[Serie A] Catania 1-1 JUVENTUS (25th September, 2011) (3 Viewers)

MoM

• Buffon

• Licht

• Barzagli

• Pepe

• Vidal

• Krasic

• Elia

• Matri

• Marchisio

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
So, 8 out of 12 it is. Not a disaster, but not exactly a great start to the season either, considering the opponents we played.

The game yesterday could have gone either way really. Conte's switch of Vidal & Marchisio was a necessary move for me. But it turned out having both positive & negative results. On the one hand we became a lot more dangerous up front, more direct even. On the other hand, Pirlo's protection became almost non existent. Something where Vidal seriously lacked, even if he didn't play a bad game.

Buffon 6,5 - Good & confident.
Grosso 5,5 - Meh. Not sure who I'd prefer at LB right now between him & De Ceglie.
Chiellini 4 - Just poor. Quite possibly his worst game ever for us. Don't know what the problem is, but if he doesn't get his act together asap, we're completely screwed.
Barzagli 6,5 - Again a good game. Very composed showing.
Lichtsteiner 6 - All right for me.
Elia 5,5 - For lack of a better word: random. Can't really say it was bad, but I can't really recall a lot of useful stuff either.
Pirlo 5,5 - His most difficult game so far. Especially in the second half where he lacked protection. But he didn't look great himself either to be honest.
Marchisio 6 - Complicated his own game by getting an early & avoidable yellow. Stupid, but again one of our more useful players.
Krasic 6,5 - Great 2nd half. The goal was pure luck, but he also managed to hand Del Piero one on a platter.
Vidal 6 - Not entirely sure what to make of his game. Saw some good stuff, saw some crap as well. Tactically speaking, there's still some work. Makes perfect sense to me why he wasn't started in earlier games.
Matri 5,5 - Unable to make his mark.

Pepe 7 - There's no denying he had a massive impact on the game. And a positive one at that.
Del Piero 5,5 - Incredible miss. Not a good start to the season for him.
Quagliarella -

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
The bottom line is:

No Mirko, no party.
And no red card.

I loved Pirlo and Vidal second half together, I prefer Vidal deeper.
Seriously? We have never been more exposed than when Pirlo-Vidal was the midfield duo. Now, maybe that's a one time thing, but it doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in that set up.

now you see all the "stupid useless running" from pepe and giaccherini when it is not present... it brings the game to halt and makes us to static. for every useless run pepe makes, there is an opponent who has to cover him thus spreading the play and changing the opponents formation to make it easier for the midfielders to find space to operate in.
That's not a bad point.

We'll win the Scudetto!
Yippee!

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
I just preferred Vidal much deeper Buck :p

I even said before this game Marchisio-Pirlo gives more securities at the minute, however second half I thought Vidal played very well.

Dec 31, 2008
Monday 26 September, 2011 [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]
Lo Monaco: 'Juve are Pirlo-dependent'
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Catania's Pietro Lo Monaco has suggested that Juventus are dependent on Andrea Pirlo in the wake of his team's 1-1 draw with the Turin side.

The Elefanti sporting director was speaking after watching his team successfully hold Juve on Sunday afternoon.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Part of Montella's tactics focused on placing a man-marker on Pirlo, who up until facing the Rossazzurri, had been influential to the Bianconeri's recent performances.

Lo Monaco, however, suggested the influence is developing into an over-reliance, when also reflecting on Catania's performance.

“They are Pirlo-dependent, it is he who makes them play. If you take him out then the others become like ants and forsake their play.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]“However, they still have a strong team that never gives up and at the particular moment are going as good as Milan and Inter.

“We played a good game [on Sunday], one that reconciled us with football. It gives us confidence to continue in the same direction.

“The team responded well, played for great stretches of the game without awe, and earned a point, even as they could have collected a win.

“Juve have always taken a lot from their visits to the Massimino, with minimal effort: they remain an opponent we are still unable to beat at home, but we have beaten them in Turin, which is a historic achievement.”

