Spring Cleaning (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I don't see anything of a concensus here. And even if there was, I don't see much of anything that's actionable... other than my vote for more mods. (We definitely need them, IMO.)

For the record, I see nothing inherently wrong with vBookie, the arcade, or the rep system any more than I see anything wrong with having some threads (and you know what they are) that a lot of people won't go near. As a general rule, I don't think that a community is necessarily served better by taking away features. Especially if they're optional.

As for the mass unbanning of former members, nothing personal, but these folks undoubtedly had several "this is the last time" warnings already. I think adding another won't make a difference in the end, unfortunately.

And since any set of rules is always going to be open for interpretation, just as any laws are, there has to be some level of vagueness that we're not going to be able to avoid. If there are specific rules that are missing or should be clarified, we should definitely do that. But behavior is often very subjective and open to interpretation of the rules. So mods, et al, except in the most eggregious of cases, will have to make judgement calls.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #82
    Respaul said:
    Personally i think you need to start with deciding how many mods you want and then getting them signed up...

Once done i would rec setting up an msn conference (or similar) with the mod staff and some senior members to discuss where you want to go and how to do it... Thats what we did on another forum and had the place sorted in no time...
    That sounds like a good plan, Paul.

About the Arcade and vbPlaza...there is no question these functions take time away from posting and also cause disputes between some members over stealing cash. I seriously do not understand why there is a thief option anyway, and personally I would simply like to get rid of that place and just have vBookie instead. I also do not see a reason for an arcade on a forum...I mean there are several websites where you can play even better arcade games...don't really see a point. The vBookie idea was a great one, however I think we got a little carried away with all this other stuff.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    Andy said:
    That sounds like a good plan, Paul.

About the Arcade and vbPlaza...there is no question these functions take time away from posting and also cause disputes between some members over stealing cash. I seriously do not understand why there is a thief option anyway, and personally I would simply like to get rid of that place and just have vBookie instead. I also do not see a reason for an arcade on a forum...I mean there are several websites where you can play even better arcade games...don't really see a point. The vBookie idea was a great one, however I think we got a little carried away with all this other stuff.
    I agree with things you said, but the arcade. I can't imagine a single reason that it will harm the forums.
    1- Nobody is discussing about the arcade games at the forums
    2- No one insulted/fought others because of arcade
    3- Members rarely play the arcade
    4- it is better to stay there, and members will use them when they are bored, instead of opening stupid threads like, "let's play this game" kinds of threads.
    5-I doubt members post less, because of the arcade games.

Sep 28, 2002
    yeah, arcade is not a problem, bookie should also stay, its kind of fun.

its the rep system that must go, because its incredibly annyoing to read in every second thread: "who gave this neg rep and didnt sign it etc". childish, pointless and in the end who gives a f.?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Fliakis said:
    yeah, arcade is not a problem, bookie should also stay, its kind of fun.

its the rep system that must go, because its incredibly annyoing to read in every second thread: "who gave this neg rep and didnt sign it etc". childish, pointless and in the end who gives a f.?
    I must admit... those posts are becoming very tiresome and all too common.

Sep 28, 2002
    one more suggestion:

wouldnt it be easier not to close derailed threads but instead deleting the posts that derailed them?

same goes for all the pointless threads that are closed after just few posts. they just create havoc.

sure, it might be a hassle, but it'd keep the place tidy

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    A lot of members are asking to unban Seven and others, and I still can't understand why would someone would stand against it. and call it not personal :confused:

I don't blame Seven for the bans he recieved, he was being provoked by other members, and those members escaped the bans.

If it is time to change, then it should start from he scratch, new rules should be set , and should be applied on everyone Equally. I don't understand why all this hate about Seven, people that even didn't talk with him, hate him for no reason. like he is a monster or something.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Fliakis said:
    one more suggestion:

wouldnt it be easier not to close derailed threads but instead deleting the posts that derailed them?

same goes for all the pointless threads that are closed after just few posts. they just create havoc.

sure, it might be a hassle, but it'd keep the place tidy
    I've been tempted to delete posts. But that's pretty extreme... removing posts. It really sends a very strong message that your posts aren't even worth the bits. While true in some cases, I think that's a bit extreme for an open forum.

The only time I've deleted posts was when we had abusers and dupe accounts where people really did say offensive things, etc., and I wanted to send a message that any efforts they spent in continuing to abuse the place would be summarily wiped with the click of a mouse.

Next to bans, it's the nuclear option of moderating.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    snoop said:
    A lot of members are asking to unban Seven and others, and I still can't understand why would someone would stand against it. and call it not personal :confused:
    It's personal if you bring up Seven. You're making it personal, snoop.

It's not personal if, as a blanket rule, we're talking about all the posters who fall in this class -- whether Seven, Jaecole, Claire, etc. Check the post.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #93
    snoop said:

I don't blame Seven for the bans he recieved, he was being provoked by other members, and those members escaped the bans.
    Nah, I'm not going to accept that. He deserved his first ban for sure and the second was because he came back and promptly insulted members without any other instigation. He was not provoked by other members and was banned because of his own actions. However, when he came back again his behavior improved greatly and thus should be given another chance.

And about the arcade...I just do not see a point to it and its simply not needed.

Sep 28, 2002
    swag said:
    I've been tempted to delete posts. But that's pretty extreme... removing posts. It really sends a very strong message that your posts aren't even worth the bits. While true in some cases, I think that's a bit extreme for an open forum.

The only time I've deleted posts was when we had abusers and dupe accounts where people really did say offensive things, etc., and I wanted to send a message that any efforts they spent in continuing to abuse the place would be summarily wiped with the click of a mouse.

Next to bans, it's the nuclear option of moderating.

you think so? i dont. i mean, some starts a potentially good and interesting thread and some idiot comes in and starts talking about hallumi or what is it cheese. moments later few more idiots join and bam! the thread is ruined. i say just delete those posts. people will learn their lesson quickly imo

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Fliakis said:
    you think so? i dont. i mean, some starts a potentially good and interesting thread and some idiot comes in and starts talking about hallumi or what is it cheese. moments later few more idiots join and bam! the thread is ruined. i say just delete those posts. people will learn their lesson quickly imo
    I'm not saying that I can't be convinced. :D

But doing so sets a precedent. How, then, do we equally and fairly swoop in and start deleting all the posts that some 'star chamber' determines 'unfit' for posting on the topic? And how do we do so with consistency -- ensuring that all threads get the same treatment? You're suggesting a very large police action/undertaking here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)