[SERIE A] Juventus - Palermo (5th October, 2008) (51 Viewers)

Should Ranieri quit/be fired after this result?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I agree.

But put yourself in Ranieri's place. He saw a chance to turn things around.
Imagine what he was thinking... "we're playing with 10 men, we were 0:1 down. If i put more attacking players on, if i go for the win even though we play with 10 AND if we win this match then i'll be a hero. Everyone will be praising me and my bravery. After this a 2 week break follows and we can work on fixing the mistakes while being full of confidence"

The poor old fool saw his chance today and he took the risk. There was a minimal chance for him to succeed and a huge possibility Palermo to score a goal and beat us, but i guess for him this was THE chance to turn things around.
I'm sure that is exactly what he was thinking, but that comes back to what I said about the change just looking like desperation.

Buy on AliExpress.com

memo

Nov 18, 2005
Nah.

A draw was the best we were ever going to manage.

We were playing horribly and down to ten men. It was the wrong time to gamble and it just looked like desperation to me.

There have been plenty other games he should have been more adventurous but hasn't been.
marchisio???
marchisio was our best player today. . .

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I agree.

But put yourself in Ranieri's place. He saw a chance to turn things around.
Imagine what he was thinking... "we're playing with 10 men, we were 0:1 down. If i put more attacking players on, if i go for the win even though we play with 10 AND if we win this match then i'll be a hero. Everyone will be praising me and my bravery. After this a 2 week break follows and we can work on fixing the mistakes while being full of confidence"

The poor old fool saw his chance today and he took the risk. There was a minimal chance for him to succeed and a huge possibility Palermo to score a goal and beat us, but i guess for him this was THE chance to turn things around.
Then again, the goal came on the counterattack. Even if we had all 11 out there we are always at risk of conceding such a goal because the defenders are poor.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
I'm not saying i would have brought off Marchisio because he did do pretty well.

All I'm saying is that bringing off Poulsen was an entirely wrong choice.
it was definitely an act of desperation but if it had come off, we would all be praising Ranieri for having the cojones to make such a risky move...Poulsen was not doing his job in either dept. of the game

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
But look at how much better the team was in the scond half before Poulsen went off.

He wasn't being great, but he was quietly providing vital balance to the team.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
IMO, it was Marchisio providing that balance...he was everywhere at once and had a great game...Poulsen was a bystander most of the time...he has to realise that he is such a vital player in the current setup...he has to take the game by the scruff of the neck and provide some passes for the more attacking players to show their stuff

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
So why was Simplicio constantly in acres of space once Poulsen went off, while he barely featured in the second half until Poulsen was subbed?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
And I feel that going more attacking was a mistake.

Given the circumstances we should have accepted the draw.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
But a coach should do what he believes has a decent chance of working, he can't just go making reckless changes in the hope that they pay off.

It was yet another case of poor judgement from Ranieri.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Truly a pathetic display today - all the way around... with the exception of Gigi. What should we expect? We knew this was simply not a top flight defense - many of us were pulling our hair out during the last few weeks of the mercato, as we failed to make the obviously crucial addition(s) to our back line. Pretty obvious why that was the case now... a couple of injuries and we're completely in the shitter. Talk about unorganized the last few games... ticky tack goals all over the place.

All of you who were claiming that our defense was in good shape before the season started, or that Ivanovic was too much of a risk, etc., I hope you enjoyed the performance by Knezevic today. Or Mellberg's performance so far this year? Mediocrity, incarnate. We absolutely should have taken a run at Marquez, or a fucking risk on Branislav. We also should have made a play for Maggio... I still can't believe Napoli snagged him.

What's also amusing (in an incredibly depressing kind of way), is that all 3 of these defensive players would have had a greater impact on our offense (and obviously the defense) than a player like Poulsen has had.

Poulsen has had a couple of bright moments, and he hasn't been rubbish... but he certainly was not what we needed.

We have basically no creativity, and a shitty/shallow defense.

Sarah

s-doLLa
Sep 26, 2007
I guess I am in the minority when I said that we shouldn't fire Ranieri for this result immediately. We already made the mistake of not replacing him during the summer when we had a chance. Once we made the CL spot, it was like all you people here forgot what he did during the season. The smart move is to secure a world class replacement for him not some makeshift coach who will probably continue to lose. We are not the Juventus we used to be along with a lot of stupid decisions during the summer so let's not act like the only issue is our coach with this poll. Should we sack the whole board, Ranieri, and replace some of our roster with the type of players we need? Now I would vote a yes for that.

We got really lucky with the result today. This was probably Palermo's worst performance this season with Ballardini coaching. Just imagine if they were connecting like they regularly are. Thank god that Miccoli got injured in the first half because he was our biggest threat.

It is just clear that something needs to be done for Juventus. We need to get our morale back and I'm not sure if it can be fixed that easily with the sacking of Ranieri.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Truly a pathetic display today - all the way around... with the exception of Gigi. What should we expect? We knew this was simply not a top flight defense - many of us were pulling our hair out during the last few weeks of the mercato, as we failed to make the obviously crucial addition(s) to our back line. Pretty obvious why that was the case now... a couple of injuries and we're completely in the shitter. Talk about unorganized the last few games... ticky tack goals all over the place.

All of you who were claiming that our defense was in good shape before the season started, or that Ivanovic was too much of a risk, etc., I hope you enjoyed the performance by Knezevic today. Or Mellberg's performance so far this year? Mediocrity, incarnate. We absolutely should have taken a run at Marquez, or a fucking risk on Branislav. We also should have made a play for Maggio... I still can't believe Napoli snagged him.

What's also amusing (in an incredibly depressing kind of way), is that all 3 of these defensive players would have had a greater impact on our offense (and obviously the defense) than a player like Poulsen has had.

Poulsen has had a couple of bright moments, and he hasn't been rubbish... but he certainly was not what we needed.

No creativity, shitty defense.
Wow, somebody else with foresight who saw these problems coming and therefore thought our mercato was shit.

Nice to meet cha. :agree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)