SERIE A: Juventus - Lecce (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
@swag: How were the goals?
Here's what I made of them:

Juve 1-0: A lot of banging around the box. Zambro puts in a cross in front of the goal from the corner, Legro attempts to pass it back and it bounces back to Trez with his other heel, Trez cleans up. Ugly, but it worked.

Lecce 1-1: Ledesma sprung the usual blown offside trap (God, we suck at this :wallbang: ) on a wicked, long triangle. Buffon couldn't control the save where he clearly should have, and Franceschini cleaned up.

Lecce 2-1: Konan runs up the length of the field [I think it was Legro who completely blew an attempted shot at the ball (and ran into Zambro)], Konan lifted a deep shot to the upper right corner, and Buffon just couldn't get it. It appeared that Buffon's arms were up and in the vicinity, but he didn't make contact.

Lecce 3-1: A deep goal kick to Konan put him out about 30m. In succession, Iuliano and then Legrotaglie make feeble attempts at tackles -- only to fall on their sides. Awful one-on-one play. Buffon couldn't help this one if his defenders are taking pratfalls like that.

Lecce 4-1: Right up the central defense, Ledesma pulled a nutmeg on Tudor, and the ball came to Chevanton who completely lost his marker for the goal.

Juve 4-2: Del Piero placed an excellent cross from a free kick on the left side, and an unmarked Maresca buried it downward into the goal with a header. Nice. :D

Juve 4-3: From center, Del Piero was set up with a nice lob at the left goal line, and he sliced it at an angle into the goal -- Sicignano got a hand on it, but couldn't steer it out of the opposite side of the net.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
It's one thing not to get into a championship. It's another to give up 4 goals on your home pitch to teams like Lecce -- and have that not be the exception for the season, but more part of the rule or trend.
So I did a little tallying. If the Serie A big teams were in, say, a CL-style group round of 5 (instead of the usual 4), this is how things would be shaping up now:

# team Pts W D L GF GA
-- -------- ---- -- -- -- --- ---
1 Milan* 19 6 1 0 14 6
2 Roma* 15 3 3 1 14 6
3 Lazio 8 2 2 4 5 7
4 Inter 8 2 2 4 11 14
5 Juve 5 1 2 5 8 18

*+ 1 game to play

That should spell out a little more about the trouble with the club when it comes to expecting to perform at an international level. It's not one game with Lecce. It's not missing out on the CL quarterfinals. It's not a span of injuries...

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
guys..... why u alll bang lippi for this defeat?.. i think

......................Buffon......................

birindelli .....legro...iuliano.......zambrotta

................Appiah....Tudor

Di Vaio.........nedved..............miccoli

....................trzege

should have been good enuff to beat lecce.... and he did bring Del Piero and Maresca in the 2nd half.. i think the players should shoulder the blame for this rather than the coach...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
guys..... why u alll bang lippi for this defeat?..
<snip>
should have been good enuff to beat lecce.... and he did bring Del Piero and Maresca in the 2nd half.. i think the players should shoulder the blame for thins rather than the coach...
As a sportscaster for American football here puts it, "Winning is a great deodorant". The converse, losing, makes everyone stink.

To Lippi's credit, he didn't go out with the dreaded 4-4-1-1, and he actually took some risks in his formation. I don't want to discourage that kind of aggressiveness -- he's been lacking it for much of the year. So I hope the complete failure of this risk-taking endeavor doesn't put him back into an ultra-conservative shell. That would be horribly detrimental.

A lot of the blame goes on the players' shoulders, definitely. Lippi is also responsible for preparing the team to execute properly in any new formations. That much obviously didn't happen. So he must shoulder some of the blame himself.

