[SERIE A] JUVENTUS vs Roma (11/01/08) (1 Viewer)

Man of the Match

• Molinaro

• Tiago

• Del Piero

• Legro

• Nedved

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Virtual, i ll repeat it one more time for you and try to remember please,
that i am not a football manager player, thank you!

In case you missed, since i havent seen you lately, i did praise CR, when given the chance!
But only when i was sure about his choices and i even did so, despite the common momentary beliefs.
But this straight 4-4-2 with 2 DMs, really is an issue for me and i am not going to praise CR yet, because he had proven to me many times over, that this was not his personal choices!

And just try to find another argument, you have repeated many times over, that we boast that we are better than CR and we would have done better,
i never said and however did that, was def meant that as ironic.
Meaning that he cant do anything worse than that anyway.
That doesnt change the fact though, that as fans we cant have an opinion,
we have been closely following our clubs for decades and we have seen hundred of players and system come and go, so as many coaches and tactics.
It is not entirely impossible to foretell a situation, when you have seen this again.
And we dont have all to personally be better coaches than CR, to understand that, some other coach would have done better.
We have seen better coaches than CR, we have seen their reactions, their tactics, their gameplans, their choices, spend a hell of a lot of time with sport experts and red trillions of professional pre+after match reports.
We are mot that clueless not to tell we can do better.
This argument is getting old, i am not going to give my blind faith on CR, only because he can do this job better than i can.
With the same logic, i cannot judge the performances of any player, because he is a professional player and he can play football better than i do...
I told you before, we are here to discuss issues about Juve, we are taking any kind of decisions here.
You view may be that a fan should passively accept and obey/worship anything that it comes from his favorite team and there is not reason for criticism because we cannot directly affect our team.
But i do personally find this blind love as useless as our criticism, as long as our team cannot directly benefit from it!
If i do praise CR, will wake up in the morning with a bigger smile at his face?
No! Same happens if i dont...
So i ask you again, whats the reason, you are participating in this forum?

As for Giovinco, the reason seems to be simply and we have discussed this using some logical conclusion, but it doesnt really maters, does it??
Afterall, what do we really know?? CR knows better, isnt he??
No reason to discuss that...

:tup:

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
what benefit came from your/anyone else's criticism? you think Ranieri comes here and reads your opinions? do you think Secco is scanning the "I want this player to Juve" thread? or perhaps Gigli is planning a lawsuit against the FIGC because of what he read in the Farsopoli thread...the answer to all of that is NO, so stop being annoying and repetitive with your negative posts

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
what benefit came from your/anyone else's criticism? you think Ranieri comes here and reads your opinions? do you think Secco is scanning the "I want this player to Juve" thread? or perhaps Gigli is planning a lawsuit against the FIGC because of what he read in the Farsopoli thread...the answer to all of that is NO, so stop being annoying and repetitive with your negative posts
really, they dont come here and read our posts ??:rolleyes:

Ahmed, whats the point of having a forum if we cant discuss our concerns with others ??

if its so bothersome, why read our posts ?

just stick to Lampard, and that other freak vitu73959, or whatever the fuck he's called posts where its a sunny day no matter how bad we play

let me know how those rose colored glasses fit :eyebrows:

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Dear Adnan, i dont know if you have been around and happened to notice my posts and my views in these matters, i have extensively explained my views on these matters, that are in question right now.
Although i dont have a problem to repeat my self, so that you and every other Juventino have the opportunity to share my views.
However, there are few members,(like Jack:cookie: ) who criticize me for that. Because they know what i have to say and they dont have the patience to go through this again...
So if i will not analyze my view in detail, feel free to ask for smth i fail to explain properly, but since respect every ones opinion and judgment, i feel obligated to evolve myself with a discussion that might appear as repetition to some...
Besides this why i am here for, to discuss with my fellow Juventini for the issues of our team;

