[Serie A] Udinese 0-0 JUVENTUS (21-Dec- 2011) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Pepe still shouldn't have been played there. He was ok but the fact that Matri was given no real creative support throughout the entire game is testimony to his shitness. It makes little sense to me to play Pepe in that role when we have two much more capable and creative strikers on our bench.

As for Vidal he was by far our best midfielder. Its hard for opposition midfielders to find any space when Vidal is everywhere and that's exactly what happened.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Thursday December 22 2011

Points of reference

The goals were the only thing missing from Week 1’s most intriguing match. Rob Paton writes on Juventus’ trip to Udinese.

Pre-match attention on the top-of-the-table clash between Juventus and Udinese centred on tactics – the speculation was that Antonio Conte was considering a formation change. For a team that had seemingly perfected their understanding and application of a 4-1-4-1 variant in their so-far-unbeaten run, Conte’s wish to switch to a 3-5-1-1 to mirror Udinese was a move that came with a risk. Indeed, the biggest threat to the Bianconeri’s record of not losing this season came the one and only other time they had used a three-man defence, when facing Napoli in Week 11’s rearranged fixture.

What’s more, where the intention was the same as against Napoli, to reflect their opponents’ use of a back-three, this time it was against a more in-form side in Francesco Guidolin’s men, one that had won all seven of its home games this season.

However, given that the game produced few items of notable highlight, focus after it deservedly falls on the calculated gamble Conte took. As La Gazzetta dello Sport exclaimed afterwards: 'What traffic in the middle!’ Conte’s decision had the effect of cancelling out the Zebrette’s movement in midfield – each Udinese man had a direct opponent whilst the key dangermen of Antonio Di Natale, Pablo Armero, Mauricio Isla and Dusan Basta often found themselves up against two markers.

Resultantly, Udinese created just nine chances in the game – their lowest of the season – and managed their joint-lowest number of shots on target from inside the area. The calendar year has seen few teams prevent Udinese from scoring – only the Milanese clubs have netted more goals in 2011 – but such was Juve’s discipline in an otherwise unfamiliar state, that the best chances in fact fell their way.

Giorgio Chiellini spoke of the performance proving a point, as much as earning one. Indeed, whilst the literal point ensured the Old Lady finish the year as joint-winter champions, the existential point made is perhaps the more significant one looking ahead.

There were finer elements to the tactical switch that, as were also seen in Naples, suggest it remains something that needs work. This ranged from Gianluigi Buffon struggling to find suitable options when with the ball at his feet, to Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio and Arturo Vidal struggling for space in the middle of the park. At the same time, the requirement for wingers Stephan Lichtsteiner and Marcelo Estigarribia to pull right back when without the ball had the effect of pulling the midfield back too and generally presenting a much deeper Juve than we have seen this year. The most prominent victim of this was perhaps Alessandro Matri, who at the other end of the pitch struggled to adapt to a game-plan that often saw support later and less frequent in arriving than previous this season.

However, for the context of this being only Conte’s 29th career match as a Coach in Serie A and only his 16th with the Turin outfit, minor details can be excused. That Juventus were able to effectively shut out Udinese for 90 minutes and become the first team to both stop the Zebrette from scoring and winning at the Stadio Friuli this season was testament to Conte’s coaching and his players’ concentration to see out this unfamiliar tactic. Indeed, should Juve still be in a title race come late April, the reasons why can be attributed as much to performances like this as to recent tests of their attacking nous.

That the 0-0 can be considered a good and significant result despite the historical disparity between the two teams in Serie A is an equally sure reflection of where the likes of Juve and most likely joint leaders Milan now see Udinese. Right on their tailcoats.

Udinese’s success in the 3-5-1-1 system and Juve’s chameleon charm to seemingly master it inside two attempts points towards why these two are at the top of the League. Similarly, it is what Milan are chasing towards too – a lack of clear reference points for opponents to target. However, creating the illusion of a lack of reference points in a team comes only with a full first XI that can apply the specific, almost clockwork movement required.

This was best highlighted in the Rossoneri’s struggles to create chances or even keep the ball for long spells against Cagliari on Tuesday night. Without full-backs Ignazio Abate and Luca Antonini, Milan gave away that their attacking line-up can still be nullified by an organised back-line. Indeed, without the regular option to stretch Davide Ballardini’s team with a run from wide, it took a goalkeeping error and a moment of mastered control from Zlatan Ibrahimovic to prove the difference. It was a game that suggests the moves for Carlos Tevez and Maxi Lopez are more of a necessity than previously thought.

