[Serie A] Juventus vs. Messina (101 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by AtotheB ] ++
Well you have to say that was another mechanical and lackluster performance by Juventus apart from a few moments of brilliance in the first half by some of our players. We created a decent number of chances against Messina, however I would probably expect a little more in terms of chances and also goals. We limited Messina to only a few chances around our area, and I don't remember Abbiati really being tested at all in the first half...second half is another story.

We were able to create a couple nice chances in the first half, however apart from the brilliant Del Piero goal we really did not test Storari that much. We were able to create some moments of magic through midfield, especially when Mutu was involved with the proceedings, however nothing really that inspiring. Messina could not even muster a real shot against us in the first half and they were not even matching our lacklusterous performance...amazingly something other teams usually fail to do as well.

In the second half it was more of the same nonchalant and mechanical football with neither side really taking total control of the match. We did not let Messina have much space in midfield, however towards the end of the match they started to take some chances and they probably should have drawn level...can't believe Zampagna or whoever missed that chance off of Abbiati.

I do prefer the trident Capello used today with Camoranesi in midfield instead of Nedved, as we just seem to have more control in the opposition's territory...one positive aspect of this match. Messina never looked like threatening us until the end of the match and with a little more movement in attack the trident will succeed. Mutu looked good today and especially Del Piero had a great performance. The midfield was pretty much secure and Vieira's absence was as noticable as the difference between playing with 11 and 8 men...not to take away from Giannichedda as he still looked solid today in his own respect.

Abbiati worried me once again today and he spilled the ball one too many times for my liking.

Pessotto was solid and did what he needed to do.

Thuram was very solid tonight and looked good with the ball in the first half. Even made a Messina attacker look foolish by playing the ball over his head with his head.

Cannavaro was decent however made a couple uncharacteristic mistakes.

Zambrotta was solid defenisvely and did not make as many runs up the wing as I had hoped.

Nedved was average today, however Messina had trouble dealing with his runs and won us a lot of fouls, just as usual.

Emerson was solid and easily held the midfield together.

Giannichedda was solid as well and this was his best match thus far in a Juventus shirt.

Mutu made some nice runs tonight and looked good with the ball at his feet...I still prefer him to Nedved on the left flank.

Ibrahimovic was poor IMO as he still is giving the ball away too easily and once again we saw him try to score a goal all by himself instead of making a simple lateral pass to a wide-open Del Piero who would have scored easily. Caused the Messina defense a lot of problems however he needs to improve.

Del Piero was my man of the match no doubt as his piece of brilliance won us the three points. He also looked very lively in the first half and was our best player going forward. Two great performances in the span of a week...bravo Ale.

Chiellini took a role on the left wing and did not really do much.

Trezeguet hit the post on a cracker of a shot after a nice Camoranesi lob over the defense...should have been a goal.
Great Post, Andrew.....Though I think Pavel was more than average player, 2nd best player of the match after the Captain.

I

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
my ratings:

Abbiati 5,5

Pessoto 5 ( his crosses are terible, we have chiellini and blasi, come on capello)

Canavaro 6,5 (solid as allways)

thuram 6,5 (solid as allways)

Zambrotta 6( he did not make a lot for our offensive)

Emerson 6,5 (won alot of balls)

Ginicheda 6,0 (he was OK but he can not replace viera)

Mutu 6 (some nice runs)

Nedved 6,5 (was very active)

Del Piero 7 (he scored this famous goal, in the second half he was invisible)

Ibrahimovic 5,5 ( some nice balls but he lost a lot of balls)

camo 6,5 (we had more controll with him in midfield)

Trez 6 (was unlucky not to score)

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
++ [ originally posted by giovanotti ] ++
Nothing more to say,only 7-7-0-0----13-2(+11)

I was fascinated with that Camoranesi's pass to Trez,when Trez hit the bar.
It was a pure magic by Camoranesi.
that asisst would have deserved a goal but the 3 points are there and this is the most important thing

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Maresca ] ++

that asisst would have deserved a goal but the 3 points are there and this is the most important thing
Exactly,3 points are the most important thing.
Let's hope that tomorrow our opponents (milan,inter) will drop some points.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Not all that much to say about this game. Though i'll try. This match reminded me a lot of the Rapid Vienna match somehow.

