[SPA] La Liga 2009/2010 (10 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Chiellini might be slightly ahead of Puyol when it comes to defending. Puyol isn't a bad defender. He's one of the top 10 CB.

But Chiellini is one of the worst defenders with the ball. He can never play the ball well. And in football, this is making a difference nowadays.
if this team actually did its job in other departments this would never be an issue, it's highlighted because we need to play a tighter game to compensate

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Maybe if we had a Pirlo in midfield he wouldn't blast the ball forward recklessly all the time, but as seen today Chiellini has no idea what he's doing in possession. Instead of taking his time with two consecutive free kicks he took them immediately and blasted them forward which resulted in lost possession. This came at a time when we needed to slow the match down and keep possession after the goal.

I love Chiellini but he's a fucking dunderhead at times with little understanding of where the ball should be played.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
He sure needs to improve his passing and ball control, but I got no problem with him clearing the ball the fuck out when in doubt.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Dunno why would that sound surprising?

Maybe not top 3 but he's surely on the top. He has everything (except brain). Organizing defense well, great marking, great in tackles and perfect in the air. You probably saw him scoring often. He only lacks better passing and calmness to be simply amazing defender. I don't think he's going to change much in that aspect, though. We just need find him a good partner who's more calm and good on the ground, and it's going to be perfect. We'll have one of the best CB pair in the world.

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2,971
    Maybe if we had a Pirlo in midfield he wouldn't blast the ball forward recklessly all the time, but as seen today Chiellini has no idea what he's doing in possession. Instead of taking his time with two consecutive free kicks he took them immediately and blasted them forward which resulted in lost possession. This came at a time when we needed to slow the match down and keep possession after the goal.

I love Chiellini but he's a fucking dunderhead at times with little understanding of where the ball should be played.
    Even if we have 10 Pirlo's, you still need defenders capable of holding the ball, passing it properly and not panicking whenever a player is 4meters behind them.

Chiellini will never ever be one of the best until he learns how to hold the ball, calm down and stop launching it out.

These things cost in football, the more you launch the ball out the more you give your opponents a chance to re-attack and re-organize their attack and create another opportunity to score.

Terry, Ferdinand, Carvalho, Puyol, Vidic, Pique, Pepe, Ramos etc... are not better than Chiellini defensively but are million times ahead of him when they have the ball, they barely panic, they know how to deal with themselves when they're under pressure.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    I don't agree, i think Pique is more composed, has got better positional sense and is generally a more intelligent defender than Chiellini. Given a choice between the two, i'd take Pique.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Ferdinand has a question mark over him.

He's missed large chunks of this season and looked shaky when he's played.

He has to show he is still one of the very best.

And, while Chiellini and Pique are very different in their style of defending, I consider them to be at a similarly high level.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    Even if we have 10 Pirlo's, you still need defenders capable of holding the ball, passing it properly and not panicking whenever a player is 4meters behind them.

Chiellini will never ever be one of the best until he learns how to hold the ball, calm down and stop launching it out.

These things cost in football, the more you launch the ball out the more you give your opponents a chance to re-attack and re-organize their attack and create another opportunity to score.

Terry, Ferdinand, Carvalho, Puyol, Vidic, Pique, Pepe, Ramos etc... are not better than Chiellini defensively but are million times ahead of him when they have the ball, they barely panic, they know how to deal with themselves when they're under pressure.
    As strange as it may sound but he seems to lack confidence "in general". The other day was watching that football oscar awards and chiellini clearlly looked nervous when he walk and react.

It's a personality issue more than just football IMO....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)