Simone Pepe (23 Viewers)

Should Juve buy Pepe in the summer?

• Yes, he's useful

• No, we don't need him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
oh i agree,i was just retorting to Zlatans claim that its not a full backs job to defend those balls

I tend to disagree, shouldnt the full backs job be to stop the crosses (or the one making the cross) rather than guarding the box and trying to head the ball away? In either case, a full back should never have to mark the center forward, especially one almost 20 cm higher.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I tend to disagree, shouldnt the full backs job be to stop the crosses (or the one making the cross) rather than guarding the box and trying to head the ball away? In either case, a full back should never have to mark the center forward, especially one almost 20 cm higher.

Nah man, it's not that simple. Pepe had to improvise when he saw the cross coming in. It's not like he was marking Zlatan the whole time. He needed to in the case. It wasn't a set piece where everyone had a chance to take their man. It was a play in action, and our CB's were caught out of position, they were playing zone marking instead of man marking. And Pepe was the closest player to Zlatan. He tried to stop him with his strength but failed miserably.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Pepe didn't really try to use strength.

He just tried to jump to head the ball.

What he should have tried to do was to ignore the ball and just jump into Ibrahimovic to try and put him off.

It still probably wouldn't have worked, though.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Pepe didn't really try to use strength.

He just tried to jump to head the ball.

What he should have tried to do was to ignore the ball and just jump into Ibrahimovic to try and put him off.

It still probably wouldn't have worked, though.

I think he was trying to use his strength, but the fact that Ibra made him look like a 12 year old girl made it look like he was going for the header.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Nah man, it's not that simple. Pepe had to improvise when he saw the cross coming in. It's not like he was marking Zlatan the whole time. He needed to in the case. It wasn't a set piece where everyone had a chance to take their man. It was a play in action, and our CB's were caught out of position, they were playing zone marking instead of man marking. And Pepe was the closest player to Zlatan. He tried to stop him with his strength but failed miserably.

I agree he had to do it in this case, I'm just saying that he cant really be blamed for not being able to stop Zlatan from scoring, since it was the misstake of the centre backs that made Pepe mark Zlatan.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
it's not that straightforward,the 2 CB's cannot simply stand in the centre of goal waiting for crosses to come in,mthey whole back 4 needs to be a unit,if one goes right,they all shift across.

look at it this way,if you have 2 wide attacking midfielders it is the same principle. when Pepe is running down the wing looking to make a cross into the box,one forward will go front post,the other forward will come central and Krasic would tuck in a little towards the edge of the box in case a loose ball misses the forwards.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
it's not that straightforward,the 2 CB's cannot simply stand in the centre of goal waiting for crosses to come in,mthey whole back 4 needs to be a unit,if one goes right,they all shift across.

look at it this way,if you have 2 wide attacking midfielders it is the same principle. when Pepe is running down the wing looking to make a cross into the box,one forward will go front post,the other forward will come central and Krasic would tuck in a little towards the edge of the box in case a loose ball misses the forwards.

I agree that it's not that straightforward, but IMO it's the rule, because you can expect a full back to properly mark a centre forward. Would, say, Dani Alves be able to mark Zlatan on a header?

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Bargain Prices. Smart Deals.Save on Anhk Royalty Clothing.Ankh Royalty Wholesale t-shirts,Ankh Royalty jeans,Replica Ankh Royalty cheap Ankh Royalty Discount Best Value for Ankh Royalty.Find ajxwholesale.net Sellers Lowest Price!Save up to 82% on Egyptian Dress Bargains! Wholesale Ankh Royalty Below Bargains Low Prices where can i find cheap name Ankh Royalty brand Clothes?
:lol: I love the smiley next to the title.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)