Highlights

First Half Highlights : Real Madrid 0-1 Sevilla
Click Here for Video

Second Half Highlights : Real Madrid 3-2 Sevilla
Click Here for Video

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Almost everyone here hates your national team. I don't, because of Capello :snoop:
I can understand to a certain extent due to the hype the Premiership gets and also our National Side, I would rather the press keep their gobs shut and let the National Side do the talking on the pitch instead of reminding us about 1966 :yawn:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I think over the past two seasons Chiellini has shown to be the better player however thats my personal opinion. I think Puyol missed Pique tonight.
Until he learns to play the ball on the ground, Chiellini will never be a better player than Puyol. Chiellini is a beast, but the handicap he has will often cost his team. Maybe a great and calm player next to him will get the best out of Giorgio.

I never rated Puyol to be among the best, though. Never liked him. Perhaps I'm still under impression of those youth days of his, in a much weaker Barcelona, when he was even a laughing stock at certain points.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
Until he learns to play the ball on the ground, Chiellini will never be a better player than Puyol. Chiellini is a beast, but the handicap he has will often cost his team. Maybe a great and calm player next to him will get the best out of Giorgio.

I never rated Puyol to be among the best, though. Never liked him. Perhaps I'm still under impression of those youth days of his, in a much weaker Barcelona, when he was even a laughing stock at certain points.
Even though Chiellini is a lamer at passing the ball it still does not take away the fact that what a defender has to do and thats defend. He reads the game better than Puyol, can handle pace alot more and even though reckless at times still the better tackler. Passing from the back aside Chiellini is the overall better player. I do agree with you that we need a calming prescence next to him.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Even though Chiellini is a lamer at passing the ball it still does not take away the fact that what a defender has to do and thats defend. He reads the game better than Puyol, can handle pace alot more and even though reckless at times still the better tackler. Passing from the back aside Chiellini is the overall better player. I do agree with you that we need a calming prescence next to him.
We painfully do.

Giorgio is the kind of defender who was probably taught that the most important thing is to keep the ball away from the box and how gifting the opponent a corner kick, foul, throw in etc is well worthy if it means that the ball isn't in the danger area. And that's cool, but I hate it that he never considers other options. He can keep the ball away from the opponents if he tries to hold it a little more or pass it to the Juve player close to him. He never does that. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Small team defenders are doing that. Rarely big team defenders do that. They do it only when there is absolutely no other option. Giorgio is doing it all the fucking time.
That's how we conceded Miccoli's goal last week and that's how we conceded more times in the past too.

He's a fucking brilliant defender. Strong, fast, reads the game well, as you said. He has all the conditions to become the world's best, but he'll never be that until he fixes that problem.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Puyol has hardly been a laughable stock over the years. He's been consistently one of Europe's best centerbacks for quite a long time, certainly one of the top ten for a long while. Some seasons I'd say he was the best.

For Spain everyone was doubting their defense in 2008 and it turned out to be one of the better ones of the Euros.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
We painfully do.

Giorgio is the kind of defender who was probably taught that the most important thing is to keep the ball away from the box and how gifting the opponent a corner kick, foul, throw in etc is well worthy if it means that the ball isn't in the danger area. And that's cool, but I hate it that he never considers other options. He can keep the ball away from the opponents if he tries to hold it a little more or pass it to the Juve player close to him. He never does that. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Small team defenders are doing that. Rarely big team defenders do that. They do it only when there is absolutely no other option. Giorgio is doing it all the fucking time.
That's how we conceded Miccoli's goal last week and that's how we conceded more times in the past too.

He's a fucking brilliant defender. Strong, fast, reads the game well, as you said. He has all the conditions to become the world's best, but he'll never be that until he fixes that problem.

Like you said it is painfully annoying at times and in fact arguably puts us under more pressure. I don't think Chiellini will change thats why it's imperative to get a Rannochia,Kjaer or even Bonucci next to him. Players who are calm on the ball and Chiellini can play a 2/3 feet pass to and let them pass it out. It certainly is one trait that I tend to look over with Chiellini due to how good of a defender he is.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He is not a better tackler than Puyol. He might mark slightly better but tackling... absolutely not.

Puyol is a beast of a player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)