Mar 21, 2004
guys..... why u alll bang lippi for this defeat?.. i think

......................Buffon......................

birindelli .....legro...iuliano.......zambrotta

................Appiah....Tudor

Di Vaio.........nedved..............miccoli

....................trzege

should have been good enuff to beat lecce.... and he did bring Del Piero and Maresca in the 2nd half.. i think the players should shoulder the blame for this rather than the coach...
i blame him because he doesn't want to use all of juve weapons.
i also blame him because he doesn't believe in maresca:fero:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

As a sportscaster for American football here puts it, "Winning is a great deodorant". The converse, losing, makes everyone stink.

To Lippi's credit, he didn't go out with the dreaded 4-4-1-1, and he actually took some risks in his formation. I don't want to discourage that kind of aggressiveness -- he's been lacking it for much of the year. So I hope the complete failure of this risk-taking endeavor doesn't put him back into an ultra-conservative shell. That would be horribly detrimental.

A lot of the blame goes on the players' shoulders, definitely. Lippi is also responsible for preparing the team to execute properly in any new formations. That much obviously didn't happen. So he must shoulder some of the blame himself.

the coach only good untill the players crossed the white line.... after that they can only hope for the best... for my part, i already think the starting formation was already exciting and good enuff to beat a lecce class... and we did have a marvelous start... things only start crumbling when Lecce score a suprised first goal.. the thing about mistake goals is they sucked up moral... after thats the ball just keep coming back into our net.... who would have thought that two Lecce players could eat the whole Juventus defense alife....

injury dont help Lippi either....we badly needed tacchinardi today..... and starting a forward in Di Vaio from the right wing would mean no place for maresca as he cant give enuff cover defensively..... damn i am deeply dissapointed with our players...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
guys..... why u alll bang lippi for this defeat?..
Playing with Legro and Iuliano at CB, with Tudor in DM and benching Maresca was stupid against a strong counterattacking side. Sure, I liked that we played aggressive with 4 attacking players, but Lippi neglected our defence too much by relying on a crappy offside trap and plpayers who have proven themselves to be shite all season
and he did bring Del Piero and Maresca in the 2nd half..
Too little, too late. They obviously should have started from the outset. This isn't just in hindsight either, everyone knew that they should have started.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

Playing with Legro and Iuliano at CB, with Tudor in DM and benching Maresca was stupid against a strong counterattacking side. Sure, I liked that we played aggressive with 4 attacking players, but Lippi neglected our defence too much by relying on a crappy offside trap and plpayers who have proven themselves to be shite all season
Lippi is the type of old skool coach who trust in their players.... he values player's morale highly... football coaches have no choice.... you cant just sack ur players each time they do a mistake...u will left with none becoz all players make mistakes... sacking them would make them harder to recover their morale... the only way is just to continue to give chance to your players.... he have been doing that all these years... only this year result fell out of plan miserably...

beside....i think his choice of players is rather logical tactically... Maresca have no place in 4231 unless for nedved's place.. we need a though tudor in central midfield to anchor our mid..sadlt that 'though' tudor never turn out...

Too little, too late. They obviously should have started from the outset. This isn't just in hindsight either, everyone knew that they should have started.
everyone suddenly KNEW they should have started after lecce score 3 in the first half... what are the chance that people can predict that that could happen?.. Lippi obviously have plans to insert them in some part of the match...its just....the tornado destroy everthing in a flash... we concede 3 in 20 first half minutes... lippi gradual sunstitutions should have work confortable in a typical Juve-Lecce match.. last night just not one of them...

slack

Dec 13, 2002
Half of the posts blaming Lippi is hindsight and totally ridiculous.

Lippi wanted that 2nd place and went for a win. That was a great attacking makeup and in that respect, the team didn't let anyone down, did it?

The sudden obsession with Maresca is another ridiculous issue. I don't see any justified room for him in that 4-2-3-1. He hasn't proven anything in the DM position and every of the 3 AMs/forwards earned their place after a good performance against Lazio (in contrast to a poor one by Maresca) Hey, how's that for playing 'in-form' players? Yes, he came on and scored ... good for him but so what? Any guarantees he'd have helped the team if he started the match? As far as I could gather, the attack was ok and the defence was the problem. How useful is he to the latter aspect?