First half we had most possesion, while Messina was harmless. Whenever Messina did have some possesion, our awesome defence neutralized them. Mutu was our most active player in the first half and had some nice moves up his sleeves. We did not create many chances though.
Not entirely surprising, considering we had little or no scoring chances up to that point, that DP's excellent solo effort for the 1-0 came of Zoro's mistake.

After the goal we went asleep for the rest of the match, until Camo came on the field and created a lot of space in midfield and some excellent chances in the last minutes of the game. Especially that combination with Trezeguet was nice, goal deserving move. Hm, that must be why this match reminded of the Rapid match.
Against Rapid too, after the 1-0 we went asleep, until the final minutes when Mutu and Del Piero pushed us forward for two more goals. This game Camo took the role Mutu and Del Piero had vs Rapid. No additional goals this time though.

We even had a shakey moment towards the end of the game, when Thuram almost scored his second own goal in a weeks time..
We generally lacked penetration in this match and did not shoot on goal enough.

Defence looked good again. Zambrotta perfect defender also. Pessotto played a rough game, though attack-wise he seemed to somewhat lack some communication with Nedved. Shame about both Thuram and Canna's yellow cards.

Giannichedda had little to add to the game, except for a few decent interceptions. Emerson tried to do well both offensive and defensive, but lost the bal several times in attack. He did play play very actively. It made me laugh, when I heard Capello shout " Puma !" on the sidelines. Mutu was very quiet in the second half, opposite to his good first half. I still have high hopes for this player though, permitting that he keeps getting regular playing time.
Nedved did not impress me tonight, despite two good efforts on goal. Mistimed some of his passes and was indecisive all night. Maybe Capello wants him to play for the Czech repuplic, so he can get into form a little.
Camoranesi was our best player again tonight, despite only playing 30 minutes. Great shots, strong on the ball and a natural assist-man.

Ibrahimovic does seem to be an important player upfront, as the entire team uses him as the target for all their play. If one of our defenders is in a tight position he can always play the long ball towards Zlatan. Ibrahimovic'll do something with the ball. He still needs to find a certain level of effectiveness though and an eye for other players, when he is in the box. He has improved though, compared to previous matches, as he did not slow down the attack today.
Del Piero looked fit and good on the ball. He actually looks fast nowadays. Great goal too. He really seems fired up. I want him to start against Bayern also. Only drawback about his play today was his lack of support after the 1-0, when the team started to look lacklustre. He vanished out of the game.

All in all we did enough to warrant the win. I kind of expected a game like today; A scrappy win basically. Despite us playing a 4-4-2, we were lacking wingplay today. I'd like to see that improve. Width is always important when trying to break down the opponent's defence. Both Nedved and Camo seem to play as (semi- )playmakers.
Don't really know what the expect from the bayern match, to be honest. Potentially we should beat them, but a draw would not surprise me..

Seems I had plenty to say about this match after all, any comments?

ESS-Juventino

May 6, 2005
Another Juventus Type Victory.

1- Great Solo by Alessandro. He was obviously so motivated.
2- Not a great performance by Zlatan.
3- Emerson and Fabio did control of midfield and Diffence.
4- Bad Luck for trezeguet.
5- Nedved, Man of the match. IMO.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Maresca ] ++
my ratings:

Pessoto 5 ( his crosses are terible, we have chiellini and blasi, come on capello)
Thats ufair... He was one of the best in the field. He moved everywhere. Most of the tackles and return of balls from the opponents were through him. I agree he was a bit off with the crosses but did not deserve to be the worst in the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 101)