagine having Verratti in place of Pirlo for this CL final! :tuttosport:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It was a huge mistake i admit but i remember reading an interview of Marotta saying that it was either Verratti or Pogba or he was trying to cover up
I think there's at least some truth in that. I mean, we already had 2 CM-youngsters that season with Pogba and Marrone (who was rather highly rated at the time and homegrown, so we wouldn't have discarded him), I could imagine the management deciding against a third, especially an expensive one, as there wouldn't be enough playtime for all of them anyways. Add to that of course that PSG would have probably matched any offer we could've made anyways, seeing as they didn't have any reason to care about FFP back then.

It's still a hige opportunity missed by Marotta, but an excusable one imo, especially considering his other brilliant signings.

Aug 26, 2014
I think there's at least some truth in that. I mean, we already had 2 CM-youngsters that season with Pogba and Marrone (who was rather highly rated at the time and homegrown, so we wouldn't have discarded him), I could imagine the management deciding against a third, especially an expensive one, as there wouldn't be enough playtime for all of them anyways. Add to that of course that PSG would have probably matched any offer we could've made anyways, seeing as they didn't have any reason to care about FFP back then.

It's still a hige opportunity missed by Marotta, but an excusable one imo, especially considering his other brilliant signings.
I agree it was a huge opportunity if we had gotten him then we would have sold Pogba or him by now and we would have made a ton of money and be pretty much as we are today. Still i like the way it all turned out, us being in the CL final and all :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

As I said at the time, we can talk about getting him for the fee PSG did but really we have no way in knowing whether they will just keep adding a million on with each offer we make. We didn't get into auctions then and still don't, especially not for potential.

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011
Appallingly bad miss on Marotta's part, especially considering it was only over the last few million on the price tag. Imagine having Verratti in place of Pirlo for this CL final! :tuttosport:
If Verratti had joined us back when he signed for PSG he'd never been the player he is right now. 100% Conte would have played Pirlo instead, and while Allegri could have played Verratti this season, he would still be in the shadow of Pirlo. Ideally we should have signed him and loaned him out only to take him in this January instead of, or alongside, Sturaro.

But €15m is a lot for a player you intend to loan out. Enter Berardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)