[SERIE A] Chievo vs JUVENTUS (09/11/08) (5 Viewers)

sacrer

Nov 6, 2006
I agree that playing Giovinco might not be good at the moment, because the new system needs the wings to defend and go back to help. It's also partially why Molinaro has been looking a bit better.

But at the same time, I do think that instead of bringing in Grygera when we were 2-0 up, we could have brouht in Giovinco. The guy needs some playing time to get better, keeping on the bench will just lose him. I would rather see him loaned out for another season if he's going to stay on the bench the whole time!

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
De Ceglie has the insticts of a fb. U can tell by watching him play in midfield that his attributes are more suited as a lb. He doesn't run at defenders, he looks for quick exchanges that play him into space, and off the ball he always goes down the line. As a fb, these are great qualities, but in midfield we need some1 who can dribble at defenders, act as a playmaker, and cut inside and go for goal like Nedved. He did an admirable job, but Giovinco is clearly the better fit.

I'm starting to get the feeling Ranieri see's De Ceglie more as a left midfielder than a lb, although I'm sure his confidence in Molinaro is playing a part in that decision. De Ceglie is not defensively weaker than Molinaro. I have yet to see any instances this season that prove that De Ceglie is a defensive liability relative to Molinaro. The Zenit game should have settled that arguement.

what if ranieri just wants to give de ceglie precious playing time so that he can develop and get to know our system. he can "learn" to defend easier, when he is not responsible for the whole left side and he can learn how to make runs and give crosses too.

i think it is a great "playing ground" for de ceglie so he can slowly get a better understanding of our system and get better in helping out at the back, so he will be a good substitute or even replacment for molinaro.

another theory was, that ranieri knows that molinaro is not the strongest in the defense so he wants de ceglie to help him shut his side down. giovinco would not fit the bill here ... but we will never know.

i must admit i do worry about giovinco, but try to be optimistic that he will get much playing time in the italian cup and when he does good things in our 4-4-2 system and shows he fits there he will get his time in serie a.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Thumbs up for Ranieri, I know we are in a very good shape and all but this not playing Giovinco is getting on my nerves. Seemingly there is no place for him in the team and the coach doesn't believe in him neither when we need to score nor when we are to defend a result, neither against the strong teams nor against the weak ones. Shouldn't we loan him back to a mid/low table team? This way he at least could get some minutes and wouldn't lost his form.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
So who wants to analyse whether our penalty was a penalty? Everyone was very keen to when Milan got a soft penalty.

My initial reaction was that it was a penalty, but having seen it again, it hit the guy's knee before hitting his hand.

Lecce on the other hand had a few shouts for penalties when the ball hit Juve arm's which were at the player's side.

In my view, if we got ours, Lecce probably should have had a penalty, too.

Not much to say about the performance. It was a win.

We matched Lecce's workrate and our superior quality told.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
So who wants to analyse whether our penalty was a penalty? Everyone was very keen to when Milan got a soft penalty.

My initial reaction was that it was a penalty, but having seen it again, it hit the guy's knee before hitting his hand.

Lecce on the other hand had a few shouts for penalties when the ball hit Juve arm's which were at the player's side.

All were good decissions.

If it didn't hit Chievo player's hand then Iaquinta would have found himself one on one with the goalkeeper.
By handlling the ball the Chievo player stopped what was going to be a 100% chance.

Our handballs were the same as the handballs Milan were being awarded penalties. A cross that was going nowhere, ball to hand, and even if we didn't stop those balls with the hand, there wasn't any risk for a chance for Chievo.

Great decissions by the ref.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I think all the decision's were probably just about right.