Yes, Capello did used this flat 4-4-2 using two DMs, naming Emerson and Vieira or lower some occasional lower material Defensive Midfielders.
And yes he won with them ,but that doesnt proves anything today, as it does not applies in our current situation!
DMs; Those players have no creativity skills, their first and outmost priority is to defend and shut down our midfield, destroying our opponents gameplay!
Back on Capello's days, in our wings we had some of the best wingers in the world. A younger Neddy and a younger Camo. They could create enough chances, so that we could overwhelm the lesser teams and even triumph against similar or better teams,
defending with two lines, or world class midfielders and world class defenders
and creating some dangerous counterattacks, with Neddy's and Camo's runs and Zambro's crosses.
Naturally this world class team could overcome most of the serie A team, we were by far the best team in the league, material wise and this double defense allowed very very few teams to beat or resist against us.
Therefore we dominated the championship!
BUT, on the other hand, even then, there were voices against who opted for an alternative plan. Because this effective but one dimensional plan, simply failed against an organized defensive team. Our players couldnt go past their defenses and their only hope was to try those desperate and hopeless long balls.
The need for a a playmaker, an AMF if you like, or a third forward was born.
But still Crapello instisted on the same scheme no matter the adversary.
This formation encourages long balls, because our central midfielders cannot dribble or pass, since they are not equipped for this job.
If our adversaries shut down our wings, we are totally cut of, our forward cannot communicate with our midfield because of the unpenetrable wall that stands between them and our midfield.
So our midfielders and wing backs only had one choice, to cross!!!
This tactic can be efficient in teams, esp designed to apply this game,
like the EPL teams, but we cannot be as effective as they are, because this is the only thing they are capable of and they can do it best!!
So if we were about to face a quality team, that knows how to defends and uses the crosses and the air game to their advantage, we were totally hopeless.
despite Lazio and occasionally Milan, the only teams able to deliver such a game where the rising EPL teams in the CL.
Liverpool only proved that theory, even if we were to play 100 games with them, we couldnt win by using their tactics, despite the fact that we had a marginally material advantage.
So this tactic met her limits. It failed under the best possible conditions.
Having the best players and the best coach to apply wasnt enough.

HOW THE HELL, WILL BE ENOUGH TODAY???
We have a mediocre team, with a mediocre coach and (bar a few our aging champions) mediocre material!
What are we expecting to win with this tactic???
Even then we couldnt react and deliver any more then our standard performance, but that was enough to beat most of the middle to good serie A team and handle as the championship.
With this material, it is not enough anymore! We have to adapt!!!

DD also used the same tactic, he was a young inexperienced coach, who was probably afraid to make his own formation and since he had the remnants of a champions team in his hands and still the best quality team in serie B, he also opted for this scheme!

BUT we are back in serie A now, without the abundance of champions we once had. We need to adapt and as our managers said, we need to bring the people back to the stadium, playing attractive football.
Gigli said that playing offensive football is our priority and even if that means to sacrifice smth of our solidarity.
This is the very reason we refuse to fix our midfield and buy a new high profile forward every year!
We need to adapt and build a new team, we have new funds and a 5year plan/period to build up a new strong and competitive Juve.

CR failed miserable to meet our main objectives, our priorities,
his coaching makes as struggle against inferior team and we depend to the determination and the brilliance of our aging champions to go forward.
But they cant do that forever.
What happens when they retire???
Those champions have been through hell and back, they were eager to prove that they are champions, even without Moggi, this is why DP, Neddy, Treze and Buffon took us from the hand and guided us to a CL qualification spot single handed.

CR was trying hard to stop them down, but they had to overcome him and his tactics and deliver miracles.
This cant go on forever though.
We keep bringing mediocre players and our champions percentage has been dangerously deluded, we need to create a new team, able to deliver without those stars. Without Neddy running up and down for 90' and DP scoring those extraterrestrial FKs.
We need to come up with a tactical plan, to give our player a specific role, when most of them right know running like headless chicken when they are having the ball, because they simply dont know what to do with it!
A CM, or AMF or even an offensive DM, would balance our team, help us go forward more effectively, link our forward line with the rest of our team
and force our opponents to pull back, when facing a multi-dimensional attacking front, who threatens their team from all directions, both the flank and the middle,
thats exactly what we did for the last matches, with Neddy and Tiago orchistrating our midfield!!
We got the results we were missing and everybody agrees its any eye candy too!
In my eyes and others, it was painfully obvious that this was the solution and we have been waiting for this for ages!!
I will def not praise CR for denying us this formation all this time and only use it now, because our injuries forced his hand to do so!!!
But i will praise if his open his eyes and realize, that this is the way to go and keep using this formation, when the rest of our defensive midfielders return from injuries!

We dont have Ronaldos and Robbens, so dont compare us with Real and Manure,
we dont even have Camo atm and Neddy cannot be our hero and deliver us each and every single game, creating what our DMs and wing backs cant and defending where Molinaro and the rest of hilarious defense cant!
We are supposed to find a permanent solution and not quick fixes!
This formation has been proved problematic, both last year and this year.
And it also failed in Europe, under the best possible conditions!
It serves us with no advantages, for the present or the future, it is totally pointless to keep on like that. But CR insists on this and i will def not praise him for that, because he is responsible for single point point we have lost because of his tactical choice!
Last year he had his chance to experiment and try out this scheme,
but it failed and he dialed to realize that and fix it!
There is nothing else i need to see here, he has always been a loser and we can see that there is a very good reason behind that!!