Lo Monaco also brought up the subject of keeping hold of Coach Montella, and reminded fans of the club's track-record for launching coaching talents.

“We have launched [Walter] Zenga who then went away after receiving important offers, and even [Sinisa] Mihajlovic could not resist the wind. If Montella is as good at Catania and Roma require him, can we hold on to him? It would be difficult.

“We have to keep in mind the political cost: they squander so much money, we are a small club that brings in €30m a year.”
[/FONT]

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Abysmal and pathetic first half; drastic improvement in the second.

I hope that goal allows Krasic to regain his confidence, and start performing at the levels witnessed early last season. He is our best winger, and potentially the only reliable one.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Abysmal and pathetic first half; drastic improvement in the second.

I hope that goal allows Krasic to regain his confidence, and start performing at the levels witnessed early last season. He is our best winger, and potentially the only reliable one.
on form alone, pepe has been our best winger so far by a small margin, as for reliability, he showed inconsistencies in the catania game, just as much as pepe does throughout the season

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
As Conte's system is becoming more apparent, it seems as though Giacch and Pepe are the most suitable wingers due to their amazing work-rate. Krasic is one of the laziest wingers going round.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
They may be hard working, but they are sorely lacking in talent and ability. We may beat the lesser lights of the league and get away with playing them in those games, but against more solid opposition, they will be clueless.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
on form alone, pepe has been our best winger so far by a small margin, as for reliability, he showed inconsistencies in the catania game, just as much as pepe does throughout the season
I was talking in general. It's inarguable that Krasic is far superior to any winger we have in terms of talent and ability alone. However, his performances thus far have been somewhat disappointing.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Catania 1 - 1 Juventus

Player Ratings

Buffon-
Thankfully, after a shaky start to the season, I saw definite signs of improvement with Santo Buffon. He patrolled his box carefully and professionally, distributed the ball intelligently, and made two cat like pounces onto the ball which, had he failed, would have resulted in a goal. No chance on the goal he conceded. Dealt well with all else thrown at him. Encouraging....6.5/10.

Lichsteiner-
Defensively solid, offensively lacking what we have all seen in the previous three outings. He is helped significantly, by the fine form of Barzagli. Our Nazi in Swiss clothing was not helped at all by the truly wretched first half performance of Krasic. I remain, in reverence towards Marotta, for solving one of our major problems of the last 5 years. 6.5/10

Grosso-
Offered very little in attack, which is an integral part of Conte's 4-4-2, but gave me more confidence at the back than De ceglie has done this season thus far. He is clearly a stop-gap measure, but if the rest of the team performs, his lack of interest can be inconsequential to our aims. Importantly, he understands, unlike de ceglie, that LB means that he has to defend first and foremost. Did little right and only a little wrong. 5.5/10.

Chiellini-
His worst performance for many moons, which doesn't come as an anomaly, it seems a logical progression. For King Giorgio has lost his crown, and if I was Conte, I would bench him for the Milan game, and bring in Bonucci, or even Sorenson. Because whilst his partner in the middle of defence has excelled, Chiellini has gone downhill, and his place, like any other place, can NOT be assured on the basis of his name and past performances. He doesn't seem at all comfortable in a formation and tactical vision which demands he plays the ball, rather than hooves it forward. Could very easily have given away three goals, but thankfully only gave away just the one...when he didn't even seem to make contact with the opponent until the ball was headed into the net. Worryingly poor. 4/10.

Barzagli-
I am so pleased for Andrea. For alongside Lichsteiner, he has been consistently solid since the start of the season. Made some brilliant tackles, won most, if not all, aerial battles and played the ball simply and with welcome composure. He has far more intelligence (on the ball) than chiellini, reads the game well, and seems to be naturally linking up with Lichsteiner and Pirlo. Worthy of more praise than the majority of Juventini appear willing to bestow upon him. 7/10.