I was primarily commenting on the fact that the penalty calls hadn't really been mentioned, whereas if a rival gets a penalty there is endless discussion of it.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

Lecce was great tonight :D

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
we played ok...
probably shouldn't have had to rely on a penalty and a DP free kick against a team like Chievo.
I can't believe Ranieri didn't play Giovinco, why didn't he start him for a creative line up (we may have scored a proper goal) and subbed him with DC (defensive lineup) when we had a lead? Only saw very elaborate highlights.. a win is a win but if we play without creating chances against a Milan team then we're in trouble.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
we played ok...
probably shouldn't have had to rely on a penalty and a DP free kick against a team like Chievo.
I can't believe Ranieri didn't play Giovinco, why didn't he start him for a creative line up (we may have scored a proper goal) and subbed him with DC (defensive lineup) when we had a lead? Only saw very elaborate highlights.. a win is a win but if we play without creating chances against a Milan team then we're in trouble.
We actually are playing splendid against BIG teams. In fact, our only wonderful performances of the current and the last season have been against those teams. It looks like that motivation and excitement (which are growing when we play against big name teams) are everything in our team. Winning the title is about winning the mid/weak teams though and this is why I think we have a narrow chance to win the Scudetto this season. This is the impact of Calciopoli on our team. The players want to prove something to the world and this is why we haven't lost to any big team under Ranieri so far.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
The players want to prove something to the world and this is why we haven't lost to any big team under Ranieri so far.
It's true but i'd add another reason for our good results vs the big teams, just as important as the motivation.

We all know that we're not a team that can have much possession. We score most of our goals out of nowhere. Camo to Trez, BANG. Del Piero from free kick, BANG. Nedved cross for Amauri, BANG.
We're a team well suited to play the game preffered by the serie A minnows. Defend with 10 man, hunt the opponents down all over the pitch and then strike on a counter or score from a set-piece. The difference between us and the minnows is that we have the required quality to hurt the opponent and create chances.

Ranieri noticed that we can't open up and let a strong opponent lots of space (like Real or Milan are leaving for their opponents). We don't have the required talent in midfield to play that game. He realized what's the kind of game we need to play against the big teams.
Just look at the 2 matches with Real and you'll see.

Good tactics+Motivation is the main reason for our great results vs the big guns.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Ален;1799184 said:
It's true but i'd add another reason for our good results vs the big teams, just as important as the motivation.

We all know that we're not a team that can have much possession. We score most of our goals out of nowhere. Camo to Trez, BANG. Del Piero from free kick, BANG. Nedved cross for Amauri, BANG.
We're a team well suited to play the game preffered by the serie A minnows. Defend with 10 man, hunt the opponents down all over the pitch and then strike on a counter or score from a set-piece. The difference between us and the minnows is that we have the required quality to hurt the opponent and create chances.

Ranieri noticed that we can't open up and let a strong opponent lots of space (like Real or Milan are leaving for their opponents). We don't have the required talent in midfield to play that game. He realized what's the kind of game we need to play against the big teams.
Just look at the 2 matches with Real and you'll see.

Good tactics+Motivation is the main reason for our great results vs the big guns.
That's right. The question is that knowing our lack of creativity in midfield why aren't we interested in signing a talent there?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
That's right. The question is that knowing our lack of creativity in midfield why aren't we interested in signing a talent there?
If Ranieri can turn back time, i'm pretty sure that he'll ask for Xabi Alonso instead of Poulsen.
The main reason for buying Poulsen was the fear of our weak defense. We had a choice midfielder or defender and we made the wrong one imo, but since we chose to buy a midfielder, Ranieri's opinion was to buy a strong DMC who'll protect the defense. ( back then i agreed with him. I also thought that our defense sucks and since we're not buying a defender i wanted a DMC)

Now when he can see that the defense is doing great and that even without 2 DMCs that defense can keep clean sheets, i believe he realized that Poulsen over Xabi was a mistake.

Or at least i hope he thinks this way. :)

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #319
    Manninger 6 wasn't tested

Mellberg 6.5 another solid performance
    Legro 6 better 2nd half
    Chiellini 6.5 Solid
    Molinaro 6 a bit tired

Sissoko 6 too many mistakes in the 1st half
    Tiago 5.5 invisible most of the times
    Marco 6 only for his defensive work
    De Ceglie 5.5 not his position

Del Piero 7 MoM good he scored a splendid FK on his bday
    Iaquinta 6

Ranieri 6 wasn't happy with his De Ceglie-Molinaro decision playing them on one side.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005

Probably because our penalty was a 100% legit and not even an inbred maggot interista would dream of questioning it. So really, there is nothing to discuss. And we played Chievo, btw.

And yeah they could and should've had a penalty when Legro got it on his arm/hand, at least that was my initial reaction. But we would have still won it so it doesn't matter that much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)