So, allow me not praise him, for his mistakes, these victories only proved him wrong in my eyes!
And there is no time praise no one yet, we have only won 18 points in 10 match days, almost the half possible we could, at this rate we wont make it to the CL positions!
We still have a post x-mas crisis ahead, that almost cost us the season last year
and this time, have you forgotten how much we did struggled after the second part of the season last year? And if it wasnt for the fact the our opponents lost more points than us, we wouldnt be in the CL.
We wont fight with the determination of the fallen champions, because we proved our point last year!
Lucky for us Milan last year and Roma this year are a mere shadow of themselves!
But we must look at ourselves first and improve as a team,
we cant depend on them sucking every year, we have to stand up and i am afraid that CR is not the man for job!
I only brought up the capello and manu as an example, i wasn't comparing this team to their team as that would be idiotic. I am just merely pointing out the fact that the system could work if deployed with the right personnel. I know how that team worked, and i reiterate the point about players with different characteristics. How many assists did zanetti provide us last season? and how many assists and even goals did Viera provide ( as bad as he was) ? You can't simply use a universal phrase for all players. I know the formation relies heavily on the wingers, the forwards and the full backs but you need to examine every game differently. There is no one size fits all in this, as every game is different. I agree that we need some sort of organiser in the middle, but doesn't necessarily mean a tiago as a defensive mid could also provide us that.

About the formation and tactics. Well we all know CR is no world beater but you need to take every game on it's merit. If you are going to dwell on the Sampadoria game from last season then we will get nowhere. We are progressing well and he deserves credit, you can't fault him for the losses and draw when half the team were ghosts on the field but don't give him any credit when we win.

We are not in the easiest of situations here, we are fixing an airplane while its still in flight. Its easy to go ahead and say, ok we should have rebuilt this squad last year or the year before or even in Serie B. But its very difficult, we needed to get back to winning ways instantly. If we had to rebuilt this squad last year then we wouldn't be talking about the CL match against Real but a Uefa Cup game against whoever. A good example are Fiorentina and even Roma. The Viola have been rebuilding for a while but are still way behind all the teams in the top even though they have a lot of resources they could utilise and they as active in the transfer market as any of the top teams.

We are not out of the sheds, not by a mile. But we are not in that bad of a situation either. Look at the recent results and have a close look at the line ups we have put out. Even our reserve players are playing well and stepping up. Look on the bright side buddy or you will be very tired by x-mas.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
really, they dont come here and read our posts ??:rolleyes:

Ahmed, whats the point of having a forum if we cant discuss our concerns with others ??

if its so bothersome, why read our posts ?

just stick to Lampard, and that other freak vitu73959, or whatever the fuck he's called posts where its a sunny day no matter how bad we play

let me know how those rose colored glasses fit :eyebrows:
of course dude, everyone is most welcome to voice their concerns, but saying the same thing over and over and over and over again can become a little tedious, wouldn't you say? even when Juve have been on a role since the Madrid game, I have yet to see any positive words from you guys

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
of course dude, everyone is most welcome to voice their concerns, but saying the same thing over and over and over and over again can become a little tedious, wouldn't you say? even when Juve have been on a role since the Madrid game, I have yet to see any positive words from you guys
It's positive to call for Ranieri's head. And it is positive to wish death upon the board. If you´don't see it this way then you're not a :gsol: true Juventus fan :gsol:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
i did not try to argue with you because looking at the clock i gotta get my sleep now, but a few sentences to worship your post:

i am participating in this forum to get news about juve i would otherwise not get
oh and when i do not get to see a juve match i like to follow the live-thread, because its more fun than watching just a live ticker.
I used to do the same for a couple of years, i didnt have the courage sign up,
my pc skills, my English and "level" of some the older members were...intimidating...

i surely do not make notices when you praise ranieri and when you're not praising him. our different points of views perhaps are surely both valid, as i am someone who says "if you can not change it or can not do better by yourself, don't give smart advices" ... you do give your thoughts about what ranieri is doing wrong or other coaches would do better and that is ok, too.
Good to know that, as for my opinion on tactical approach, i do insist on the same things i want to see us improve. Some apparent weakness i ve learned to distinguish by the years, watching Juve passively, but passionately,
i chose Juventus and serie A, exactly for this very reason.
The importance of tactics in our gameplay! The effectiveness, the finesse!!
Thats exactly what i like to see in football and the reason i am a Juve fan!
Our very own DNA, defines my taste:burke:
So when i see a coach, or a player, messing with them, i tend to get angry on him!