Whilst the biggest game on Wednesday finished goalless, six of that evening’s fixtures shared a staggering 29 goals between them. Napoli recorded their biggest win of the year whilst Inter won by three goals in Serie A for the first time in nine-and-a-half months in both sides’ best performances of the season to date. Atalanta also proved their mental resilience with a 4-1 win over Cesena in an otherwise distracting week to end the season.

FI

Good article.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I finally have a few days off, so I can make some comments here.....

I was neither satisfied with the draw, the teams performance, or our coaches decisions

If one thing was proven by Udinese, its that if you use continuous pressure against us in our zone when we have the ball, and keep the midfield congested, then we will have a mountain of problems coming forward and scoring goals..... not to mention the giveaways we commit under pressure, which will eventually lead to goals against us

Conte really disappointed me with the team formation as well as his tactics during the game. I never thought we should "mirror" what Udinese was doing (unless he was looking for a draw, which he was satisfied with), using a 3 man defense. Udinese is used to this formation, week after week, and Conte decides to try to beat them at their own game ??? Sorry guys, he wasnt looking for the win, he lied.

Further confirmation of my suspicion was with the substitution of Esta for De Ceglie. Let me first mention that Esta had a SHITTY game, giving the ball away too many times. Like I said before, he is average at best, and I dont think he is going to improve any more than what you already see.

If Conte really wanted the win, why didnt he bring in Giac or Elia, both attacking players, instead of DC, a natural defender, who really is not much better in defense than he is going forward ???

Should I also be asking the question WHY hasnt Elia been given a start yet, or even played at all for that matter ??? We spent alot of money on this kid, and I dont buy the "he needs time to settle" bulllshit that they are dishing out to us. Does he need a half a fucking season to settle ??? Can he be much worse that Esta ??? This could be MaROTa's worst bit of business this year, and with an expensive mistake like that, he should be immediately fired !!!

Dare I mention Pepe ??? All luck and pace, NO fucking skills. I still believe that Krasic is better, and it would be a BIG mistake to let this kid go.

Conte can talk about Juve DNA and winning all he wants, but this team has flaws, and its biggest one may be his small minded coaching and tactics.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Udinese away is as tough an away game as we will face this season, they have won every home game and only conceeded 2 goals, Conte did very well and we could have nicked the game had Cheesio scored one of his efforts, we did very well the other night, Vinman your post is way off from the truth.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Udinese away is as tough an away game as we will face this season, they have won every home game and only conceeded 2 goals, Conte did very well and we could have nicked the game had Cheesio scored one of his efforts, we did very well the other night, Vinman your post is way off from the truth.
nothing like a new guy (1000 posts...really ??) trying to tell me how things are. We were never really a threat to Udinese, and Conte showed everyone that all he wanted was a point from this game.

Rewatch the game, take some notes, and listen to what I'm saying, and you may just make it here, newbie

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
nothing like a new guy (1000 posts...really ??) trying to tell me how things are. We were never really a threat to Udinese, and Conte showed everyone that all he wanted was a point from this game.

Rewatch the game, take some notes, and listen to what I'm saying, and you may just make it here, newbie

What's my post count got to do with anything? Ive been here since 2006 (on and off I'll easily admit), you have nearly 12,000 posts and all of them could be utter shit, but like I said, post counts don't matter.

Conte made the decision to try and neutralize Udinese, which we achieved, things could have been very different had we Mirko on the pitch, I dont see what your complaining about, it's not as if we are a world class team who went to Udine and cancelled them out, we're a team on the up who did a very good job at stopping them from scoring. Job well done in my view.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

:lol2:

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
What's my post count got to do with anything? Ive been here since 2006 (on and off I'll easily admit), you have nearly 12,000 posts and all of them could be utter shit, but like I said, post counts don't matter.

Conte made the decision to try and neutralize Udinese, which we achieved, things could have been very different had we Mirko on the pitch, I dont see what your complaining about, it's not as if we are a world class team who went to Udine and cancelled them out, we're a team on the up who did a very good job at stopping them from scoring. Job well done in my view.
+ rep for the way you bitchslapped his arrogant ass in the opening line of that post :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)