Spring Cleaning (4 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Andy said:
Yeah, I seriously don't see a problem with calling a coach crap, because Cap is indeed essentially crap in the Champions League. So by banning people for calling our coach crap, thats basically taking away our freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech isn't the same as an alledged right to insult.

That senior member forum is a horrible idea (no offence Tom. Stella's on me). It's like a white men's golf club, I want no part in it :D

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #42
    Erik said:
    Freedom of speech isn't the same as an alledged right to insult.
    Crap can be used as a mere noun or adjective, so calling a coach crap is the same thing as calling a coach inept. Would you like to prohibit any negative statement towards a coach, player, or executive?

Yippeee, lets love everyone. :cheesy:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Andy said:
    Yeah, I seriously don't see a problem with calling a coach crap, because Cap is indeed essentially crap in the Champions League. So by banning people for calling our coach crap, thats basically taking away our freedom of speech.
    besides cap and crap rime nicely. :D

Gep

The Guv'nor
    Jun 12, 2005
    Capello just needs to get laid. And needs to re-new his Coaching badge. But Moggi & co need to stop kissing his arse And dust this Bitch!:D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Andy said:
    Crap can be used as a mere noun or adjective, so calling a coach crap is the same thing as calling a coach inept. Would you like to prohibit any negative statement towards a coach, player, or executive?

Yippeee, lets love everyone. :cheesy:
    Don't simplify a complicated issue for the purpose of mocking it. That's the very root of the environment you attempt to change with this thread (or least attempt to kick-start a change)

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #46
    Erik said:
    Don't simplify a complicated issue for the purpose of mocking it. That's the very root of the environment you attempt to change with this thread (or least attempt to kick-start a change)
    How is this mocking the issue? Its the exact same premise! I still don't see a problem with stating we have a crappy coach. If we start banning people because of such an adjective you will be banning a lot of people on this forum..

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Andy said:
    How is this mocking the issue? Its the exact same premise! I still don't see a problem with stating we have a crappy coach. If we start banning people because of such an adjective you will be banning a lot of people on this forum..
    Well that should get your wish granted. You should be backing me :D

Jan 7, 2004
    Azzurri7 said:
    Who IS this guy to ask for another moderator to replace Swag.

No, I'm not ass kissing nor licking here, but that kid must either be stupid or stupid, one of them.

stupid this and stupid that. jeez, then dont fuckin complain when others do that to you

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    snoop said:
    Arcade and Bookies are not harming like Andy mentioned, but if he explains it with more details why would it harm, maybe I will agree with him. But arcade, I can't imagine how it will harm the forums, members rarley play it, and no one discusses about it..

Vbplaza and reputation are harming the forums a lot, remove them forever..

Mods: remove swag from his position, and bring objective mods, and not just populars or figures.
    You damn hypocrite, read your own bloody signiture before you try to sound like a smart ass.

Remove Swag? Are you a complete idiot? He's been doing an excellent job.

Popular, Popular, Popular, I see you complaining about that all the time, do you feel left out snoopy? Do ya' big guy? :eyebrows:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    snoop said:
    I liked and still like him more as a member, but he is too soft to be a moderator, and I am not saying that alone.
    I kinda prefer the doodyhead comment line, but I'll chime in here. :pumpkin:

First of all, thanks to all who have posted here in the interests of improving things around here. It shows that you honestly care.

Thanks also to those who showed their support for what little I've been able to do here as a mod. But snoop is also right here. I don't see myself as a tough moderator by any means -- and I think there's a role for that. How much of a role is the question.

For one, IMO, we don't have enough mods -- particularly with Zlatan stepping down. I get here daily, but often that day job of mine keeps me from getting here as often as I'd like ... leaving little time to post let alone "moderate" much. And because of time constraints that happen, I generally prefer not to error on the side of heavy-handedness -- swooping in and banning this or that person over borderline comments, etc., when I am not as familiar with what happened, who started it, and where it's going (and can't monitor it all that closely). So unless if it's offensive enough, I generally try not to abuse the role and allow a good margin for people to act adult and do the right thing. Because everyone screws up on these forums at least once. And while people carry scars here, most people are still alive on these forums.

Now one thing that leads to the impression of partiality or inequity is that it's just impossible for any one person to stay on top of every thread going on ... hence why we had mods in different forum groups in the past here. So one person gets caught and gets banned, but others in unseen threads seemingly "get away" with it. It's unfortunately imperfect.

So while I will definitely agree that we need more mods here, I also think we have to take a step back for a little reality check. It's never going to be perfect. Offenses aren't black and white, they are often shades of grey. And I don't think this forum and its support can scale to the scale of offenses that are out there. Even something as seemingly simple as an insult -- you can go from "dootyhead" to "#$^%@#$" and many flavors inbetween, and there isn't a clear line that says "dootyhead= 2 day ban" vs "wanker = 4 day ban" vs....

You can post rules, as we have on the forums. But that's insufficient to apply to all circumstances without interpretation. We have societies with entire court systems with judges and legal counsel to navigate that maze of interpretation. We're not going to get it on a forum, and personally none of us would tolerate it. So some level of inconsistency has to exist. We don't run a democracy... it's just a forum.

Still, I'm all for improvements and more clarification. I'm all for more mods. But I also want to be realistic and hope others can see the inherent limitations to anything we do here. A lot of it, no matter what, is in the hands of the posters here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)