the giovinco matter is already discussed in another thread, yes.
the simple question i would like to ask is "if someone had more information about something, would he automatically have the better information/view?"

surely we see things, but ranieri does know a hell lot more about giovinco than we and thus far i trust that his decisions are based on that and not on the information every fan has.
Indeed CR has more info and he can indeed judge better if Giovinco is fit enough,
or if Giovinco can fit in our plans!
BUT, Giovinco is a versatile player and even if we cant risk to start him, for the risk of losing effectiveness, there has to be a certain time, when we can afford that risk, for a limited time, meaning when we dominate and leading a match against an inferior team!
There has to be such an opportunity once in a while and yet CR never seems to find one.
It makes me wonder, if Giovinco is so useless/unready we did we even got him in our team?
I think its more of a tactical choice, CR is afraid to field a full fledged attacking midfielder, even in our wings, because he knows that our defense is vulnerable and he presumes that Giovinco has no skill and the physical power to defend.
If this is the case, we didnt he let him to grow up stronger one more year, before he call him back? Calling him back and treat him like that seems unfair to me!

I only brought up the capello and manu as an example, i wasn't comparing this team to their team as that would be idiotic. I am just merely pointing out the fact that the system could work if deployed with the right personnel. I know how that team worked, and i reiterate the point about players with different characteristics. How many assists did zanetti provide us last season? and how many assists and even goals did Viera provide ( as bad as he was) ? You can't simply use a universal phrase for all players. I know the formation relies heavily on the wingers, the forwards and the full backs but you need to examine every game differently. There is no one size fits all in this, as every game is different. I agree that we need some sort of organiser in the middle, but doesn't necessarily mean a tiago as a defensive mid could also provide us that.
Yes but since we dont have the right personnel, then this system cannot be effective, we may buy a new time, to optimize our team for such a gameplan, using young and top quality EPL crosses, but this option seems less likely to happen. With the available material and the necessary defensive upgrades, a simple change of system to a 4-4-2 with a diamond would be enough to balance our team and solve our creativity problems!

About the formation and tactics. Well we all know CR is no world beater but you need to take every game on it's merit. If you are going to dwell on the Sampadoria game from last season then we will get nowhere. We are progressing well and he deserves credit, you can't fault him for the losses and draw when half the team were ghosts on the field but don't give him any credit when we win.
When CR is right he is right, just a few matches ago , i ve been praising his subs and tactical plan/approach, but at this very moment, this team is not his choice, he has clearly demonstrated by the years, that he really hate this formation and he would only deploy it at urgent situation, as a last measure, when he has no other option available, def not by choice!
I insist that i will not praise him for his mistake, the effectiveness of this very formation, only prove him wrong.
If however he changes his opinion and start considering it, when more option become available, then make no mistake, i will appreciate it and praise him, that wont be the first time!

We are not in the easiest of situations here, we are fixing an airplane while its still in flight. Its easy to go ahead and say, ok we should have rebuilt this squad last year or the year before or even in Serie B. But its very difficult, we needed to get back to winning ways instantly. If we had to rebuilt this squad last year then we wouldn't be talking about the CL match against Real but a Uefa Cup game against whoever. A good example are Fiorentina and even Roma. The Viola have been rebuilding for a while but are still way behind all the teams in the top even though they have a lot of resources they could utilise and they as active in the transfer market as any of the top teams.
There have been made some serious tactical and strategical mistake, painfully obvious to my eyes, i explained exactly why they are going to fail and i was unfortunate enough to see that happen. Whats worse, is that we learned nothing from them and we repeated them. There are no excuses for that!
Though i dont solely blame CR for that, he is just a pawn...
We used to be one of the most organized teams in Europe, our managerial decisions were optimal, we lacked the political and financial support to compete with the strongest teams out there and the only thing that kept us competitive, was our effectiveness. Since our financial and political resources/influence hasnt change. It is essential for our cause to re-establish our effectiveness in our helm asap,
if we dont this, then we stand no chance to become competitive ever again.
Therefore i insist and expect for the best, regarding our managerial decision!
This is our number one priority!
Other's teams status is irrelevant, no one has our potential and no one has been harmed as we did!
We are not out of the sheds, not by a mile. But we are not in that bad of a situation either. Look at the recent results and have a close look at the line ups we have put out. Even our reserve players are playing well and stepping up. Look on the bright side buddy or you will be very tired by x-mas.
We are far from optimal, if Napoli and Udine can do it, then we can do it, we cant spend like Inter, we cant get the calls like Milan, but we can buy and organize our team better than Napoli!
We have more resources, income, history, tradition, fanbase support, international exp and status, attractive image and above all, the Dominator of the serie A soul, with our sides.
Being less effective than inferior teams, is a weakness we cant afford at this very moment of our history...
Our managers and our coach have met their limits, they are dragging us down, they simply cannot perform any better than that with the available resources.
If the had Inter's or Milan's they would probably could, but we need someone better if we want to compete with them.
Its as simple as that...

