[Serie A] Empoli vs. Juventus (5 Viewers)

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

No Gol TV for me. I cut myself off at RAI and RTPi. Any more soccer and I would never leave my couch. :p

RAI Intl is airing the Juve-Empoli match at 9pm PT tonight.
if all you want them for is juve games, i would reccomend dumping rai and getting gol tv instead. i have both and (in my opinion) the actual signal quality and picture clarity is FAR superior with gol tv, as well as the live coverage of juve

but that all changed if you intend to watch other serie a games as well :cool:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That could go down as one of our easiest victories in history...for the first 20 minutes we totally dominated absolutely everything on the pitch and Empoli looked like a high school team out there. It was incredible to see how the easily the goals came to us in this match, and the difference between two weeks ago against Chievo and today is as clear as day.

The movement in attack for the first 25 minutes or so was outstanding...I don't recall so much interchanging and movement between Juventus midfielders in quite a long time, certainly not since the last season. Against Chievo we had trouble completing passes and starting decent attacks, however over the past two weeks our fitness and overall sharpness has improved greatly, and that is good news ahead of Brugge on Wednesday. Today against Empoli every player looked sharp and finally our interchanges and passing plays clicked and certainly payed off in the end...the flury of three goals in 15 minutes was absolute ownage.

The Vieira and Emerson midfield duo has certainly improved over the past two weeks, as they seemed to have a better understanding of each other today against Empoli. Vieira also looked much more comfortable with the ball and IMO he was the man of the match...his passing was nearly perfect and his attacking forays up the center of the pitch caused Empoli quite a few problems. His form today brought back memories of his outstanding form for Arsenal when they went on that glorious 49-game unbeaten streak. Thus far the midfield duo looks very promising, however against Empoli...quite possibly the worst team in Serie A...we must not look too much into this win.

Abbiati was not tested that much and he still does not look as confident as Buffon in goal. 5.5

Pessotto had a decent first half and did not make any noticable mistakes. 6

Balzaretti made his debut today in the second 45 and looked pretty solid. We have another long haired blond in the team, so look out. 6

Kovac looked rather lackadaisical in the first half but luckily it did not cost us...not a bad Juventus debut for the Croatian. 6

Cannavaro made some un-Cannavaro-like mistakes today, most notably losing some marks and making some bad fouls. Still not a bad performance. 6

Zambrotta was not as lively today as he was against Chievo and he did not make as many surging runs up the flank as usual. However he didn't make any noticable mistakes so that is good. 5.5

Camoranesi looked great in the first half and his goal, although deflected, was a nice piece of dribbling skill beforehand. He seemed to drift towards the center of the pitch a bit more this match and did not make many crosses from the right wing. 7

Vieira was the man of the match, no doubt. His passing was very very good, his tackling was solid, and his charging runs forward with the ball caused Empoli many problems. He completely owned the midfield and if he continues to play like this his purchase was certainly worth it. 8

Emerson had a solid match and did not look sluggish as usual, so that is good news. He combined well with Vieira and made some nice passes up the pitch. 6.5

Nedved looked infinitely better than two weeks ago, and that is certainly good news. He looked much more sharp today and combined well on the left wing. 6.5

Trezeguet showed his worth to this team once again with his goalscoring instinct, and I was also impressed with his movement without the ball and him seemingly being involved in play frequently. David even made some runs up the flank and made a few nice crosses, one in which Pavel should have put away. He came back and won a ball he lost...great stuff by Trezeguet today. 7.5

Ibrahimovic had some nice runs with he ball however not one of his better performances. Nice flick to Trezeguet for our first goal though. 6.5

Mutu came on and had a few nice plays, however he didn't really have many touches. Looked lively though. 5.5

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by TonyMontana ] ++

Im talking about how Trezeguet was a little selfish today on the pitch, natural finisher or not.
What are you talking about...Trezeguet was not selfish at all today. He was working very hard, making great runs, and even coming back to win balls he lost. He had a great match.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++
I'm glad Nedved was good, I knew he'd come good. He was good JUST LIKE THE LAST MATCH.
You just won't let this go will you...he was 1000 times better today than against Chievo. You see, he actually completed passes this match and justified his place in the starting lineup. He was good this match but very bad in the last...period.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
We need to be cautious and dont take this game as a reference. Empoli is just a weak team not representative of what lies ahead.

Anyway, if we can mantain the focus and concentration we exhibit the first twenty minutes against Empoli, we are in the right track.....