As for the defence, what's the big deal? The whole bunch of them have been rubbish and no matter how you chop/change in positions or numbers, its basically the same. That's how much Lippi has to work with. This time though, it was Buffon who seemed responsible for 2. Did anyone really expect him to crap it up to that extent? Desmond perhaps but hindsight definitely.

The coach did what he could with the squad of players available to him. Why feign surprises when it has been the same story the whole season long? Anybody who seriously expects miracles at this stage of the season has some problems with reality. This game holds no significance. The season had already ended earlier with the CL exit, not against Lecce. How well can you play with either the axe looming over your head or your thoughts already drifting to Euro 2004 (and both considerations basically covers the whole squad)? That's something even the players themselves have no solutions to, much less the coach.

Get off his back.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
Half of the posts blaming Lippi is hindsight and totally ridiculous.

Lippi wanted that 2nd place and went for a win. That was a great attacking makeup and in that respect, the team didn't let anyone down, did it?

The sudden obsession with Maresca is another ridiculous issue. I don't see any justified room for him in that 4-2-3-1. He hasn't proven anything in the DM position and every of the 3 AMs/forwards earned their place after a good performance against Lazio (in contrast to a poor one by Maresca) Hey, how's that for playing 'in-form' players? Yes, he came on and scored ... good for him but so what? Any guarantees he'd have helped the team if he started the match? As far as I could gather, the attack was ok and the defence was the problem. How useful is he to the latter aspect?

As for the defence, what's the big deal? The whole bunch of them have been rubbish and no matter how you chop/change in positions or numbers, its basically the same. That's how much Lippi has to work with. This time though, it was Buffon who seemed responsible for 2. Did anyone really expect him to crap it up to that extent? Desmond perhaps but hindsight definitely.

The coach did what he could with the squad of players available to him. Why feign surprises when it has been the same story the whole season long? Anybody who seriously expects miracles at this stage of the season has some problems with reality. This game holds no significance. The season had already ended earlier with the CL exit, not against Lecce. How well can you play with either the axe looming over your head or your thoughts already drifting to Euro 2004 (and both considerations basically covers the whole squad)? That's something even the players themselves have no solutions to, much less the coach.

Get off his back.
slack.. u must be born with the right side of my brain or something....:D

u just summed up all the things i think and want to say :thumb:

slack

Dec 13, 2002

slack.. u must be born with the right side of my brain or something....:D

u just summed up all the things i think and want to say :thumb:
I was about to say the same thing about you ;) :D

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
I could not believe my eyes when i saw the result , the so called mighty juve loose to a team gighting relegation in torino.

LIPPI MUST GO KNOW ,THERE IS NO EXECUSE FOR THIS.
OUR DEFENCE AND BUFFON MUST BE PUT FOR A WEEK IN THE GARBAGE.
It is the most imbaressing thing that hapened to juve:down:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
one positive thing i can point out from this match though is...i could see a fire in Alessandro Del Piero... something i have been missing for a long time.. oh the touches.. they were really looking like going somewhere last night.. its been really awhile since i had that feeling....:touched:

venom

Oct 22, 2003
beside....i think his choice of players is rather logical tactically... Maresca have no place in 4231 unless for nedved's place.. we need a though tudor in central midfield to anchor our mid..sadlt that 'though' tudor never turn out...
Was that 4231 really needed, in that system no players in our squad capable to stop fast counter attacks, DV not playing in his natural position, Tudor not in his natural position. We don't need Tudor in the midfield simply b/c he is _not_ a midfielder. I wonder when he starts to play Buffon as a winger with Mirante being a lone striker.

++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
Anybody who seriously expects miracles at this stage of the season has some problems with reality.
What, expecting to beat Lecce at home is considered a miracle?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)