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Yes but since we dont have the right personnel, then this system cannot be effective, we may buy a new time, to optimize our team for such a gameplan, using young and top quality EPL crosses, but this option seems less likely to happen. With the available material and the necessary defensive upgrades, a simple change of system to a 4-4-2 with a diamond would be enough to balance our team and solve our creativity problems!
But how do we change to diamond when we have a winger primarily in our starting eleven and you mentioned how we don't have midfielders who are creative enough to support the forwards. Moreover the diamond needs to very strong full backs who are very able going forward. ( just compare our line up with a diamond with Milan's and Chelsea). Also this formation needs a lot of time for the players to get used to, since it involves movement from all the midfielders with very strong defenders which we dont have.

There have been made some serious tactical and strategical mistake, painfully obvious to my eyes, i explained exactly why they are going to fail and i was unfortunate enough to see that happen. Whats worse, is that we learned nothing from them and we repeated them. There are no excuses for that!
Though i dont solely blame CR for that, he is just a pawn...
We used to be one of the most organized teams in Europe, our managerial decisions were optimal, we lacked the political and financial support to compete with the strongest teams out there and the only thing that kept us competitive, was our effectiveness. Since our financial and political resources/influence hasnt change. It is essential for our cause to re-establish our effectiveness in our helm asap,
if we dont this, then we stand no chance to become competitive ever again.
Therefore i insist and expect for the best, regarding our managerial decision!
This is our number one priority!
Other's teams status is irrelevant, no one has our potential and no one has been harmed as we did!
Exactly things change and some aspects of the future looks very bleak. But there is no use for thinking negatively all the time because it wasn't all black and white like you stated. There are some aspects which look very bright and for example if a new management takes over there will not be a lot to do to get us back to the front line.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Thats why i mentioned, " with the necessary defensive upgrades".
That should have been our number priority in the transfer windows.
To fix this issue, the reason we lost, we lose and will lose countless points,
no matter the formation we choose.
When CR took over, we had no choice and he was forced to use 2 DMs and create 2 defensive lines.
But since then he had a winter transfer window and a summer transfer budget.
And he chose cheap defenders and one more DM. His choice, is his responsibility!
There are no more excuses any more! Last year's excuses, are no more valid!

However, even know, we do have the players to field a diamond, against inferior teams, when our weak defense and Sissoko, may handle the pressure
and we need that extra creative boost to finish off the game.
But CR is too scared to try it. He wouldnt risk a draw for a victory,
a typical loser mentality...funny things is, that lately, we couldnt even hold onto that one point...

It is by his choice and his choice alone that we dont have an alternative plan.
He said we have a complete team now and he is pleased with it,
with the funds allocated we could build a team for any kind of system.
But this "complete team" is not balanced, and this, is a tactical choice from our tactician! Bar Giovinco and Tiago maybe, it is optimized for the straight 4-4-2.

So CR holds a double responsibility here, 1 for not fielding an alternative solution (4-4-2 diamond, 4-5-1, 4-3-3) while he is having the versatile tools to "tinker"
and 2- for actively choosing to restrain his tactical choices by asking Poulsen, instead of a CM!

As for the negativity i am accused of, i am only trying to be realistic here,
considering our chances and watching things from a neutral, non Juve perspective.
I merely try to balance the ultra optimistic and unrealistic wave,
that tends to dominate most of the fans and doesnt responds in reality.
Therefore, my posts may come as a shock to some, same things happens when anybody gets a reality check, but his soul is better prepared for what it comes next!
Creating expectations we are impossible to met, will only bring us more pain in the end. I care for Juve fans, we suffered enough and i dont want to see them suffering more than necessary again...
The situation is how it is, we cant help it, we cant accept it,
but we cant ignore it either!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)