Serie A teams could go Bankrupt???? (1 Viewer)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
This is from espnstar.com

Italy's football clubs threatened by EU probe plan.

Rome, (AFP)- Some of Italy's most famous football clubs could go bankrupt if the EU commission rules that a government decree allowing them to spread their debts over 10 years contravenes European law. The issue is believed to be high on the agenda when the Commission meets in Brusslels on November 11th.

EU Competition Commisioner Mario Monti has been considering an investigation into the 'Salva Calcio' (Save Football) amendment which was passed by Italy's lower house of parliament back in February as a lifeline for debt-ridden clubs in the top two divisions.

Several of these are listed on the Milan stock exchange, including European champions AC Milan, Inter Milan, Lazio and Roma, and have used the amendment to write off huge losses related to the fall in players' values on the transfer market.

Inter has written off player value to the tune of 319 million euros, AC Milan for 242 million euros, Roma for 234 million and Lazio for 213 million. Italian champions Juventus are the ONLY CLUB:D:D not to have exploited the decree.

Monti is concerned the amendment is a form of aid from the Italian government that gives the country's clubs an unfair advantage over their european rivals. Under European law, all other companies and businesses are given a standard three-year period over which to spread their debts.

If the 'Salva Calcio' decree is deemed illegal by the Comission, which has the power to influence the national laws of its 15 members, many of Italy's clubs could in theory go out of business.

On Monday, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) held talks with its members to discuss ways of putting its house in order before any action is taken by the EU Commission.

Soaring transfer fees, spiralling player's wages and the deployment of more police at Italy's often violent stadiums have all added to the pressure on clubs such as Inter, where star striker Christian Vieri is paid a whopping 5.2 million euros a year.

Last season Serie A, Italy's first division, suffered operating losses of 948 million Euros, with players' wages eating up 85 per cent of revenue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, need I say more??

Serie A could be in very big trouble.

Thoughts, anyone??

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
BUt if all the other teams as AC MIlan, Roma , Lazio and Inter fall..... this could be the ned of serie A.. or at least... well you just can imagine.....

Why the spanish teams dont have this kind of troubles??

Luckily we have a good management team.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
correction: Sampdoria, Bologna and Juventus are the only teams
that hasn't used this salva-calcio thing!

When I first read about it on the newspaper today, I almost started to
panic. OMG Juve in trouble too??? The last part of the article they
wrote about Juve not using this method...

oooo what a relief!!!!

Since Berlusconi is on the list, I mean Milan ;)
I assume there will be a solution to this problem...

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
urm....... sori, i don't really understand this 'Salva Calcio' works. :confised: Could some explain it? :)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
1. In Italy many teams in Serie A and B were in financial trouble.

2. To help, the Save Football amendment was passed by the Italian parliament. This law helps spread the debts of the team over 10 years to ease the load.

3. the EU Competition commissioner thinks its unfair because it gives the italian teams an advantage which other teams dont have so they are investigating it and want to close it down.

4. if it is closed down many major teams will be screwed. Milan, Inter, Lazio and Roma in particular.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++

2. To help, the Save Football amendment was passed by the Italian parliament. This law helps spread the debts of the team over 10 years to ease the load.

3. the EU Competition commissioner thinks its unfair because it gives the italian teams an advantage which other teams dont have so they are investigating it and want to close it down.

4. if it is closed down many major teams will be screwed. Milan, Inter, Lazio and Roma in particular.
aaah, no they won't something will be done. and why that commisioner doesn;t check on real madrid and king of spain affairs. i believe those deals give real even bigger advantge against others.

Sep 28, 2002
i dont care really. ok, they'll go bankrupt, will be relegated to serie c2 and in three years they'll be back to top flight. at least del piero will get the third star he wants.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++

Thanks LAC :kiss:

But i don't think they will allow these teams to go bankrupt. Sooo much money will be lost if such huge clubs don't play in Serie A and CL.

They may remove this amendment, but perhelps not with immediate effect. Maybe some thing like .... the amendment is clossed down with immediate effect. The teams can no longer use it, but they do have XXX no. of yrs to clear their lasts outstanding debts.

Am i making sense?? Have i understood this thing right??? :undecide: :p :LOL:

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
would be nice to have enough stars to suround the entire logo don't u think?? :D

ok ok..... i know..... over exagerating for the moment ..... :mute:

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
would be nice to have enough stars to suround the entire logo don't u think?? :D

ok ok..... i know..... over exagerating for the moment ..... :mute:

where are the compliments for my masterpiece?:irritate:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Well,, if that happens i will see the rise of teams like parma, Udinese and Siena as the new stars in europe :D

But like LAC said... it will be a huge blow for the serie A... and for its business... Just imagine.... Juve smashing all the teams... with no competition.

No more super classics, no more action.... just Juve destroying.
We would trabnsform in what real madrid is in spain.

Maybe all this teams will return to the serie A... but after 3 years of low tv ratings for the league...and maybe they will go bankrupt and end the society... who could be very bad.

I think that is kind of unffair... because those teams have an advantage over the other ones that are not uding it... and why if juve, being a big gun, is surviving without it??. It must be a lesson for them,.... and to know how to spend their money.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
worst case scenary, all those teams go bankrupt and juve wins the scudetto for the next 10 years. i dont see the big problem there.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Well of course not..... but the people that are not juve fans will be bored of seeing juve wins :p

And there are a lot of inter,roma and milan fans around the world.. all of them will lost interest in the league....maybe even the countries who pay to show tha serie A.. will stop buying the rights.

Well but other teams like parma and udinese will gain lot of opportunities and money in the CL. They can even become the new big houses..

but that means to throw teams that are like a tradition for the serie A to the Garbage can :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)