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

No Gol TV for me. I cut myself off at RAI and RTPi. Any more soccer and I would never leave my couch. :p

RAI Intl is airing the Juve-Empoli match at 9pm PT tonight.
I have RAI International but i'm in Australia , in wat timing is that ???

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Empoli 0 - 4 Juventus
Trezeguet 10, 58 (J), Vieira 13 (J), Camoranesi 15 (J)
Stadio Castellani

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was only ever one team in it, as Juventus swept Empoli aside with consummate ease.

The last time Empoli were in Serie A during the 2003-04 season they shocked the peninsula by holding Juventus to a thrilling 3-3 draw at the Stadio Castellani. The Bianconeri were decimated by injuries to Lilian Thuram, Jonathan Zebina, Alessandro Del Piero, Gigi Buffon and Alessandro Birindelli, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic was struggling with a stomach bug.

Empoli handed former Fiorentina hitman Christian Rigano' his debut upfront, supported by Igli Vannucchi, Lodi and Francesco Tavano.

Juventus broke the deadlock after 10 minutes with David Trezeguet - his second goal in as many games. It was a fine team move and Ibrahimovic flicked the ball up between defenders for the Frenchman's finish.

Just as Empoli started to fight back, the Bianconeri made it 2-0. Pavel Nedved's corner kick found Patrick Vieira for a splendid glancing header that he redirected into the far top corner. It was the former Arsenal man's first Serie A goal.

There was barely time to catch breath before Juve had scored their third in curious circumstances. Mauro German Camoranesi slipped as he fired from distance, which took a deflection off Coda and went looping into the top corner.

Empoli threatened a goal with Vannucchi blasting over and a diving Rigano' header that skimmed the woodwork.

Ex-Torino defender Federico Balzaretti received his Juve debut in the second half. Within five minutes, Lodi had been called into a goalline clearance on an Ibrahimovic header from a corner kick.

Trezeguet made the scoreline 4-0 thanks to a terrible error from goalkeeper Berti, who rushed off his line and allowed the Frenchman to lob into an empty net.

Trezeguet was prevented from getting his hat-trick by a tough Berti save, as there was only one team in this match. The veteran goalkeeper palmed away an effort from substitute Marcelo Zalayeta, but Christian Abbiati's first intervention of the afternoon came at the 76th minute on Gasparetto.

Camoranesi's first touch let him down with only the 'keeper to beat, then Adrian Mutu and Nedved drilled wide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Empoli: Berti; Busce, Coda, Pratali, Bonetto; Ficini, Almiron; Lodi (Serafini 57), Vannucchi (Moro 81), Tavano; Rigano' (Gasparetto 64)

Juventus: Abbiati; Pessotto (Balzaretti 46), Kovac, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Emerson, Vieira, Nedved; Trezeguet (Zalayeta 70), Ibrahimovic (Mutu 59)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Zlatan was fantastic as usual , as he assisted trez with a wonderful pass to score , and trez was in good form too.
our defence was not tested , camo and nedved were in good form
it seems mutu plays in a wide position , he is not noticed when he came .
capello is right trez and zlatan are the best pair to play in attack

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Trez was very sharp yesterday, ANd yes, Trez and Zlatan linked up well yesterday.

CAmoranese was also outstanding along with Vieira who was everywhere. I would not have chosen Pizarro over him.

Nedved was good but not up to the standards I expect from him.

Balzaretti good, and Kovac was solid. Mutu came on but I think he still hasn't found his link yet with the others. Zalayeta was a good sub, managing a good shot on goal.

Overall we played a solid game with Trez showing what he has been renown for...finishing. Him, Vieira and Camoranese were our strenght yesterfday along with Zlatan's clever little passes.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

What are you talking about...Trezeguet was not selfish at all today. He was working very hard, making great runs, and even coming back to win balls he lost. He had a great match.
I agree. He looked like the Striker we all expected when we first bought him, he had a good game, and perhaps unlucky not to score a hat trick....If Zlatan hadn't kick the ball at Trez's feet, Im sure Trez could've found the back of the net.
Scoring or kicking often on goal is not at all selfish especially if your role IS as the primary Finisher.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
what else can be said, that already hasn't ???

