Sochi 2014 (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You get the impression that the builders/architects in Sochi weren't taking this seriously.
Oh, they are ... they are. What else explains the $10 billion gold-plated ski jumps. ;)

Putin paid out about $50 billion in construction costs for the Sochi games. Vancouver paid around $7 billion in construction costs for their games in 2010. Let's just say that additional $43 billion in construction contracts didn't go to fancy toilet seats and purified water systems. :shifty:

Thank you, Russian taxpayers...

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
How long till the opening ceremony?

Oh, they are ... they are. What else explains the $10 billion gold-plated ski jumps. ;)

Putin paid out about $50 billion in construction costs for the Sochi games. Vancouver paid around $7 billion in construction costs for their games in 2010. Let's just say that additional $43 billion in construction contracts didn't go to fancy toilet seats and purified water systems. :shifty:

This is the most expensive sporting event in history. Has to be said though, most of the spending went into Sochi's almost non existing infrastructure. The city is barely recognizable now in comparison to 10 years ago. Highways, metro systems even an underground if Im not mistaken among others.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005

That's the talking point amongst people here specially younger people. The older generation like my in laws and teachers are blindly in love with Putin and everything he does. The Russian tax payers are sadly in for a treat. My teacher argues about a point that makes sense in the long run but still remains a gamble, she tells me the investment will yield profit shortly because Sochi is now firmly placed in the winter hot spots to visit... Sth like Aspens. Call me crazy but I think it will take many many years to break even with the final"released" cost standing at 50billion$ specially when you consider the current cost of flying from Moscow to Sochi which is more expensive than an international flight day to Cairo in the high season!!! Add the cost of the actual ticket to attend one of the events which is pretty hefty and I'm afraid there will be a lot of empty seats. I hope I'm wrong because while I might not agree with how Sochi was handled I feel sorry for your average Russian who could've benefited with the crazy amounts of cash that could've went to medicine, roads, pensions, etc etc

On the merchandize front things didn't go well and that's basically because it's pretty over priced!! Mind you things in Moscow are over priced so it was actually stupid from a business front to charge ridiculous amounts for Sochi merchandize.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
So will we see you on tv, Bisco? In the VIP lounges of half empty arenas? :D
i'm afraid nope, :D i have a tonne of presentations set for next week and the week after it, however i will def be watching some of the games specially hockey.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Ever tried playing hockey?
not yet :) i tried skating and it sits well with me, compared to skiing which i did yesterday with my friends and i have to tell you i admire people who can do it, bec i found it to be pretty hard and very demanding. i watched hockey several times though but sadly haven't played it should be giving it a shot soon though, along with snow boarding this is what i want to try out the most.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Despite being a man of the north I never did enough skating to really play hockey. Looks like a fun sport apart from when you have to fist fight other players.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That's the talking point amongst people here specially younger people. The older generation like my in laws and teachers are blindly in love with Putin and everything he does. The Russian tax payers are sadly in for a treat. My teacher argues about a point that makes sense in the long run but still remains a gamble, she tells me the investment will yield profit shortly because Sochi is now firmly placed in the winter hot spots to visit... Sth like Aspens. Call me crazy but I think it will take many many years to break even with the final"released" cost standing at 50billion$ specially when you consider the current cost of flying from Moscow to Sochi which is more expensive than an international flight day to Cairo in the high season!!! Add the cost of the actual ticket to attend one of the events which is pretty hefty and I'm afraid there will be a lot of empty seats. I hope I'm wrong because while I might not agree with how Sochi was handled I feel sorry for your average Russian who could've benefited with the crazy amounts of cash that could've went to medicine, roads, pensions, etc etc

On the merchandize front things didn't go well and that's basically because it's pretty over priced!! Mind you things in Moscow are over priced so it was actually stupid from a business front to charge ridiculous amounts for Sochi merchandize.
I'm sure Russia won't reap the benefits right away, but I bet it will do a lot to develop the area for the longer term. The trouble is all the cronyism and corruption paid out as part of those construction contracts.... that's money that's just going to line some fat cat pockets so they can buy Ascoli Calcio and splash out 30 million Euro contracts to sign Floro Flores.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I'm sure Russia won't reap the benefits right away, but I bet it will do a lot to develop the area for the longer term. The trouble is all the cronyism and corruption paid out as part of those construction contracts.... that's money that's just going to line some fat cat pockets so they can buy Ascoli Calcio and splash out 30 million Euro contracts to sign Floro Flores.
Maybe they can buy Giovinco for 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)