Pirlo-
It had to happen sooner or later. I mean that he was destined for a poor showing. Yes, Catania doubled up on him constantly, and yet his footwork, moving the ball to create space was fine, yet his passing was poor. I believe once the less used quality players (Vidal, elia, vucinic, Quagiarella) are more settled in our starting XI, we will see more of what we love of Pirlo. However, last night he was lacking the beautiful guile and invention we have seen of him in the previous three games. In short, Catania were ready for him. 5/10.

Marchisio-
I can understand why Conte is deploying Vidal as a support striker/ attacking midfielder or LB, but sooner or later, unless Claudio picks up his game, I hope to see Arturo alongside Pirlo, and the Italian benched. Made very few meaningful tackles, his passing was piss-poor, and he never threatened offensively, with any real bite. 5/10

Elia-
I was so happy to see him start, as I am aware of his potential and we spent quite large on his purchase. I thought he played well; used the ball intelligently, tracked back to help Grosso, but essentially failed to make headway into the final third. A competent debut in which he easily outshone his counterpart on the opposite flank. I was seething with rage when I saw him taken off and Krasic remaining on the field in the second half, and although Krasic forced the equaliser, it was Elia who showed me more steel and composure. A satisfactory debut. 6.54/10.

Krasic-
In the first half he was by far our worst player. If not for the fortunate goal and one move in which he got between his two markers, I would say the same of his second half. Seeing how lively and direct Pepe was when he entered the fray, and noting Elia's solid efforts in the first 45 minutes, I would like to see Elia and Pepe as our wingers. He has pace in abundance, but does not seem confident in one on one situations, which should be his bread and butter. I know he has more to offer, but presently, on that anaemic showing, he does not deserve to be starting. 6/10.

Vidal-
Played clearly out of position, Arturo did what he could, but for fucks sake, we brought him to the club because he excelled in Germany as a centrally based midfielder. I can only judge him on what he gave, and whilst he valiantly played on after receiving a knock to the head, and made me smile when he kicked an opponent in the chest; he was poor as a support striker (which is the position he found himself in much more commonly than anywhere deeper). 5/10.

Matri-
I have no doubt of Matri's quality in the box, but his potency is solely dependent upon decent service, and that is what he was not given. Huffed and puffed, but had no hope of blowing the Catania house down when he was given only snippets of useful balls into the box. More due to the rest of the team's lack of urgency and confidence and quality, but still...6/10.

SUBS

Del Piero-
Found himself in one great opportunity to score, but heading has never been his forte. Showed very little, but he has always needed a target man nearby, to be a target as well as taking defenders away from him, allowing him to weave his magic. Nothing to moan or roar with praise about. 5.5/10

Pepe-
He was wonderful! Taking on players, very direct, clearly determined. Should have subbed IN for Krasic...we may have won in such a scenario, for stranegly, Catania had no answer for Pepe! 6.5/10

Quagiarella-
It was warming to my heart simply to see him back in action. But alas...he had little time to prove his worth, and when the majority of his team-mates were having a fucking shocker, what chance did he have to impress??? he tried, but I cannot say that he failed, when all his comrade were suddenly so happy to be avoiding defeat. 6/10.

Conclusion

By a country mile the worst performance of the COnte Juventus, yet we managed, luckily, to draw with a team who have maintained their Serie A status almost exclusively due to their home form. We were poor. Pirlo was double marked, as was Krasic. But so what??? Its no excuse for what I saw. A hint of grinta, but a badly organised XI. Elia needs to be put into the team, as does Krasic, if not the wayward Serb, then play Pepe there. As for Chiellini, he could be dropped, and lets give Bonucci a chance, and I truly believe that Conte will take this option, if Giorgio fails to show more promise in training. Overall, this match was a failure, tactically and grinta wise, for we have to admit, as a club, that we were very lucky to come away with a point against a poor team. Suddenly 3rd spot seems tough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)