We showed up to play, and Empoli didn't

We controlled the whole game, and made it look rather easy

Vieira was awesome, and Trez earned his money today

Lets hope we can continue to play this way
You know we played a really good game when Vinman says this :D

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by - vOnAm - ] ++

I agree. He looked like the Striker we all expected when we first bought him, he had a good game, and perhaps unlucky not to score a hat trick....If Zlatan hadn't kick the ball at Trez's feet, Im sure Trez could've found the back of the net.
Scoring or kicking often on goal is not at all selfish especially if your role IS as the primary Finisher.
agreed

Shoryuken

Jan 7, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

I watched the 4-0 goal in replay and it seems passing Ibra probably would be harder then finishing on goal, so maybe not so selfish after all.

I still want to see him pass Zlatan sometimes though, yet to see this happen.

But im not complaining when we win 4-0 its just observation.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
It's been 6 years since we last won with such a high margin away from home.

It was also great to read the headlines today all hailing Trez-Zlatan as the best partnership in Italy and maybe even in Europe. Sheva-Gila does not seem to work and Martins-Adriano they are both indivdualistic players, not good to have them both at the same time.

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Capello is a good coach, no-one can deny that, but he certainly has flaws. Firstly, he is IMO too negative. We may be able to win Serie A with this type of mentality but we'll get into trouble in the latter stages of the CL because of our inability to break down teams. And this inability to break down teams isn't completely down to the players, a good set of the blame has to fall on Cap's shoulders. Taking the lead and defending is stupidity. Teams have got the better of us because of that tactic and it will continue to happen. We may be able to successfully defend a 1-0 lead against Chievo but if you score, sit back and let teams come at you in the Champions League you will get hurt. With the quality this team possesses we should be crushing the smaller teams in Serie A but Capello is satisfied with 1-0. The average fan will say that 1-0 is good enough for him or her as the three points is all that matters but we drew against Parma and Cagliari last season because we were willing to settle for a 1-0 scoreline. Had we kept attacking we would have definitely scored again but that's not Capello's style. His tactics against Pool at the Delle Alpi last season were also quite pathetic. Don Fabio's negativity also transpires in our transfer moves. Since he took charge we could have easily acquired a creative midfielder such as David Pizarro but in his two summers here he has brought in two defensive midfielders. Don't get me wrong, Emerson and Vieira are wonderful players and I'm glad that they're here, but a Pizarro or Rosicky or Hleb would have added so much more to this team.

Secondly, he's quite simply a fvcking cunt. A fine manager, yes, but he's also a *****. The media and the fans were giving him hell for the way he was dealing with Del Piero but instead of responding like a real man and playing DP when he deserved to be played Cap wanted to prove that we didn't need Alex and that he was indeed correct. Last night's game against Chievo comes to mind but even more so does the game away to Palermo last season. Trezeguet and Ibrahimovic started even though Del Piero had scored in the previous match, both of them disappointed, but Capello refused to bring on DP. Both David and Zlatan played the full 90 and we ended up losing 1-0. Why Cap? Why? Because he didn't want to give in to the crowd's chants of Alessandro Del Piero OLE? Or because he didn't think DP would've made a difference? Either way he was a idiotic.

Thirdly, Cassano is on the verge of joining and for what reason? Because Cap is too much of an idiot to give Mutu a chance and will only work with those who he has had success with in the past. Only an idiot would give away Chiellini, one of the most promising full backs in Italy, Mutu, who is arguably just as good as Cassano, and a sum of cash, for an enigmatic *****.

muhahahahaha

what a long post and its all go up in smoke :D

its allright to be in love with DP, he is a nice guy, such a talent, blah-blah-blah. The thing is: the future is called Ibra.

Dp is just too old and tooo injury prone, you cannot build an attack on a player who gets injured after every second sprint he made. How many times it happened that he left the field after the 5th minute of an important match???? You can argue, but where is he now???

Capello sticks to his conception: no leading role for DP. And than what? We won the scudetto, we playing promising in the new season so far, Viera getting better and better and Ibra-Trez seemingly not a bad idea.

As i remember DP took Baggio's place back in the old days, now it's his time to make one step backwards.

btw DP played his best of the recent years last season, so even if he dont like the way he is being handled, Capello brought some good things out of him.

ps: To cite lost matches from a championship we won, my friend: that's pathetic.

Yes we blew the pool game, but they won the CL afterall, so maybe it isnt that much of a shame.

did you support empoli? i hope you weren't too dissapointed that we score 4,

ciao

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I don't see how one match invalidates everything that Stuart said. So we beat Empoli by a wide margin, does that mean he's wrong in everything he said?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)