So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (8 Viewers)

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Indeed, good post. It's also funny that people bring us these arguments about loving Azzurri while they cheer on Camoranesi in Azzurri when he doesn't even know the National Anthem.

What happens if Amauri knows the anthem by heart and Mauro doesn't? Does that mean Mauro is less Italian?
I heard Camo say once on an interview that he knows the anthem but feels that if he sang it, it would not feel right, as he feels Argentinian and Italian, and is proud of his argentinian background and doesn't want to disrespect it.

I'm not arguing for or against him playing for Italy though, I believe that if the country says: you can have an Italian passport or citizenship, then that is enough for the National team.

Why did he choose Italy then? Im not saying he loves Italy etc. He could quite clearly get into the Argentine national squad, and seeing as he prefers its, why didn't he choose them?
I think Italy called for him first, and since he's been in Italy for quite some time, though it might be better for his career, as we don't have many good wingers to replace him

This issue can never be resolved.No matter how conclusive an answer may seem,there will always be a loophole that nations and players will be able to exploit.

The actual question IMO,should be 'What should make you eligible to play for a particular nation'?

Sadly,there is not an answer to this question that can be completley without controversy.

If there is a definitive answer to it,id be glad to hear it.
For every person its a different story, as some may change nationality to benefit themselves, while others choose to keep another nationality out of pride.

For example, I was born in London, to two Maltese parents, i lived in London for 10 years, while i've lived in Malta for 8 years. My mother's mother was of Italian descendancy, while my mother's father was of French descendancy. Despite this mixture, i still feel 100% Maltese, as i was brought up in a Maltese way, and since both my parents are Maltese.

Then there are occasions when footballers change nationality in order to benefit their career, for example Udo Nwoko, he is a Nigerian but he plays for Malta, he probably did this for two reasons: to play more with the national team as he has a better chance of getting into the team, and also it is easier to move to a club abroad since he would have an EU passport. In fact this player is playing in Portugal at the moment with Leixões. He was also close to moving to Reading in January, something that might not have been possible with a Nigerian passport.

As Sal said, there is no definite definition of who is eligible, but i believe that if the Government/country allow you to have a passport and be a citizen, then you can play for the national team, and if you have duel citizenship, you have to decide what is best for you, and if the country wants you.

May 22, 2007
There is a very simple answer to the problem. Once a person successfully becomes a citizen of the country in question, they can play for the nation's national team. Simple as that! If they respect the rules of citizenship and obey the laws of their new nation, they're suitable players for the national, and that's that. Simple enough, no bullshit, no laundry.

But no. Instead you have this subjective NONSENSE that is based upon bullshit logic like blood arguments causing all the problems. Fine, whatever. Let Camoranesi play for the Azzurri just because he injects his blood with pizza sauce and continue saying to the "Brazilian reject Amauri."

Bunch of flucking bullshit that makes my blood boil.
Gaining a citizenship and actually having the nationality at birth are two different things to me. To you, it isn't. Simple. salman got this one perfectly in his post, you state your opinion, I state mine and we could keep going on forever. If Amauri is selected for the national team I have no option but to support him, even if he turns out to be shit.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #144
    Then Salvatore, renounce Claudio Gentile as an Italian because he was born in Tripoli. He was Libyan at birth.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    There is a very simple answer to the problem. Once a person successfully becomes a citizen of the country in question, they can play for the nation's national team. Simple as that! If they respect the rules of citizenship and obey the laws of their new nation, they're suitable players for the national, and that's that. Simple enough, no bullshit, no laundry.

But no. Instead you have this subjective NONSENSE that is based upon bullshit logic like blood arguments causing all the problems. Fine, whatever. Let Camoranesi play for the Azzurri just because he injects his blood with pizza sauce and continue saying to the "Brazilian reject Amauri."

Bunch of flucking bullshit that makes my blood boil.
    Ok if thats your solution..would you like it if an Mongolian who has stayed in Mongolia a large chunk of his life,Was born in Mongolia,has Mongolian parents and Mongolian ancestory,becomes a citizen of the US because he marries a US woman(correct me if im wrong,but that makes a person eligible for US citizenship,no?) or stays in the US for some years of his professional career,ending up becoming a citizen of the US..and then opts to play for the US national team instead of the Mongolian NT simply because the US NT offers him a better opportunity?

You might accept him perhaps,but there will a large chunk of people who wont accept him.

The same thing applies to Azzuri fans.Dont get me wrong,i think both Camoranesi and Amauri shouldnt be allowed to play for Italy,but the 'If a person has a country's nationalaity' solution may sound logical,but there will be millions of people who wont accept this.

You cannnot have a solution to this problem that will make all parties happy.It was always remain a very controversial issue.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    If Kaka didn't play for Brazil until now and he was offered an Italian passport and a chance to play for the Italian NT at the EURO i'm sure every single one of those who don't want Amauri, would have been pleased to have Kaka and they'd have found all kinds of reasons to convince us that Kaka is eligible to play for Italy.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    I doubt that.I think what makes people support Camo's Italian jersey,more than anything else,is his Juventus jersey(which is wrong,but hey,man is a sentimental fool).I dont think anyone would have supported Kaka's claim to a place in the NT however.

