Serie A: Siena vs Juventus [May 4 , 2008] (1 Viewer)

BillyG

Caribbean Ultra
Nov 25, 2006
I would like to see tiago & momo for the last 3 games in the middle. give him a decent run in the team with the pressure off.

I tink he might be useful to keep around for nex season as well seeing that he is one of the few players we own who has played in europe before and IMO wud be better suited to help us in CL

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Serie A Preview: Siena - Juventus

What: Serie A - Matchday 36
Who: Siena (15th, 39 points) vs. Juventus (3rd, 70 points)
When: Sunday 4 May 2008, 15:00 CET
Where: Stadio Artemio Franchi (SI)

Siena looking to secure survival

Forty points is generally considered as the dream target for survival in Serie A and Siena fall just short of that mark with three games left to play. While a point here at home would not mathematically guarantee survival, it would mean that il Robur would be all but certain to play their sixth season of Serie A in 2008-09.

For a club from such a small town, and surrounded by more illustrious neighbours such as Fiorentina, to be competitive in what is arguably the greatest league in the world is truly an impressive feat and something all people who hail from the city of Siena can take pride in.

In recent weeks Siena have not taken maximum points but a solid series of draws has earnt them the vital points that separate them from serious relegation trouble.

In Juventus, they are facing a world class outfit but in the knowledge that every point edges them closer to survival, Siena will feel quietly confident in getting a positive result out of this clash.

Second still not out of Old Lady’s reach

Juventus are currently five points short of second place and direct qualification to the UEFA Champions League group stage. With a ten point gap over fourth, they only have one aim left this season.

The Bianconeri are playing some great football at the moment and the goals are flowing with nine in just two games. Alessandro Del Piero is charging towards a place in the Azzurri’s European Championship squad and he and the Juve attack have made both the Atalanta and Lazio defence look second rate in the last two weeks.

Second place still remains in the hands of Roma however, and only a Giallorosso slip-up can see Juve take it. All the Old Lady can do is maintain the winning form which has them as arguably the most inform side in Italy at the moment.

On paper they have a far greater side than their Tuscan opposition however they will no doubt be wary of the dangerous threat that relegation battlers pose as they look to secure survival and will no doubt find it tougher to break down Siena than they did against Lazio.

FORM GUIDE

Siena

Napoli-Siena 0 - 0 27/04/2008 SERIE A

Siena-Genoa 0 - 1 20/04/2008 SERIE A

Lazio-Siena 1 - 1 13/04/2008 SERIE A

Siena-Udinese 1 - 1 6/04/2008 SERIE A

Livorno-Siena 0 - 0 30/03/2008 SERIE A

Juventus

Juventus - Lazio 5 - 2 27/04/2008 SERIE A

Atalanta - Juventus 0 - 4 20/04/2008 SERIE A

Juventus - Parma 3 - 0 16/04/2008 SERIE A

Juventus - Milan 3 - 2 12/04/2008 SERIE A

Palermo - Juventus 3 - 2 06/04/2008 SERIE A

TEAM NEWS

Siena

The Tuscans will be without Manuel Coppola due to suspension while Bertotto is out with injury. Coach Beretta is likely to go with Inter transfer target Tomas Locatelli behind Mario Frick and Massimo Maccarone, although young Fernando Forestieri may get his chance.

Possible Starting XI : Manninger; Rossettini, Loria, Portanova, De Ceglie; Vergassola, Codrea, Galloppa; Locatelli; Frick, Maccarone

Juventus

Juve are without Calabrese striker Vincenzo Iaquinta and Portuguese defender Jorge Andrade. La Vecchia’s Signora’s forward line is the best in Italy at the moment and Del Piero and Trezeguet will of course partner each other up front, with an unchanged midfield lineup, although, Tiago may come into the starting lineup for Zanetti.

Possible Starting XI : Buffon; Grygera, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Molinaro; Camoranesi, Sissoko, Zanetti, Nedved; Del Piero, Trezeguet

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Paolo De Ceglie (Siena)

Left sided player on loan from Juventus has been extremely impressive this season for the Tuscans and will most likely be a part of Juve’s squad next season, as they look to challenge for the Scudetto and Champions League. He will no doubt be eager to show Claudio Ranieri and La Vecchia Signora just how good he is becoming.

Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus)

Del Piero cannot stop scoring and after a hat-trick in Bergamo and making the Lazio defence look like schoolchildren, his sights will remain firmly focused on a place in Roberto Donadoni’s squad for EURO 2008.

PREDICTION

Siena have had a good record of draws recently but Juventus are in fine form and with the likes of Del Piero and Trezeguet upfront, the northern giants will be too strong here.

Siena 1-2 Juventus

goal.com

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I'm very annoyed that people are still suggesting that Del piero should furthermore convince Donadoni, like he has done absolutely nothing. He should be in the Euros regardless of what happens in the next three games, he deserves it.

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
I'm very annoyed that people are still suggesting that Del piero should furthermore convince Donadoni, like he has done absolutely nothing. He should be in the Euros regardless of what happens in the next three games, he deserves it.
exatly, i mean, if donadoni is so dumb not to call del piero and f*cking put him in his starting eleven, then he has a serious mental illness. Del Piero does NOT need a game against siena or cagliari to prove he's worth it. Even a blind sees that. I have heard a lot of people, even inter fans saying he's the best in the forward department all over italy. I'm pretty sure he'll go to the euro, even if he does not play tomorrow :D if not, than the game tomorrow won't change that either.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
exatly, i mean, if donadoni is so dumb not to call del piero and f*cking put him in his starting eleven, then he has a serious mental illness. Del Piero does NOT need a game against siena or cagliari to prove he's worth it. Even a blind sees that. I have heard a lot of people, even inter fans saying he's the best in the forward department all over italy. I'm pretty sure he'll go to the euro, even if he does not play tomorrow :D if not, than the game tomorrow won't change that either.
I agree that he shouldn't have to impress Donadoni but it certainly wouldn't hurt his cause. People seem certain that Donadoni will choose Del Piero but I am not sure he will. Don't get me wrong if I was Donadoni, Del Piero would be second only to Toni on my list of callups for the euros but we all know Donadoni's team selections aren't the best.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Players like Tiago and Palladino who are most likely to get sold this summer should have one last chance to prove their worth. In some games they have showed that they are indeed talented players, their only problem was consistency.
We have three games left, I say we should play them these last three games so we could at least sell them with no regrets.

pavelnedved

official nedved copy
Jul 15, 2006
Players like Tiago and Palladino who are most likely to get sold this summer should have one last chance to prove their worth. In some games they have showed that they are indeed talented players, their only problem was consistency.
We have three games left, I say we should play them these last three games so we could at least sell them with no regrets.
yes. definitely palladino who barely got any chances in his natural position.

Mafia

Pinturicchio
Jul 21, 2006
Sounds good to me, ive been hoping that ranieri would give them some minutes, but so far no luck.

dao_nq

Feb 6, 2008
I hope we Paladino and Tiago will score today because I'd like to see them at Juve next season, especially Paladino. And yes, Iaquinta too.

3-0 for Juve. Paladino, Tiago, Iaquinta, each will score :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)