[SPA] La Liga 2014/2015 (125 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
and too much CR7, as well :p

- - - Updated - - -

Plus they refused to pass poor James that was always way open on them lol
James made the key pass on that 3rd goal there. It was Ronaldo who was ball hogging on most of those fialed counters. He hardly ever had the right read and even on the rare occasions he did, he couldn't make the pass.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Unless he did that all by himself without a top-notch supporting cast, yes you can ... :shifty:
That supporting cast has rotated pretty heavily over the last 5 years, but one thing has remained constant, Ronaldo, scoring over a goal per game. He seems to quickly adapt to new teammates. However, I will agree, Bale seems to be the best complementary player to his style of any player he has played with yet. The two of them on counterattacks together is lethal.

He doesn't seem to have really developed an understanding with James yet. Neither has Bale though, really. Oddly enough it seems Benzema is the one working well with James currently, and also seems to have benefitted most from his presence.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
That supporting cast has rotated pretty heavily over the last 5 years, but one thing has remained constant, Ronaldo, scoring over a goal per game. He seems to quickly adapt to new teammates. However, I will agree, Bale seems to be the best complementary player to his style of any player he has played with yet. The two of them on counterattacks together is lethal.

He doesn't seem to have really developed an understanding with James yet. Neither has Bale though, really. Oddly enough it seems Benzema is the one working well with James currently, and also seems to have benefitted most from his presence.
Not saying he is a bad player or anything of the sort. Just that today, as well as on other occasions in the past, he was pretty useless outside of the role of a good decoy - actually, besides the PK he scored today (which is when I started watching the game), he was more detrimental to the play of his team than otherwise.
He is a great athlete and situational player, who obviously has his role and reason for being on the field but reading the game and creating for others just isn't his forte. Never has been, never will be.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Not saying he is a bad player or anything of the sort. Just that today, as well as on other occasions in the past, he was pretty useless outside of the role of a good decoy - actually, besides the PK he scored today (which is when I started watching the game), he was more detrimental to the play of his team than otherwise.
He is a great athlete and situational player, who obviously has his role and reason for being on the field but reading the game and creating for others just isn't his forte. Never has been, never will be.
I'd argue differently. His early career a Man United he was great at creating for others. And his first couple years at Real Madrid his assist numbers were quite high. It's only the last couple of years his assist numbers have plummeted. And he clearly is not being asked to create for others as a primary role. His role is to score and he's far and away the best in the world when it comes to that, over the past two years. He creates many chances for himself with his pace, his vision of the game (ie. timing runs and other such things, very good instincts), and his technique. Arguably though, he could have half a dozen assists already this year if Bale was finishing chances. Bale's finishing is woeful this year. His creating though, wonderful.

Calling CR7 a situational player is ridiculous. And suggesting his reading of the game is mediocre is pretty silly also. Whatever floats your boat though.

Every player has bad games. Ronaldo was mediocre today but only comparative to his average performance. He did score, he provided the cross that Benzema should have scored but hit the woodwork on, and his pass to James Rodriguez on the counter was what created the Benzema goal. Isco's hard work won the ball, and Ronaldo's vision and passing created the goal.

Messi was absolutely useless today. Neymar disappeared after his goal. Xavi was outplayed by a country mile by Modric.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I'd argue differently. His early career a Man United he was great at creating for others. And his first couple years at Real Madrid his assist numbers were quite high. It's only the last couple of years his assist numbers have plummeted. And he clearly is not being asked to create for others as a primary role. His role is to score and he's far and away the best in the world when it comes to that, over the past two years. He creates many chances for himself with his pace, his vision of the game (ie. timing runs and other such things, very good instincts), and his technique. Arguably though, he could have half a dozen assists already this year if Bale was finishing chances. Bale's finishing is woeful this year. His creating though, wonderful.

Calling CR7 a situational player is ridiculous. And suggesting his reading of the game is mediocre is pretty silly also. Whatever floats your boat though.

Every player has bad games. Ronaldo was mediocre today but only comparative to his average performance. He did score, and his pass to James Rodriguez on the counter was what created the Benzema goal. Isco's hard work won the ball, and Ronaldo's vision and passing created the goal.

Messi was absolutely useless today. Neymar disappeared after his goal. Xavi was outplayed by a country mile by Modric.
If you actually stopped for a moment to rethink what I wrote, you will realize that the above is, for the most part, restating the same thing, apart from where you put some words in me mouth and stated "facts" which I am pretty sure you cannot prove for the simple reason they are just your opinion :).

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
If you actually stopped for a moment to rethink what I wrote, you will realize that the above is, for the most part, restating the same thing, apart from where you put some words in me mouth and stated "facts" which I am pretty sure you cannot prove for the simple reason they are just your opinion :).
:lol:

That is pretty much the case. I didn't call anything "facts" though. Just opinion, of course. Thinking back on the game I really don't think he was that poor. He sent in the cross that Benzema headed into the woodwork, which should have been a goal. And he made the pass to James that created the Benzema goal. As well as being pretty much automatic from the Penalty spot. And like you say, his decoy action. :D He wasn't up to his usual standard, but he certainly contributed to Madrid winning imo. Even if he was a big part of why they didn't score another 2-3 goals.

Regardless, I think we probably just define "situational player" differently :)

- - - Updated - - -

On a side-note. Is Neymar starting to surpass Messi as Barcelona's most dangerous attacker? :D

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I do think Neymar is becoming better thanks Messi. Not sure if it seems that way because of the new role Messi is playing or what.

Oct 25, 2014
what we saw today is the pinnacle of european football.

the technical and attacking quality is something Serie A teams could only dream of

we will never be a threat in the UCL until we abandon this horrible and disgusting play style. Even the likes of Southampton and Villareal play somewhat decent technical football compared to the garbage we play

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
that post from the roma forum that says a serie A game and la liga game look like two different sports couldn't be any more right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 125)