Stock Market (5 Viewers)

OP
AFL_ITALIA

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
  • Thread Starter #770
    How do you decide when to buy and sell these meme stocks with garbage fundamentals?
    Before it jumps 500%, so in this case last February or December. Still hasn't hit the January high.

Even though I think it's a legit opportunity longterm, I'm hoping they do SoFi next because of the short interest. Get me some money :tuttosport:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Some of these trader guys that I follow are good traders. But man, they are fundamentally 'tarded. Some of them actually thought the Fed would be hawkish and raise rates. Obviously they can't do that right now. They might in the future, but by then it'll be too late anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

We really need another deflationary spiral. Housing prices are insane and need to go down, commodities need to fuck off, and SPX needs to go to 1800. So please just nuke this shit already.

Last edited:
    Jun 16, 2020
    I started about a week ago, felt like the time was right for me to see if investing/trading is something for me.

Invested some money in Orphazyme, but they didn’t get their FDA approval so that one turned out ugly. I’m at a small loss atm (~€85) so nothing shocking. Any tips? They will go for their European approval in Q4 so I guess that holding is the most safe bet. Does it happen a lot that companies don’t get their FDA approval, and I was reading that it’s more difficult for foreign companies to get their approval, so not sure what to believe?

The other one is Alfi. Stepped in at the right moment when they got a deal with Ubber.

I’m looking for some general tips, where to look for, interesting stocks and certainly what to avoid. Do you guys have a term, so if you invest something today when you’re planning to cash out? Thanks @AFL_ITALIA

OP
    AFL_ITALIA

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
  • Thread Starter #774
    I started about a week ago, felt like the time was right for me to see if investing/trading is something for me.

Invested some money in Orphazyme, but they didn’t get their FDA approval so that one turned out ugly. I’m at a small loss atm (~€85) so nothing shocking. Any tips? They will go for their European approval in Q4 so I guess that holding is the most safe bet. Does it happen a lot that companies don’t get their FDA approval, and I was reading that it’s more difficult for foreign companies to get their approval, so not sure what to believe?

The other one is Alfi. Stepped in at the right moment when they got a deal with Ubber.

I’m looking for some general tips, where to look for, interesting stocks and certainly what to avoid. Do you guys have a term, so if you invest something today when you’re planning to cash out? Thanks @AFL_ITALIA
    This is of course a very in depth topic that in my opinion I know very little about, so I'll try to summarize as best as I can :p. Most of these questions can be answered with "it depends" based upon who you are as an investor.

In my view, it is best to have a blend of safe long term investments, as well as some short and medium term if you have the time and money to spare. For the long term, the balanced approach would be to have the bulk of your investments in broad, diversified ETFs or index funds. For example, SPY covers the entire S&P 500, QQQ is the largest 100 non-financial companies on the NASDAQ, etc. And of course you can also pick individual companies that you believe in on top of that. From there, you can then have your play money to throw around as you please in short or medium term plays. Here you'll win some, and you'll lose some, so it's important that this is not money that you can't afford to lose.

With that said, what are the short term plays? Well, this also depends on your personal risk tolerance and timeframe you have in mind. If it's a few days to a week or so, you're going to have to find something that's very volatile or maybe heard some good rumors ("buy the rumor, sell the news"). Take meme stocks such as GME and AMC for example. Highly volatile and obscenely overpriced, these are things that you would buy into ONLY if it wouldn't hurt to lose that money, because these can crash to normal price levels and never come back without warning. Personally I would never touch those right now. Cryptocurrencies are imo another option for this, with double digit percentage swings within minutes sometimes (although many consider this a long term investment). Things like these you would need to be actively watching the ticker, or have stop losses set. It's essentially gambling, and so I tend to almost always avoid it. I made like $60-80 on SOS in a week or two, but also broke even or lost a few dollars in DGLY, GME, and AMC.

I mostly invest for the medium and long term, where I put money into companies that I think will do well or industries that I think will do well. As perhaps the biggest example, electric vehicles were huge this past year or two. Look at the 5 year charts for TSLA, NIO, and PLUG, they exploded because of a renewed focus on the environment and a recent push to shift from gasoline powered to electric vehicles globally (Biden policies, China's EV mandates, etc). Predicting that overall trend and having a little patience could've made you some serious money in this case. I only had one share of Tesla at the start of the pandemic, I kick myself for not buying much more :p. A good starting point would be to just think of large companies that you deal with, have seen, or have maybe heard of often, and then do a little research. For example, Google, Apple, McDonalds, BlackRock, you get the idea.

For what to avoid, the two biggest things I would say are to avoid FOMO and don't get too greedy, I'll give you personal examples of both :p.
    All of last year, Cathie Wood's ARK funds were EXPLODING, ARKG had over 200% growth that year. After a takeoff like that, I finally caved and said to myself "I need to get in on that!" Despite the fact that usually when shares jump in price like that, they usually drop off afterwards, I bought in January at the all time high of I think $110/share. We're now sitting at $87, I probably won't be getting that money back.
    Also around this time you had meme stocks take off for the first time. I was watching it all happen from the sidelines, telling my friend "maybe we should buy into GME" when it was at around $60/share. The next day it hit $100 and I thought "well I could risk $100" and bought one share. In addition to this, I also had bought 30 shares of BlackBerry a while prior to this when hearing about their Amazon deal and bought in as a long term bet. They both went parabolic with GME over $300 and BB around $25/share. I knew I should've sold them, but didn't because I got greedy and was hoping for more gains. I would've made around $1,000 if I had just sold then, rather than nothing now. So as you can see, I'm an idiot so take from the next paragraph what you will :D

As for interesting stocks:
    My brother's millionaire coworker suggested Viacom, says it should be valued around the $60 range. Paramount+ growing, p/e of like 8 or something, possible acquisition target - I'm in for a few shares at this price.
    I currently have this chilling in my account at the moment. I also have some shares of the BETZ ETF, which gives exposure to sports and online betting companies, as I see this only growing in the United States in the coming year or so. Everything else I own, I've just been holding for a while. Moody's has been absolutely phenomenal for me since the start of the year through the volatility of pretty much everything else.