Thats harsh on Azzuri fans.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    If Kaka didn't play for Brazil until now and he was offered an Italian passport and a chance to play for the Italian NT at the EURO i'm sure every single one of those who don't want Amauri, would have been pleased to have Kaka and they'd have found all kinds of reasons to convince us that Kaka is eligible to play for Italy.
    I would never have supported Kaka's place. I do not get why Andy says that all us Azzurri fans are inconsistent because we want Camo but not Amauri. I do NOT want either of them and I never have! I am still unsure about balotelli.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    The fact that you don't speak out when Camo takes the pitch in blue while saying no to Amauri is utter hypocrisy. It's obvious hypocrisy and you must be a little young to realize it then.
    Are you blind or just retarted? I will put in big letters so you can read it. NOBODY WANTED HIM AT THE BEGINNING BUT SINCE CAMO IS ALREADY ON THE DAMN NATIONAL TEAM BOOING HIM ISN'T GOING TO HELP ANYBODY!!!!!

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    Then there are occasions when footballers change nationality in order to benefit their career, for example Udo Nwoko, he is a Nigerian but he plays for Malta, he probably did this for two reasons: to play more with the national team as he has a better chance of getting into the team.
    They shouldn't change nationality because they can't get into their own national team, its stupid and makes the concept of international football more pointless.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    They shouldn't change nationality because they can't get into their own national team, its stupid and makes the concept of international football more pointless.
    EXACTLY! if you take Andy's approach then International football just becomes another version of club football. Soon they will be paying good players in poor countries to join the rich nations football teams. It in no way represents the country or the people who live there so what is the point?

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    Or people will try and do what Qatar NT tried, in getting Brazilians over at an early age in order for them to recieve Qatari citizenship, therefore making them future candidates for Qatar.

Luckily FIFA were having non of it.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #156
    Are you blind or just retarted? I will put in big letters so you can read it. NOBODY WANTED HIM AT THE BEGINNING BUT SINCE CAMO IS ALREADY ON THE DAMN NATIONAL TEAM BOOING HIM ISN'T GOING TO HELP ANYBODY!!!!!
    Good and swell. You have yourselves to blame for looking hypocritical.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #157
    His parents. What nationality were they both?
    Again, you're trying to use the foolish blood argument and heritage argument as what constitutes someone's nation. Gentile did not have Italian citizenship at birth because he was born in Libya. Therefore, your nationality at birth argument is void.

Ok if thats your solution..would you like it if an Mongolian who has stayed in Mongolia a large chunk of his life,Was born in Mongolia,has Mongolian parents and Mongolian ancestory,becomes a citizen of the US because he marries a US woman(correct me if im wrong,but that makes a person eligible for US citizenship,no?) or stays in the US for some years of his professional career,ending up becoming a citizen of the US..and then opts to play for the US national team instead of the Mongolian NT simply because the US NT offers him a better opportunity?

You might accept him perhaps,but there will a large chunk of people who wont accept him.
    I would absolutely take him on our national team if he's good. Afterall, we are a nation of immigrants, so if I don't include him in the national team I must speak out against all the other people who have came here for various reasons, including Freddy Adu. He is a US citizen now and can play for the national team.

The same thing applies to Azzuri fans.Dont get me wrong,i think both Camoranesi and Amauri shouldnt be allowed to play for Italy,but the 'If a person has a country's nationalaity' solution may sound logical,but there will be millions of people who wont accept this.

You cannnot have a solution to this problem that will make all parties happy.It was always remain a very controversial issue.
    This is the only solution. If not, then football will always be a world of hypocrisy and you'll still have players playing for the wrong teams anyway.

And national teams don't pay wages, so people should stop comparing my solution to club football.

Of course they would. But they won't admit it because many Azzurri fans are utter hypocrites.

EXACTLY! if you take Andy's approach then International football just becomes another version of club football. Soon they will be paying good players in poor countries to join the rich nations football teams. It in no way represents the country or the people who live there so what is the point?
    No it's not another version of club football. NT's don't pay bloody wages. And you should be supporting the US anyway.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #158
    I would never have supported Kaka's place. I do not get why Andy says that all us Azzurri fans are inconsistent because we want Camo but not Amauri. I do NOT want either of them and I never have! I am still unsure about balotelli.
    If you have Camo on your team, you can't say no to Amauri. You just can't. It's basically the same situation, and don't give me the pizza sauce argument again because there is no such thing as Italian blood.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    If you have Camo on your team, you can't say no to Amauri. You just can't. It's basically the same situation
    No it's not.

Again explained this enough times to you, if you cant get it by now you must be a retard, simple as that.

May 22, 2007
    Again, you're trying to use the foolish blood argument and heritage argument as what constitutes someone's nation. Gentile did not have Italian citizenship at birth because he was born in Libya. Therefore, your nationality at birth argument is void.
    Yes, he gained a Libyan citizenship but was Italian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)