@Bjerknes and @lgorTudor probably know quite a bit more than me, but that I think sums it up.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
    This is of course a very in depth topic that in my opinion I know very little about, so I'll try to summarize as best as I can :p. Most of these questions can be answered with "it depends" based upon who you are as an investor.

In my view, it is best to have a blend of safe long term investments, as well as some short and medium term if you have the time and money to spare. For the long term, the balanced approach would be to have the bulk of your investments in broad, diversified ETFs or index funds. For example, SPY covers the entire S&P 500, QQQ is the largest 100 non-financial companies on the NASDAQ, etc. And of course you can also pick individual companies that you believe in on top of that. From there, you can then have your play money to throw around as you please in short or medium term plays. Here you'll win some, and you'll lose some, so it's important that this is not money that you can't afford to lose.

With that said, what are the short term plays? Well, this also depends on your personal risk tolerance and timeframe you have in mind. If it's a few days to a week or so, you're going to have to find something that's very volatile or maybe heard some good rumors ("buy the rumor, sell the news"). Take meme stocks such as GME and AMC for example. Highly volatile and obscenely overpriced, these are things that you would buy into ONLY if it wouldn't hurt to lose that money, because these can crash to normal price levels and never come back without warning. Personally I would never touch those right now. Cryptocurrencies are imo another option for this, with double digit percentage swings within minutes sometimes (although many consider this a long term investment). Things like these you would need to be actively watching the ticker, or have stop losses set. It's essentially gambling, and so I tend to almost always avoid it. I made like $60-80 on SOS in a week or two, but also broke even or lost a few dollars in DGLY, GME, and AMC.

I mostly invest for the medium and long term, where I put money into companies that I think will do well or industries that I think will do well. As perhaps the biggest example, electric vehicles were huge this past year or two. Look at the 5 year charts for TSLA, NIO, and PLUG, they exploded because of a renewed focus on the environment and a recent push to shift from gasoline powered to electric vehicles globally (Biden policies, China's EV mandates, etc). Predicting that overall trend and having a little patience could've made you some serious money in this case. I only had one share of Tesla at the start of the pandemic, I kick myself for not buying much more :p. A good starting point would be to just think of large companies that you deal with, have seen, or have maybe heard of often, and then do a little research. For example, Google, Apple, McDonalds, BlackRock, you get the idea.

For what to avoid, the two biggest things I would say are to avoid FOMO and don't get too greedy, I'll give you personal examples of both :p.
    All of last year, Cathie Wood's ARK funds were EXPLODING, ARKG had over 200% growth that year. After a takeoff like that, I finally caved and said to myself "I need to get in on that!" Despite the fact that usually when shares jump in price like that, they usually drop off afterwards, I bought in January at the all time high of I think $110/share. We're now sitting at $87, I probably won't be getting that money back.
    Also around this time you had meme stocks take off for the first time. I was watching it all happen from the sidelines, telling my friend "maybe we should buy into GME" when it was at around $60/share. The next day it hit $100 and I thought "well I could risk $100" and bought one share. In addition to this, I also had bought 30 shares of BlackBerry a while prior to this when hearing about their Amazon deal and bought in as a long term bet. They both went parabolic with GME over $300 and BB around $25/share. I knew I should've sold them, but didn't because I got greedy and was hoping for more gains. I would've made around $1,000 if I had just sold then, rather than nothing now. So as you can see, I'm an idiot so take from the next paragraph what you will :D

As for interesting stocks:

I currently have this chilling in my account at the moment. I also have some shares of the BETZ ETF, which gives exposure to sports and online betting companies, as I see this only growing in the United States in the coming year or so. Everything else I own, I've just been holding for a while. Moody's has been absolutely phenomenal for me since the start of the year through the volatility of pretty much everything else.

@Bjerknes and @lgorTudor probably know quite a bit more than me, but that I think sums it up.
    I like your style. Viacom is worth a look into. Looks like I missed the boat on Disney. They are printing money with their new subscriptions on Disney+.
    As for car companies, I will be going long on many of them. Already invested a little in Ford. I think all major car companies are beginning transition to EV.

OP
    AFL_ITALIA

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
  • Thread Starter #777
    I like your style. Viacom is worth a look into. Looks like I missed the boat on Disney. They are printing money with their new subscriptions on Disney+.
    As for car companies, I will be going long on many of them. Already invested a little in Ford. I think all major car companies are beginning transition to EV.
    I don't think there ever is a "too late" for Disney at this point, they seem unstoppable. You never bet against the mouse.

OP
    AFL_ITALIA

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
  • Thread Starter #778
    I'm thinking of adding more SoFi, under $20 a share now. Their last reported earnings were great and I don't see student or auto loans going anywhere in the short term. There's a lot of longterm growth potential here imo.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011

GME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)